Best AMP/DAC for me??? (2MOVE VS. D2 BOA)
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dap_pad

500+ Head-Fier
So I just sold my D2 Viper, never really used it's main feature, rolling op-amps... although it sounded AMAZING to me from my iPod Touch, I just didn't need it seem to be using the opamp feature, so I decided to sell it and see what options I have.

Basically, I'm looking for a new AMP/DAC, so far I'm looking at the:

iBasso D2 Boa
Meier Audio 2Move
GoVibe Magnum

Or should I save up for the "higher-tier" AMP/DACs:

RSA Predator
HeadRoom Pico

I'll be using it from my iTouch and my laptop using mainly the Denon D2000s.

Oh and I have a question about the 2Move, I can use rechargeable 9V batteries but it doesn't include a charger for the batteries? What charger will I need to buy if I do need one?

Can anyone compare the DAC sections of these AMP/DACs to each other? Especially the DAC of the 2Move vs. the Predator or Boa.

THANKS!

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Any chance you could buy your D2 Viper back? That is my recommendation, along with HiFlight's opamp package deal (LM6172 x2, ISL55032, THS4032).

1st and 2nd post have most of the comparisons, but more info is scattered throughout the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/min...-micro-306883/

In my opinion, the 2MOVE is very heavy and seems would be best with a laptop but not a Touch. All the DAC/Amp I reviewed have a great DAC although the Lyrix was a little more limited.

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Or should I save up for the "higher-tier" AMP/DACs:

RSA Predator
HeadRoom Pico

I think you may have made a mistake by saying "higher-tier". The more accurate term would be "much higher-priced". If you look at Skylab's review, the Pico is rated equal to the 2Move in SQ and the Predator ranks lower. However, the price of the 2Move is very very generously low considering its performance.

Just thought I should let you know.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you may have made a mistake by saying "higher-tier". The more accurate term would be "much higher-priced". If you look at Skylab's review, the Pico is rated equal to the 2Move in SQ and the Predator ranks lower. However, the price of the 2Move is very very generously low considering its performance.

Just thought I should let you know.

But if you look at HeadphoneAddict's reviews, the Predator is rated on top, seconded by the D2 Viper, then the 2Move, then the Pico. You see how one person's #1 can end up as another's #4? It's really a matter of opinion.

The 2Move is a good deal, if you're willing to deal with the extra weight. But for a good balance of weight and price, the D2 Boa seems pretty decent. If you have the extra money, I would go for a Predator amp.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 11
Well size isn't really a concern
biggrin.gif
I'm more concerned of the DAC of both. I'm more interested in the 2MOVE and the Boa now
biggrin.gif
Just don't know which one is better for me
frown.gif
Both have a USB powered option which I love, but the Boa has an included AC adapter. However, the 2MOVE will last longer as it has a 9V battery. It's mainly just the sound now that's the deciding factor.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you look at HeadphoneAddict's reviews, the Predator is rated on top, seconded by the D2 Viper, then the 2Move, then the Pico. You see how one person's #1 can end up as another's #4? It's really a matter of opinion.

The 2Move is a good deal, if you're willing to deal with the extra weight. But for a good balance of weight and price, the D2 Boa seems pretty decent. If you have the extra money, I would go for a Predator amp.

Headphoneaddict compared the DACs.
I am interested in the 2Move too!
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 11
I would be happy with any of the #1 - #4 DAC/Amps as my only amp if I could only afford one. My #1 vs #4 is not about which is better but about what my personal preferences in sound signature are, and how well it gets along with the majority of my headphones.

For instance, the Predator seems to sound best with most (but not all) of my headphones. So, it is still good with just about all them and it is not bad with anything. On the other hand, the Proline 2500 just sound bad with the Pico, thin and cold and distant. However, the Pico can beat the Predator with the q-JAYS and Klipsch Image, and half the time the Pico's better with my Freq Show and D2000 (depending on the music). The D2 viper moves down to 4th with the stock opamps, which make a big difference.

I wrote further down in my review some additional detailed descriptions about the sound signatures, and what parts of the music performance each one excelled at or not. That is just as important as the ranking, so take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back