Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jun 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #2,986 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Does Benchmark have any closed-headphone recommendation to go with the DAC1? I am currently enjoying your open-headphone recommendation of the HD650s.

Thanks!
cansman

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #2,987 of 3,058
Hi Cansman,

Unfortunately, I can't recommend any closed-back headphones.  I haven't tried more then 10-15 different models, but I have yet to find any that I PERSONALLY enjoy as much as my HD650's.  But, as I said, I haven't tried most models. There may be something out there for me, but I'm so happy w/ my 650's that I really don't look too much further. 
floatsmile.png

Best,
Elias

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #2,988 of 3,058
Hi Elias

I'm in the UK and have recently bought a Benchmark DAC1 USB.

Delighted with it so far and would appreciate your advice.

My OS is WinXP and I use Foobar2000 (v 1.1.1) to playback FLAC files using output device setting DS:Benchmark 1.0, with output format set to 24-bit.

I know that USB playback is 'limited' to 24/96, but when I playback 24/192 it still works but I'm not clear on how/where the down sampling is being processed, so would appreciate your help.

Thanks
good-vibrations

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2,989 of 3,058
Hi good-vibrations (btw, I love that song!!)

In the scenario you've described above, I can't say for sure where the sample-rate conversion is happening. However, I am certain that it is within the computer, and most likely within Foobar or Kmixer.

Either way, I would recommend not setting it above 96 kHz.

Best,
Elias

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,990 of 3,058
Just got a Benchmark DAC-1 PRE for my Genelec 8040 monitors. The combination is just fantastic... Wonderful little box :) Doesn´t seem to matter what source I use, all sounds the same to me. Even highly jittery optical via my old LCD TV. Before I had the PRE, I had the normal DAC-1 as a loaner from a local distributor and quickly fell in love with the highly transparent sound. Tried quite a few DACs with the Genelecs and this is by far the best synergy I´ve heard out of them. Almost all preamps have issues with how sensitive the Genelecs are when driven via XLR. On my previous system, I could only use 1-8 out of 75 volume settings... Now with the -30dB attenuators engaged it´s perfect, which the volume usually at 11-12. 

If Elias is here, I have a few questions though...

1.) About the jumpers to configure XLR attenuation (from 0 to -30dB): in the pictures in the manual, the jumpers have this small metal plate behind the pins inside the jumper itself. These all point downwards in the official pictures, but in my PRE P3 and P4 have the plate inside the jumper pointing upwards. Does this affect anything? I corrected the jumpers to look like in the manual picture while I set it to -30 dB. There´s no mention about it in the manual.

2.) I have a CD transport that sends digital via BNC. I have two cables: BNC-BNC and RCA-RCA, both 75 ohm. I also have to adapters: BNC-RCA and RCA-BNC. Which one should I use? Is there any difference? So two options are:

a.) plug in an RCA-BNB adapter into the RCA #3 digital in of the PRE, and then use a BNC-BNC cable between the two units.

b.) plug in an BNC-RCA adapter into the BNC out of my digital transport, and then use my normal RCA-RCA cable between the two units.

PS: bought a Squeezebox Touch today... I guess I won´t be using my CD transport much anymore... It´s also nice with Spotify premium streaming 320kbs ogg vorbis... 

Jul 8, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #2,991 of 3,058

Quote:
Hi good-vibrations (btw, I love that song!!)

In the scenario you've described above, I can't say for sure where the sample-rate conversion is happening. However, I am certain that it is within the computer, and most likely within Foobar or Kmixer.

Either way, I would recommend not setting it above 96 kHz.

Best,
Elias

Hi Elias

Many thanks for your reply.

What I should have said was 'when I playback 24/192 files it still works'.

I'm trying to find out how the Benchmark Dac1 USB is designed to act when it receives files higher than 24/96.

I've set up a Resampler in Foobar (SoX mod2) to Downsample X2 but ONLY frequencies 176400 and 192000.

It sounds good and could be left in place all the time (as it only Downsamples 176400 and 192000 files) but, just in case it has same detrimental affect on other files, I only activate it when needed.

