Best album for testing audio equipment?
Dec 12, 2002 at 8:21 AM Post #16 of 25
I've been using Faithless' Outrospective a lot... there is some stuff in there that really displays the stereo imaging of a system... I also use a lot of Massive Attack because I like them and their recording quality is high.

Dec 13, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 25
Classical lovers might try

Shostakovich, Symphony No. 8, Bernard Haitink, Concertgebouw Orchestra
Decca/London

possibly the greatest orchestral recording ever made...

Dec 13, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 25
I use cowboy junkies Trinity Sessions (my fav cd of all time). Great recording with lots of subtlties. It was recorded in an abandon church so there are ambient sounds that are not suppose to be there but add to this outstanding recording (like the cealing fan you can hear faintly on track one)

Buy it, listen to it and enjoy!!!

Dec 14, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #19 of 25
I use Pink Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond" from the Wish you were here CD.

I think it's a perfect test CD since you have the delicacy on one hand and various instruments playing in unisom on the same track. From lows to highs. The entire dynamic spectrum is covered.

Dec 18, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #21 of 25
I have been using selections from several CDs

Jennifer Warnes "Famous Blue Raincoat" & "The Hunter"

Mark Knopfler "The Ragpicker's Dream"

Holly Cole "Temptation"

Analekta "Les Must 8" This is a Canadian record label compilation disk

Lisa Loeb "Firecracker"

Sultans of Swing -- The very best of Dire Straits

Dec 18, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 25
Oh yeah, Famous Blue Raincoat is a good one. I used to use it until I bought it on vinyl and sold my CD. I seem to remember disliking the sound of the bass on Hunter.

Jan 7, 2003 at 12:46 AM Post #23 of 25
Much as I disgree with their wholehearted recommendation of Grado phones, I do have to agree with What Hi-Fi's Test CD recommendations.

James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Arvo Part - Fratres/Tabula Rasa
India.Arie - Acoustic Soul
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Nitin Sawhney - Prohesy

and the one I haven't listened to

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Jan 7, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #24 of 25
bangraman, does What Hi Fi say what each of these tracks is good for (e.g. bass, treble, soundstaging...)? I'm especially interested in the Arvo Pärt Tabula Rasa, since I own it but have never thought of using it for demoing.

Jan 7, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

I like the vinyl pressing of Paul Simons Graceland. The voices and instruments are fantastic as is the soundstaging and imaging

That is a good album, especially on headphones. "Homeless" sounds amazing, particulary in the dark. Personally, I use an early 90's Columbia Jazz cd recorded by Sony. I do not believe it was ever availiable for retail sale, but if you ever have a chance to pick one up it makes a terrific test album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back