Beoplay E8
Jan 18, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #151 of 581
My Mandarins just shipped
The included Comply's are quite good at isolation - and someone here said they aren't even the isolation model.

Are there different spinfit models? Which one is recommended for the E8's?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #152 of 581
I bought CP100 in Medium for E8. I also got same in small by accident, but prefer the medium. (Keeping the small in my tip box collection.) CP100 hold on to E8 shaft sturdily. A bear to remove them, caring to avoid tearing them up.

CP800 for my Shure SE-215.

Came across this Comply page. Tap the E8 icon in it and see the various 200 series models for E8.

https://www.complyfoam.com/b-o-play/

Looking at the actual Comply and pics of Sport Pro and Isolation models is hard to tell which Comply comes with E8.

Now I went and did it. I found assorted Comply in my box, some with what appears like the correct bore. Plus some Monster gels that might be worth a try. Meanwhile, I thought I was happily settled. :wink: My oldie Comply lack the grille seen inside the included Comply.

_________

I got somewhat educated on Comply.

Isolation is similar looking to Sport, which I take it is actually similar in degree of isolation, with Sport coming with a non-slip outer surface. That non-slip surface is to help IEMs remain in your ears during activities like jumping-jacks. The Comfort model, being round, is intended to isolate, but with less surface area in contact with the ear canal. I assume that the roundness means you get a specific circular contact point in the canal, versus an extended circular contact point as in the Isolation and the Sport.

My several years-old Comply work okay, but the bore is Infinitesimally too large. Those Comply can wind up staying in the ear when the E8 is removed. So I might go for a set of tx-200 Isolation (with the wax guard) to spend some time with. (I pretty much know I'm not going to be doing jumping jacks in the foreseeable future.)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #153 of 581
Got these last night from Amazon. Package was opened, they were clearly used, so I requested a refund. I was too curious, though, and decided to try them out.

But one thing I noticed today is that the right earphone loses a lot of volume every so often, and it stays like that until I pause the music. After 10 seconds of pause, the volume is back. Very weird and very frustrating. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, is there any way I can permanently disable transparency mode? If I adjust my left earphone, transparency kicks in, and it’s annoying.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #154 of 581
Got these last night from Amazon. Package was opened, they were clearly used, so I requested a refund. I was too curious, though, and decided to try them out.

But one thing I noticed today is that the right earphone loses a lot of volume every so often, and it stays like that until I pause the music. After 10 seconds of pause, the volume is back. Very weird and very frustrating. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, is there any way I can permanently disable transparency mode? If I adjust my left earphone, transparency kicks in, and it’s annoying.

I have a feeling you may have possibly been sent a defective pair. Unfortunately there is no way to disable transparency mode... Do you play/pause randomly as well? You may not be double tapping correctly (which was the issue I was having).

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #155 of 581
I agree. I wonder if quality control is an issue on these. My first pair had an odd sound quality issue during transparency mode. Sounded like a blow driver-but not when listening to music - only transparency.

I purchased them at Crutchfield and their support was great. They sent out a new pair ahead of receiving mine back. The new pair didn’t exhibit this and I’m enjoying breaking them in.

Try again - be careful where you buy.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #156 of 581
Had mine for a week now & they appear to be fault free, thankfully.

I have the Comply Comfort + Plugs on mine & now the sound has opened up, they sound excellent.

Worth every penny I paid for them.

To sum them up in one word....Fantastic

Get yourself a pair & enjoy.

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #157 of 581

I have the Comply Comfort + Plugs on mine & now the sound has opened up, they sound excellent.

Does the Comply Comfort improve bass and deliver sufficient isolation ?

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #158 of 581
I'm no bass head, I do prefer the brighter end of the music scale.

I use mine with Poweramp & there is plenty of bass. More than I need. So yeah the bass is better than with the included foam plugs.

I haven't used them in a noisy environment yet so I don't know about the isolation, when I do I'll let you know.

Hope that helps?

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #159 of 581
I'm no bass head, I do prefer the brighter end of the music scale.

I use mine with Poweramp & there is plenty of bass. More than I need. So yeah the bass is better than with the included foam plugs.

I haven't used them in a noisy environment yet so I don't know about the isolation, when I do I'll let you know.

Hope that helps?

Helps. No store here that I can try before buying.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #160 of 581

I have purchased all of the Comply Plugs since I had to purchase size S for my smaller ear-canals. I have been using Comfort during last week and I am very satisfied with comfort, sound and isolation. Have been using them on local train and subway and isolation was plenty enough for those environments. Take your time when using Comply Plugs and give them 20-30 seconds with ”hand-support” until they expand in your ear.

