Best All-around Headphone?
May 15, 2008 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Akabeth

500+ Head-Fier
As the title says.... "Best All-around Headphone?" or is there such a thing.

I say this by the intention of enjoying music to its fullest; not nit-picking and critical listening.

Inquiry question: I get the notion that the neutral headphones are for reference usage. Is that right at all?? or am I completely getting the wrong impression?
confused.gif

May 15, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 22
For me the Edition 9's are bar none my favorite All-around headphone. They aren't great for quartets or other light ensembles (or opera which I don't listen to often). They dominate everything else. Other options for 'enjoying the music' for me would include the AD2000s, RS1s, and Balanced HD650s. As for your question, neutrality doesn't necessarily mean reference, although the two usually go hand in hand. Reference is one of those words that gets tossed around that I don't fully understand. I think reference ultimately is what the individual considers most natural sounding (not necessarily neutral) thus while one persons reference may be the HD650s which are bass heavy, another persons could be the SA5000s which accentuate the treble range. There are certain phones however that certainly wouldn't fit into this 'reference' category as a result of their coloration (some Grado's, L3000's? I would assume, ED9's perhaps).

May 15, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 22
Current production or not?

My favorite all-around headphone currently being made is the Sennheiser HD-600. It does everything well and has been terrific with every genre I've thrown at it.

May 15, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by milezone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the Edition 9's are bar none my favorite All-around headphone. They aren't great for quartets or other light ensembles (or opera which I don't listen to often). They dominate everything else. Other options for 'enjoying the music' for me would include the AD2000s, RS1s, and Balanced HD650s. As for your question, neutrality doesn't necessarily mean reference, although the two usually go hand in hand. Reference is one of those words that gets tossed around that I don't fully understand. I think reference ultimately is what the individual considers most natural sounding (not necessarily neutral) thus while one persons reference may be the HD650s which are bass heavy, another persons could be the SA5000s which accentuate the treble range. There are certain phones however that certainly wouldn't fit into this 'reference' category as a result of their coloration (some Grado's, L3000's? I would assume, ED9's perhaps).

Thank you very much for input.

Actually, I'm REALLY considering getting a pair of Ed9 or even the GS-1000's right now (although not as much). I would love to have 3 full-sized headphones to "use" in total. I have a pair of Sony MDR-SA5000 and am really loving it
tongue.gif
. I don't know how to explain the sound, but I love how it portrays the "higher" end of the sound spectrum? like the percussions, drums, tight bass, detail is great during 'gaming sessions'!
smily_headphones1.gif
but sometimes on some music tracks it does sound a bit harsh on my ears, I don't know how to explain it. Fyi, I listen to rock, classical, orchestra, hip-hop, actually almost every genre. So do you think the sound out of Ed9's and/or GS1000's will be great for me?

EDIT: I hear the Grado's or actually the GS-1000 in particular is AWESOME on the midrange; is that like vocals/human voice in general?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Current production or not?

My favorite all-around headphone currently being made is the Sennheiser HD-600. It does everything well and has been terrific with every genre I've thrown at it.

Anything, production or non-production.

HD 600's are great phones, but I sold it to friend as I love the SA-5000 more
eek.gif
for my usage preferences.

May 15, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 22
Not much experience with ED9s.

I love the GS1000 and think it is an excellent all-around option. Other good all-rounders I have tried: HD650, DT990, D5000.

May 15, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD 600's are great phones, but I sold it to friend as I love the SA-5000 more
eek.gif
for my usage preferences.

No shame in that - I love my SA-5000, too. If this covers everything, I'll switch my vote to the K-1000. Wish it was still in production.

May 15, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 22
I would consider the RS1 if you are thinking Grado as IMO it outdoes the GS1000. The two are very different but I vastly prefer the RS1 as it is more engaging and interesting. If you like the GS1000 check out the K701, when properly amped I find it to be a better GS1000 (neither are my preference though). Also think about the AD2000, even unpowered these are great.

May 15, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'

EDIT: I hear the Grado's or actually the GS-1000 in particular is AWESOME on the midrange; is that like vocals/human voice in general?

GS1000 isn't AWESOME in the midrange. You need to have a very nice tube amp such as Zana Deux with right tube to make its midrange sing well. For me, GS1000 has biggest soundstage, detail and nice seperated instrument.

Edition 9 is a very good phone. However, its sound isn't very relaxing with solid amp. I feel fatigue for listening at long time and loud volume which is a requirement to make the phone sing well

ATH-W5000 is a good starting phone. If i have to rate between the w5000 and edition 9 , I will rate edition 9 is 8/10 and the w5000 will be 7/10 . And the phones get perfect score are sony r10 or sennheiser he90(
rolleyes.gif
I still haven't heard them but know for sure that they are extremely very good).

OmegaII is also better than edition 9. It is more comfortable than 9 and has fuller sound.

May 15, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 22
My favorite is the Edition 9, easy. Though, prefer the GS1000 for Jazz and Classical. But for everything like Pop, Hip Hop, electro... I find the GS1000 bad compared to Ed9.
Something I don't like about the GS1000 is that the vocals seem a bit far away, which is disturbing because the instruments are like next to you. Though, for small intimate non-vocal live performances (like in a small jazz club), GS1000 can't be beat. Still, Ed9 better all-rounder.

May 15, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 22
Sextett, I use it for everything.

May 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 22
HD600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back