Best Active Speakers
Jan 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

sphinxvc

Headphoneus Supremus
I started this thread looking for active speakers recommendations, now it's just a discussion thread, I'm open to any kind of speaker related discussion or speaker component discussion.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 105
Swans M1s customs. Spot on at 1K but with shipping, its gonna go over. If not the Swans T200B, a level lower than the M1s at a price of 700$

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 105
KRK Rokit 10-3

10" woofer, 4" midrange woofer & 1" tweeter (140watts total)

Plenty of sound to fill a 12x10 room.

I had a chance to listen to them at a Guitar Center about two weeks ago and neutral is the first word that came to mind.  I was in one of the listening rooms and closed the door but ambient noise still filtered in so I had to turn them up a bit louder than what I'd listen to them at home, but they had PLENTY of bass and still had a clear sound, no distortion.  If you want transparency these will fit the criteria ... and your budget.

I don't know if they are 'reference' but Genelecs are what come to mind if you want reference quality ... but Genelecs are at a reference price range as well.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 105
I prefer the Adam ARTist 5 for neutrality over the KRK or Dynaudio (they are what we use for audio mastering), but they are a bit over your budget. I have not done a side by side with the A5x. But if they are even close to the ARTist, they will be fantastic.  

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 105
800 each. 

I don't know of a stockpile of FR graphs anywhere. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 105
Ah, I found pairs for $1.2K at B&H.  They look good, I'll have to read up more on them once I get home.  Where does everyone stand on subs for music?  I've heard some say no sub marries well enough for music, and that you don't need a sub if your 2-channel set up is right.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 105
I wouldn't be without one for recreational listening, as I'm into bass-heavy electronica. As long as it's not overpowering, it adds a nice depth. I like to think of it as the sub should be so transparent that you don't notice it's there until you turn it off.

I'd advice against it for mastering and mixing though.

Jan 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 105
Jan 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 105
I'm going with a small Hsu STF-1 sub mated with small Emotiva airmotiv4 active monitors (see other thread). If I were going for the airmotiv6s or something in the 7 or 8 inch woofer range, or something that clawed down into the high 30s -3dB, I might forego the sub but I think this will be a good little combo.

My listening will be purely for enjoyment at my home office desk.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 105
Those Airmotiv6 look to have pretty good frequency response, especially for the price ... I'd be curious to hear them. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 105
Quote:
I prefer the Adam ARTist 5 for neutrality over the KRK or Dynaudio (they are what we use for audio mastering), but they are a bit over your budget. I have not done a side by side with the A5x. But if they are even close to the ARTist, they will be fantastic.  

Liamstrain, do you have any more information on this you could share?  Seems like you have first hand experience with them.  Hard to find much on google in reviews or graphs.  I was able to dig up a video in german, it didn't help much.

When you listen to the Artist 5s, do you feel a lack of sub-bass or bass?  My room acoustics won't be ideal probably, but I don't want to have to go out and buy a sub because of that.

How "nearfield" are these?  What's distance do you listen at and what's the ideal distance would you say?

Lastly, what are your preferences?  Or, better yet, what headphones do you like & what don't you like?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back