Best Alternative IPOD Classic for the car
Feb 21, 2015 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JeremyBedford

New Head-Fier
I am using an IPOD Classic, placed in the glove box of my car, connected to the rear usb port of my Alpine car stereo, using an adapter. The IPOD is then charged, and plays back as well.

The Alpine stereo reads the IPOD well, and it is relatively easy to search for music. My wife has a similar set up in her car, unfortunately we are down to one IPOD as my other IPOD Classic seems to be corrupted, and will not connect to ITunes, and despite sending it off to be fixed, it remains problematic. I was  never an Apple fan, and this issue has put me off IPODs.

What other large capacity player would you recommend. I would buy a Fiio X5 (expandable storage, 2sd cards, good sound quality) but that is my maximum budget. I like the idea of Sansa Clip+ (incredible value), but I like the idea of better quality sound more....I like listen to the car stereo loud. 

The idea of bells and whistles on an mp3 player is not what I ma after, as the IPOD stays in the glove box, and I can use my Android phone on the move (plugging my phone into the stereo does not allow to search/view music so easily) 

Key things would be;
- interface with the car stereo (I think I will have to check with Alpine about this)
- ease of use...I want to be able to easily update it, without hassle 
- storage (i don't have a mega large music collection, but want it all on one device)
- sound quality
- price below £250 (approx. $400)
- longevity (e.g. I won't be looking to change to the latest model from Bang and Olufsen)

Non-issues are;
- size and weight
- gizmos

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 3
I am using an IPOD Classic, placed in the glove box of my car, connected to the rear usb port of my Alpine car stereo, using an adapter. The IPOD is then charged, and plays back as well.

The Alpine stereo reads the IPOD well, and it is relatively easy to search for music. My wife has a similar set up in her car, unfortunately we are down to one IPOD as my other IPOD Classic seems to be corrupted, and will not connect to ITunes, and despite sending it off to be fixed, it remains problematic. I was  never an Apple fan, and this issue has put me off IPODs.

What other large capacity player would you recommend. I would buy a Fiio X5 (expandable storage, 2sd cards, good sound quality) but that is my maximum budget. I like the idea of Sansa Clip+ (incredible value), but I like the idea of better quality sound more....I like listen to the car stereo loud. 

The idea of bells and whistles on an mp3 player is not what I ma after, as the IPOD stays in the glove box, and I can use my Android phone on the move (plugging my phone into the stereo does not allow to search/view music so easily) 

Key things would be;
- interface with the car stereo (I think I will have to check with Alpine about this)
- ease of use...I want to be able to easily update it, without hassle 
- storage (i don't have a mega large music collection, but want it all on one device)
- sound quality
- price below £250 (approx. $400)
- longevity (e.g. I won't be looking to change to the latest model from Bang and Olufsen)

Non-issues are;
- size and weight
- gizmos

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Shouldn't that radio also work with any USB drive? Just get a flash drive big enough to carry your library and call it a day

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 3
Shouldn't that radio also work with any USB drive? Just get a flash drive big enough to carry your library and call it a day

This is exactly what I was thinking. My $150 Pioneer car receiver can read a flash drive. If your Alpine is so old that it does not have USB input, spend a couple hundred on a new receiver. Then buy you some flash drives. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back