Best $300-$500 Over-Ear Headphones
Apr 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Deoxys243

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm looking for some good headphones that are $300-$500, over-ear (Preferably open-back as well), and portable. Each time I think I've found the perfect pair of headphones, there's a con such as "Best with an amp" or "Too uncomfortable." I would like for it to also be noise canceling, good sound quality, and comfortable. It doesn't matter whether it's wireless or not. This isn't for studio use, but it's for portable use with my iPhone. Anything that fits these would be very appreciated! Thank you!

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 8
If by "open back" you mean open headphones, they are not ever noise cancelling. They provide zero isolation from your environment, and they leak a lot of sound. You'll need to go with closed headphones for portable use.

What genres of music do you listen to? Do you favor a neutral sound? A bass heavy sound?

As for comfort, it's very much a personal thing. So any headphone you research, someone will find it uncomfortable. Although some headphones do have a reputation for generally being more comfortable than others.

May 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 8
If by "open back" you mean open headphones, they are not ever noise cancelling. They provide zero isolation from your environment, and they leak a lot of sound. You'll need to go with closed headphones for portable use.

What genres of music do you listen to? Do you favor a neutral sound? A bass heavy sound?

As for comfort, it's very much a personal thing. So any headphone you research, someone will find it uncomfortable. Although some headphones do have a reputation for generally being more comfortable than others.

Thanks for the reply.

I listen to trap and EDM, so probably something bass heavy. I'm not worried as much about the comfort and noise-cancelling aspect as much as I am the sound quality.

May 5, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 8
HE-400s are amazing for EDM and are currently on sale for $299. I particularly like them for drum and bass because they have fantastic bass resolution, too. Some dubstep wobbles have incredible texturing. Check out this review and notice how they rank compared to all the other headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

They do really need an amp to shine their best, though, because they are not very efficient headphones. So they would sound good with an iPhone; they just might not get loud enough for you without an amp (depends on how loud you like to listen). They are also definitely not for using outside the home because you can hear your environment and they leak a lot of sound. But these are arguably unbeatable for their price if you like good bass and for the genres you listen to.

May 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 8
I guess the one headphone that always comes out from the guy above me (in the $300-$500 price range) is the HE-400. But yeah, I support him too. It just goes to show how good they actually are. :)

And about active noise canceling, I wouldn't look into those. That feature ruins the sound quality too much, it's not perfected yet.

May 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Most would prefer a portable to be closed and not require an amp. Consider the Sony 7520 or Sennheiser Momentum. 

May 5, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Shure SRH1540 is a warm and noise-cancelling (closed) yet very comfortable headphone.
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh1540-premium-closed-back-headphones
You don't have to provide them with an amp... though, they will scale up (it'll only better them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back