Best alternatives to the JBL 305 for tighter budget?
May 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Opus131

100+ Head-Fier
No audio recording or editing, just regular use on PC media (music, movies, gaming etc), so i'm not sure if i should look into monitors but those are the options i see coming up.

I had a pair of M-Audio AV30 which served me ok for many years, but just recently died. I use a pair of Sennheiser HD600 with a Schiit Vali for more serious music listening while everything else from casual music listening to other media i used the M-Audio.

I'm sampling some budget speaker monitors on youtube (using my Sennheiser, hopefully i'm getting an accurate impression) and so far the best to me seem to be the JBL 305, but the cheapest i can find them in my country is around 280 euros:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/25418595602...pid=5338710217&toolid=10029&customid=CUSTOMID

Meanwhile, the most affordable option i've found are the PreSonus Eris E3.5 at 89 euros:

https://www.amazon.it/PreSonus-rife...743294&pd_rd_wg=9c9g9&pd_rd_i=B075QVMBT9&th=1

But they sound kinda bright but harsh to me. Decent detail but lacking in bass and fullness of sound. Their bigger brother is a bit better but at 177 euros i'm not sure they are worth it, as they are close to the JBL at that point:

Meanwhile there's also the Alesis Eelevate 5 MKII which appear to be at the opposite spectrum compared to the PreSonus Eris E3.5, dark and muddy instead of bright and harsh.

If i had the money i'd just get the JBL but i'm seriously short of cash right now. Couldn't work for several months because of the lockdown and got tons of bills so it's not a matter of saving up. I wouldn't even bother buying new speakers right now if the M-Audio were still working.

Veering towards the PreSonus Eris E3.5 as perhaps i can fix them by playing around with the bass settings in the back or from my sound card. 89 euros is really cheap i can just use them as hold overs until i can get back on my feet and perhaps save for the JBL, but maybe there's a better alternative on the same price range OR something that sounds closer to the JBL that aren't monitors. I listen to classical music and even though i do not record music or anything like that i prefer a neutral sound as a matter of principle. but perhaps i can do better by looking at regular speakers considering my money constrains.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 4
What about M-Audio BX5 (D3)?

May 24, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 4
They go about 100 euros each. 89 euros more and i could get the JBL.

Guess i either go below the 100 euros mark or shoot for the JBL since so far in all comparisons i've tried i like them best.

Funny though, for being "monitors" (and thus supposed to be as neutral as possible) it's amazing how different they all sound:

May 26, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 4
Well, just for reference, i decided to go with the PreSonus Eris E3.5 as the price was just too attractive.

They sound a bit better live than on video (just got them obviously, hopefully they improve after break in) but they are in fact a bit tinny, but because of the transparency raising bass actually works. That is, i can raise a bit more than i used to on the M-Audio when even a slightly increase would muddle the sound.

I guess i'll just settle for this and once i'm back on my feet financially i'll just splunge for the JBL. For 89 euros i doubt i can do better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back