Is this the best approach for highest SQ when playing files higher than 24/96?

Appreciate you advice.

Thanks.

GV

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2,992 of 3,058
Quote:

1.) About the jumpers to configure XLR attenuation (from 0 to -30dB): in the pictures in the manual, the jumpers have this small metal plate behind the pins inside the jumper itself. These all point downwards in the official pictures, but in my PRE P3 and P4 have the plate inside the jumper pointing upwards. Does this affect anything? I corrected the jumpers to look like in the manual picture while I set it to -30 dB. There´s no mention about it in the manual.

No, the orientation of the jumpers doesn't affect anything.  They work the same either way.  I'm glad you asked this, because it probably deserves a mention in the manual.

2.) I have a CD transport that sends digital via BNC. I have two cables: BNC-BNC and RCA-RCA, both 75 ohm. I also have to adapters: BNC-RCA and RCA-BNC. Which one should I use? Is there any difference? So two options are:

a.) plug in an RCA-BNB adapter into the RCA #3 digital in of the PRE, and then use a BNC-BNC cable between the two units.

b.) plug in an BNC-RCA adapter into the BNC out of my digital transport, and then use my normal RCA-RCA cable between the two units.

Again, either way will produce the same result.  If the DAC1 PRE were susceptible to jitter, I might recommend a specific configuration/brand, etc, but the DAC1 PRE is NOT susceptible to jitter, so all you need to worry about is getting the data into the input and let it work its magic (or, as I prefer to say, let it work its science).

Best,

Elias

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2,993 of 3,058
If you are trying to play sample-rates above 96 kHz while using the USB interface of the DAC1 USB, then your setup seems to be solid.  iTunes is also very good at converting sample-rates, but I don't think you need to change anything.

Best,
Elias

Quote:

Hi Elias

Many thanks for your reply.

What I should have said was 'when I playback 24/192 files it still works'.

I'm trying to find out how the Benchmark Dac1 USB is designed to act when it receives files higher than 24/96.

I've set up a Resampler in Foobar (SoX mod2) to Downsample X2 but ONLY frequencies 176400 and 192000.

It sounds good and could be left in place all the time (as it only Downsamples 176400 and 192000 files) but, just in case it has same detrimental affect on other files, I only activate it when needed.

Is this the best approach for highest SQ when playing files higher than 24/96?

Appreciate you advice.

Thanks.

GV

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2,995 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Is it essential that the DAC1 be earthed? I have been using it for a while with an unearthed socket - everything appears alright.

Thanks,
cansman

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #2,996 of 3,058
Question for Mr. Gwinn:
I was wondering if you could discuss specifically how and why there are audible differences between competently designed DACs. In the Sound Science forum here we often argue whether or not there is a difference between DACs. Quite a few people believe that "digital is digital" and the digital signal from an ipod will be the same as a DAC1 or any other high-end DAC. I've read in a few places that although the digital conversion process may be quite similar, the power supply and analog output stage are two things that make DACs sound different from each other. If this is true, could you give some examples and measurements proving how these things can make an audible difference in the sound of a DAC? Thanks.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #2,998 of 3,058
Elias,

Any updates with the DAC1 and OSX Lion + iTunes 10.4?  I see in Audio MIDI they state "2ch-24bit integer".  Just curious as to why they added that last bit? 

Bill

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #3,000 of 3,058

Quote:
Question for Mr. Gwinn:
I was wondering if you could discuss specifically how and why there are audible differences between competently designed DACs. I've read in a few places that although the digital conversion process may be quite similar, the power supply and analog output stage are two things that make DACs sound different from each other. If this is true, could you give some examples and measurements proving how these things can make an audible difference in the sound of a DAC? Thanks.

I'm sorry I haven't posted an answer on this yet.  As I'm preparing my reply, I'm realizing that to answer requires a complete explanation of electronic design!!  Your questions are what every engineer must learn and conquer to make a great product.

But I will finish and post my reply soon.

Best,
Elias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back