Best Amp/DAC for Denon D2000
Feb 22, 2010 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jchandler3

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community! Long time reader, first time thread starter... I know there are similar threads to this elsewhere, and I really have searched through them extensively. I just can't seem to find a clean answer to my question.

Currently, I'm using the iBasso D3 Python to power all of my cans. I like it pretty well, though I notice it give out occasionally with my D2000s. Even with fresh batteries, it seems to just kind of fart on the big dynamics. I know the Denons are very efficient, but I've always heard they're not very sensitive and need more voltage? (I guess the iBasso is only 7.5V, 5xAAA batteries) I'm thinking of also purchasing the HD650s in the near future.

With that in mind, what do you all suggest to power the D2000s to their full potential? Will it also power the HD650s nicely? I know different cans sound best with different amps, but I can really only afford to buy one nice, home amp. I'm looking at the HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC, currently for $800 (I talked to one of the guys there and he said they're discontinuing it shortly, so I guess I should act fast if that's a good choice?) I would really love to have a DAC built in. I'd also be good with an amp and DAC separately, given the total is definitely under $800.

Any better suggestions than the HR Desktop? Thanks!
smile_phones.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 19
I'd say that the Gilmore Lite (preferably with DPS) is an amazing amp for the D2000 and D5000. It really does everything well and provides a lot of detail and thump, especially for electronic tracks.

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are SS amps better than tube amps for the d2000?

that's what markL and most long time owners recommend, I'm using a hybrid and it sounds great

but I'd be curious to see if someone has had good success with a tube amp as well.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 19
A few good options off the top of my head:

- Anything in your budget from Audio-GD
- Anything in your budget from HeadRoom
- X-Can V8P
- Anything from HeadAmp
- Rudistor (really, really expensive)

There are lots of more options but those seem to be the most recommended amp and DAC makers for Denons.

Out of those, I've heard the lower end Audio-GD offering in the Compass as well as the HeadRoom Desktop, both sounded fantastic with the Denons. The Desktop was quite a bit more detailed, with better bass control and overall more balance, with a much deeper and wider soundstage, but at the time I couldn't fit it into my budget.

I fell in love with my Compass and now I'm torn between upgrade options for my D5000s.

I'm currently looking at either the Audio-GD C2/DAC19 combo, the HeadRoom Desktop, or I may even go all the way up to the HeadRoom Ultra Desktop.

HeadAmp makes some VERY nice amps, but I simply don't have the patience for their ridiculous build times.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 19
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I feel terrible for my poor, poor bank account, but I think I'm gonna have to go with the headroom desktop amp dac combo

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 19
i have Denon AH d2000 headphones, and a decware zen head amp. it was $350. built to order. I love decware as a company. This amp is made to be portable, and is battery powered, but you can get a "battery replacer" plug in for it on amazon. Decware is an excellent company all around and this amp, for some reason does not often get mentioned in this price range. I love it! Steve is also very accesable for even the silliest of questions.. i know this from experience... Audiophile Tube Amps and Tube Gear from DECWARE

I just ordered a KECES 151mk2 usb dac. this also seems to get great reaviews and costs $300 with shipping. This would keep you in your desired price range, from what i have heard ppl say about the KECES, and from my experience with the zen head, it sounds like a great combo... but i dont claim to know much about any of this stuff.... :)

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few good options off the top of my head:

- Anything in your budget from Audio-GD
- Anything in your budget from HeadRoom
- X-Can V8P
- Anything from HeadAmp
- Rudistor (really, really expensive)

Totally agree with the Audio-GD stuff and X-CanV8/V8P 100%. These amps tame the bass a lot and make it much more controlled.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jchandler3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I feel terrible for my poor, poor bank account, but I think I'm gonna have to go with the headroom desktop amp dac combo

I'd recommend the Audio-GD DAC19/C2 combo over the Desktop. Much more detailed and personally I prefer the more aggressive sound of it to the laid back Desktop.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 19
An used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3 will do a nice job w/ the D2000 or D5000. Rudistor is an awesome sounding amp with the Denon's but at a much higher price point. The Graham Slee Solo SRGII also sounds very good w/ the D2000 or D5000. So although I can not list all the available options you can see you have a few to choose from. How about attending a meet to hear some of the amps and you make a more informed decision. Good luck.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about attending a meet to hear some of the amps and you make a more informed decision. Good luck.

I would LOVE to attend a meet. Sorry for the ignorance, but how do I know if one is going to take place near me? I live in north-eastern Ohio.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 19
FiiO E7/E9 combo.

Works great with the Denon cans.

200 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back