Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Aug 29, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by hughwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can i find out which version of the DAC i have? I bought it around a month ago from Stanley's ebay shop. Also, how long have you burnt yours in for? the headphone amp is making the bass a little boomy on my sennheiser HD497's, is this because it is just too powerful?

Thanks

Hugh

The MK6 has cosmetic differences from the MK5. If your LED is always and only changes from red to green, and if you see little rectangles below the input numbers on the front face, you have a MK5.

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #32 of 324
Yep, it looks like i have a mk5, i am guessing that this means that the "recording" phono outputs are also fixed volume (eg. not affected by the headphone volume dial).

I am looking to get a pair of Beyer DT880's at some point soon, and i am awaiting a PM66-KI so i think i will just use the headphone jack on the amp, its a shame, as i quite liked the all in one solution!

Oh well, its still doing wonders for my rather crappy cd player!

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #33 of 324
I have been trying out a mod that Stanley asked me to see how easy it is to carry out, plus any recommendations on the procedure. You'll need above average soldering skills I reckon. The mod itself works on my MK3 and MK6, so it should work on the whole TC-7510 range. No use writing how good it is. I just don't know how I ever lived without it.

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #34 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]No use writing how good it is.

I do not agree. At all. Is this something that could become the MK VII?

Sep 1, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #35 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not agree. At all. Is this something that could become the MK VII?

Don't know if it will become the MKVII, but I doubt it. What I understand that it applies to all versions, so even the MKI buyers will be able to benefit from the mod. Stan said he is giving the info out for free to the Beresford buyers. People who can't solder would be able to get him to do the mod for a small fee, or take it to anyone with proper soldering skills to get it done. The mod is just two resistors, two electrolytic caps and two ceramic caps. I make that less than U$2.00 in parts. Took me less than 30 minutes to fit. It's one of these things that have to be heard in order to believe how good it is. I did mine on one channel first, so I could compare the unmodded and modded signal. I am not going back to the unmodded version.

Sep 1, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #36 of 324
Quote:

It's one of these things that have to be heard in order to believe how good it is.

You're making us very curious. What exactly has improved?

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #37 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're making us very curious. What exactly has improved?

There is a wider soundstage, more detail in the vocals and instruments, and an increase in the dynamics. It's like a completely different DAC altogether. I have been trying to get those same results by changing the opamp on a MK1 I also have. I didn't quite succeed, even after spending quite a bit of money on various opamps. This cheap mod was so simple in comparison, I am still trying to figure out why it works so well.

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #38 of 324
How hard was the mod to do? I just got the instructions from Stanley but the soldering bit looks tricky at one point. I have never soldered before so I was seeking maybe fiercefreaks hands for this trick lol.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #39 of 324
Fitting the mod is easy for an expert solder operator. The hardest bit is removing the little yellow coloured caps. I heartily recommend this mod. Stan indicated that he'll fit it for a small fee for UK customers who can't solder.
I done the mod for one friend of mine that I had encouraged to buy the MK3. He was excited the 1st day. I haven't heard from him since Friday though. He probably can't hear the phone ringing
280smile.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #42 of 324
Quote:

There is a wider soundstage, more detail in the vocals and instruments, and an increase in the dynamics. It's like a completely different DAC altogether. I have been trying to get those same results by changing the opamp on a MK1 I also have. I didn't quite succeed, even after spending quite a bit of money on various opamps. This cheap mod was so simple in comparison, I am still trying to figure out why it works so well.

Wait a minute. The dac that bests all those expensive multi thousand dollar dacs now improves tremendously by changing a couple dollars worth of parts?

Hmmm...

Now don't get me wrong, I'm in the market for a flexible, inexpensive dac, but jeez, how can one judge what the sound quality of this thing is when we have a fanboy flogging the Beresford, then all of a sudden it improves vastly with a simple mod.

Ah, this place drives me nuts...

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #43 of 324
I'm doing the mod with FierceFreaks help. So if everyone can wait a few weeks we will see. The mod is to the analogue output stage which I initially thought could not be modded aka the Zhalou. Supposedly it really improves everything. I'll give it a fair review as I am determined to NOT be a fanboy of anyone except Mister X but that's just because he's funny.

You can email Stanley if you are an owner of the 7510. He can send you the info or not. I am only sharing it with Fierce for now.

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #44 of 324
$40 for him to do it and test it on a brand new model. $2 for parts confirmed. $30 + ship for retrofitting - if i understood correctly.

what is so master about the master soldering? i've soldered before, but wouldn't consider it master work...is there some test? ("if you can solder your own functioning motherboard from scratch in under 5 minutes...")

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #45 of 324
I've never soldered anything. That's the trick really. Lack of any soldering experience.

Seems like a fine deal considering the Zhalou 2.5C is $250 new.

I would say that it would be a Dac well worth the $$. It already is on the Zhalou 2.5C level stock vs stock. I imagine that the mod will make it better than the 2.5C stock at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back