Best Album Of 1980
Oct 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

StratocasterMan

Headphoneus Supremus
X - Los Angeles

Any better ideas?

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 29
I can think of a very much more popular album that wasn't really better, except it had couple good tracks. But that's all it had, it wasn't really a better listen all the-way-through.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 29
Hey Strato - these are good threads - really gets you thinking about your collection :)

From my collection there is one standout that is miles above anything else I have for 1980 (and that includes Dire Straits "Making Movies" & Icehouse' original album) ........

IMO it was their best release from a superlative career .....

Steely Dan - "Gaucho"

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 29
Three-way tie for me.

Ace of Spades is a sleazy good time (though not Motorhead's best album IMO), Maiden's debut is awesome punkish NWOBHM, and the virtuoso performances on Di Meola's most indulgent album, nothing short of brilliant.

@OP, care to post more info on why you think that album is the best of 1980? Just an album cover doesn't entice me to check it out all.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

@OP, care to post more info on why you think that album is the best of 1980? Just an album cover doesn't entice me to check it out all.

Well, just a few things to begin with:

X - Los Angeles was an album about heroin in L.A.

It virtually predicted the descent of the L.A. scene into heroin that would much later destroy bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Guns and Roses, yet "Los Angeles" appeared way before their time.

In 1980, that was just a prediction.

However, I'm still waiting for comments on some much more popular records from 1980.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 29
Van Halen - Women And Children First
It probably isn't the best VH album but it's not far from it.
images

Joy Division - Closer
Might be the most depressing album I own.  An album that grows on me more and more every year.
images

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 29

Fresh fruit for rotting vegetables

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 29
heaven and hell - black sabbath

well recorded and the album that distanced sabbath from ozzy.  interestingly, ozzy released blizzard of ozz in 1980, i also liked that album a lot

i really dig the pretenders - the pretenders as well.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 29
Zenyatta Mondata probably deserves mention.

The two I've probably listened to the most from 1980 (excepting my pick below, for best album) are Duke (Genesis), and Women and Children First (VH).

Overall, though, it has to be Back in Black by a landslide.  Monumental, historic album.

Oct 30, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:
However, I'm still waiting for comments on some much more popular records from 1980.

You mean like Back in Black. I was 16 when that record came out. The Clash released London Calling in 1980 too. Those two records were pretty popular as I recall, one might even say they are iconic at this point. I never saw AC/ DC but I saw the Clash in 1982. Something a little more obscure perhaps from that year was Pete Townsend's solo album, Empty Glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back