Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Apr 28, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #316 of 327
I bought a DAC3 back in 2018 and have been very satisfied with the sound over the years.
Last October I got the itch to try something different and bought a Holo May L2, a highly regarded (pricey) discrete R2R dac that also showed excellent technical measurements.
The May L2 sounded really good, with a very attractive way of reproducing instrumental timbre. I kept the DAC3, but after initial comparisons I listened almost exclusively to the May for the following 5 months.
Anyway a month or so ago I decided to rationalise my setup and dedicate some funds for something non audio related. Since the May was still pretty new and its functionality was duplicated, I sold it and reverted to the DAC3.
The surprising part of this story is that I realised the DAC3 does some things better that I was missing with the May. The DAC3 has a more direct and neutral sound that better differentiates qualities (or otherwise) of recordings. The DAC3 also had a better sense of pace, which I think is related to its transient clarity. Bottom line is that I don't miss the May and mostly prefer the DAC3 for what I perceive as more truth to source.
The May did have a certain alluring quality, but ultimately I think it imposed a personality onto recordings rather than uncovering their distinctive qualities.

May 27, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #319 of 327
I have a ifi Zen Stream feeding a Benchmark DAC3 HCG to a Benchmark HPA-4.

I can not seem to find opinions on using USB vs SPDIF from Zen to DAC3. What would be the preference?

May 27, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #322 of 327
My experience is that DAC3 is input agnostic, ie. all inputs sound the same. Tested with Allo DigiOne vs. plain USB out of same Raspberry Pi.
My experience is the opposite. The analogue inputs I.e. RCA - sounded different. A bit more organic but less detailed than the USB input. The analogue and digital conversion is treated separately in the DAC3. I’m happy to concede it was all in my head but the USB input sounded more digital to my ears, more detailed and precise but also less forgiving and ultimately more fatiguing on poorly recorded material. Where as the RCA connections always reminded me I was listening in the analogue domain. I still use my DAC3 HGC every day and have done for five or so years.

May 27, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #323 of 327
Thanks, guys. I'm also noting a slightly longer delay in the song playing with USB. I'll make note of this and give that part another listen.

May 28, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #324 of 327
My experience is the opposite. The analogue inputs I.e. RCA - sounded different. A bit more organic but less detailed than the USB input. The analogue and digital conversion is treated separately in the DAC3. I’m happy to concede it was all in my head but the USB input sounded more digital to my ears, more detailed and precise but also less forgiving and ultimately more fatiguing on poorly recorded material. Where as the RCA connections always reminded me I was listening in the analogue domain. I still use my DAC3 HGC every day and have done for five or so years.
That is another thing, analogue. I was comparing digital inputs only, as @RickInHouston asked. And I guess that RCA analogue input is not converted to digital and back to analogue, so if you use analogue input, you only use the headphone / preamplifier function of HGC, not the DAC part. So it's basically apples to oranges...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #326 of 327
Hi guys,

How about the headphone amplifier inside the DAC3? Is it able to drive a TOTL headphone like Hifiman HE1000 Stealth?

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #327 of 327
Hi guys,

How about the headphone amplifier inside the DAC3? Is it able to drive a TOTL headphone like Hifiman HE1000 Stealth?
As I understand the DAC3 still sports the HPA2 headphone amp, just as the DAC2 did. And that one was very potent and clean, so I’d say yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back