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #161 of 581
I have purchased all of the Comply Plugs since I had to purchase size S for my smaller ear-canals. I have been using Comfort during last week and I am very satisfied with comfort, sound and isolation. Have been using them on local train and subway and isolation was plenty enough for those environments. Take your time when using Comply Plugs and give them 20-30 seconds with ”hand-support” until they expand in your ear.

Thanks, great tip that, for me, serves as a reminder.

Just a few minutes ago I did the holding in place with my recently arrive tx-200 isolations. Doing so makes sure that the expansion does not push the IEM out while expanding, but to expand in place and expand within the ear canal. That's an improvement over yesterday's insertion by not holding in place.

I'll probably spring for a 3-size Comfort set to get a feel for them.

Edit: Sprung. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #162 of 581
Thanks.

Hopefully they'll be fine.

Has anyone done a back to back test between these & the Sony'

I've compared these back-to-back with the Sony WF1000xs. In short, the sound signature of the E8s are much better than the WF1000xs in my opinion, and the E8s have far fewer dropouts.
- The Sony's have a prominent mid-bass hump that is not present on the E8
- The Sony's don't have as much sub-bass
- The Sony's sound signature is warm in comparison to the E8, meaning they have less HF extension
- The Sony's have a smaller sound stage that's much less 3D (spacious) than the E8s
- A a result of the above characteristics, the Sony sound is more congested than the E8s; it's harder to follow a line of orchestration in the background with the Sony's.
- The Sony's have no means to control the volume. It's more bothersome than I thought it would be.
- Battery life on the Sony's is 2-2.5 hours vs. 4 for the E8s
- The Sony's stick out of the ear further than the E8s, have a cantilever action and distort my ear canals more than the E8s while I walk.
- The Sony's have many more drop-outs than the E8s which is surprising considering the size of their antennas
- The Sony case is much larger than the E8s
- The Sony's have a white noise background that is absent from the E8s
- The Sony's don't periodically top off the charge, so you can pull them out of the case with a half charge even though the battery in the case is full.
- I had to turn off my iPhone and pair the Sony's with my Samsung Tab S2 to get them to update to the latest software revision. Perhaps Sony's software didn't like my Apple watch.

+ The Sony's have a noise reduction that is mildly effective, but the noise isolation is good with both
+ I like Sony's transparency mode better than the E8
+ The Sony's don't have right bud crackling in the background on acoustic pianos, guitars, harp, etc., that the E8s exhibit
+ I got the Sony's for $120 cheaper than the E8s

In summary, the E8s don't leave me wishing I had picked up a wired pair of IEMs, until they hit certain tracks that cause them to produce a right bud cracking. I'm sending mine back for an even exchange with Amazon tomorrow.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #163 of 581
My symbio Mandarins arrived. Beoplay E8 sound improved during an initial test within a quiet environment, but my ear canal shapes don't work well with them for commuting duty.

I could tell earlier today when the non-moving train I sat in was running the heating fan. The fan sound was reduced on insertion, but not all that much. Opening my jaw reduced the seal; closing jaw brought it back where it was. I tried both medium and small tip sizes.

My medium Spin Fits, on the other hand, accommodated whatever shape is going on in my ears. Far less fussy to insert. More confidence that the E8s will remain in place. Opening jaw had no seal reducing effect whatsoever.

I'll hold onto the Mandarins out of curiosity, testing them with other IEMs. As for E8, having tried the Mandarins is spurring me to give a test run with the included Comply to see what they do to the sound.

I hadn't tried Comply because my initial experience listening to E8 demos in the store was with the included medium silicones — and I was taken aback by a fit and seal that delivered the kind of sound that, well, sealed the deal for me.

Before that (and with other IEMS), I'd use Shure Olives to reach the depth what I was hearing. But I learned reading Headfi somewhere that the olives could blunt some treble. So I kind of wanted to remain with silicones and then was introduced to Spin Fits and acquired them just prior to my E8's showing up. So it was Spin Fit from then on. Beoplay stock silicones and included Comply are still sitting in the poly bag.

Exact same experience with the Mandarins and Spinfits. Never able to get a good seal with medium and small-size Mandarins causing a complete lack of bass. Medium size Spinfits create a good seal and greatly enhanced SQ. Of course, YMMV.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #165 of 581
If one were to try Spinfits how is the sizing? If a medium in the supplied E8's works for size than the same in the Spinfits?
I have a set of Mandarins on the way however for $8.99 I have no problem grabbing a pair of Spinfits as well.

Someone said the CP100 model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back