Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jul 29, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #1,786 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matias,
Did you independently test the fuses and the power cable, and find that each of them made the noticeable improvement on its own? Or, did you swap them both at once (which would make it impossible to distinguish which part was responsible for the sonic changes)?

Yes, we tested them independently in that system (Krell 400xi, Dynaudio Focus 220, Arcam transport).
Actually there were 6 variables independently tested:

- 2006 DAC1 vs 2008 DAC1 USB (both on coax SPDIF): USB version is slightly better, softer sounding.

- power cables: more defined low-bass dynamics (kick drum, plucked string bass), deeper soundstage and more natural voices.

- HiFi-Tuning.com's fuses: same as power cables, but a lot cheaper, making it a "must buy".
wink.gif

- HiFi-Tuning.com's Noise Destroyers (2 units): slightly softer and airy cymbals, slightly deeper soundstage, more natural voices. Differences are small, however.

- IC: big differences between those tested. Focus, soundstage, extension on both bass and treble.

- digital coax: none to be heard, or at least extremely small so that we couldn't hear switching them. Note: both were good coax, not a good one vs a cheapo one.

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #1,787 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something thing to keep in mind: the local dealer takes responsible for returns and warranty repairs. If you bought directly from us, it would cost $200 to ship it to us for a warranty repair. Although we enjoy a very low rate of product defects, having a local dealer can be thought of as an insurance plan.

Thanks for taking up this issue, Elias - much appreciated. I should point out that I don't own a DAC1, but it's an option I'm considering. However the Australian pricing leads to one of four choices:

1. Bend over and pay the local prices, swearing all the way.
2. Import one from overseas. This is not hard to achieve, despite the territorial exclusivity that Benchmark would like to enforce. There are reputable services that will help for a small fee, let alone friends in the US...
3. Buy one second hand.
4. Buy something else.

Of these, (3) & (4) presumably lower Benchmark's ongoing sales, and you'll rarely hear about it directly from non-customers. I doubt (1) will occur at current prices as even if (2) DOES require a $200 repair shipment, I would still be several hundred dollars ahead of (1). Local dealers really need to appreciate that calculation as more and more consumers are capable of making it. If dealers lower their prices to the point where the cost of the "insurance" looks more reasonable, they'd have a much better chance of getting business - that they otherwise don't even know they're missing out on.

I should also point out Benchmark's local prices are bad but could be even worse. I recently bought some Denon D5000s which retail in Australia for three times the going price in the US. Guess which option I didn't pursue?

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #1,788 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, we tested them independently in that system (Krell 400xi, Dynaudio Focus 220, Arcam transport).
Actually there were 6 variables independently tested:

- 2006 DAC1 vs 2008 DAC1 USB (both on coax SPDIF): USB version is slightly better, softer sounding.

- power cables: more defined low-bass dynamics (kick drum, plucked string bass), deeper soundstage and more natural voices.

- HiFi-Tuning.com's fuses: same as power cables, but a lot cheaper, making it a "must buy".
wink.gif

- HiFi-Tuning.com's Noise Destroyers (2 units): slightly softer and airy cymbals, slightly deeper soundstage, more natural voices. Differences are small, however.

- IC: big differences between those tested. Focus, soundstage, extension on both bass and treble.

- digital coax: none to be heard, or at least extremely small so that we couldn't hear switching them. Note: both were good coax, not a good one vs a cheapo one.

Very interesting comparison. Thanks.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #1,790 of 3,058
Quote:

Something thing to keep in mind: the local dealer takes responsible for returns and warranty repairs. If you bought directly from us, it would cost $200 to ship it to us for a warranty repair. Although we enjoy a very low rate of product defects, having a local dealer can be thought of as an insurance plan.

Thanks for your reply to this issue Elias. There are fewer companies around that offer the level of service and genuine assistance that Benchmark seem to.

In relation to the warranty issues you have raised, there are differences in Australian laws and trade organisations (like the ACCC) which may make the issue irrelevant. I'm no expert in the area, but through the course of my work have had to investigate at great length the way in which warranty is honoured by manufacturers of products sold in Australia. The ACCC's view (abridged) is that the warranty is an agreement between the manufacturer of a product and the end user. Essentially, regardless of where the product is purchased, the manufacturer has the responsibility of meeting the terms of the products' warranty (it is the manufacturer's product and warranty conditions after all, not the retailer's).

There may be US laws or trade agreements that contraviene the ACCC's views, but considering that the body exists to support consumers, I would be surprised.

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #1,791 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Essentially, regardless of where the product is purchased, the manufacturer has the responsibility of meeting the terms of the products' warranty (it is the manufacturer's product and warranty conditions after all, not the retailer's).

This is still the case. The warranty is always between the end user and Benchmark, and Benchmark always takes responsibility for all warranty issues. My point is that, in the event of a product return or warranty repair/replacement, the end user needs only to drop off the unit at the dealer from which it was bought. The dealer has the capacity to immediately take care of the situation. It makes it easier, quicker, and cheaper for the end user.

Thanks,
Elias

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #1,792 of 3,058
Quote:

Their amplifiers are basically operating in bridged-mode. Nothing new there. In fact, most audio engineers will tell you to avoid bridged-mode unless you're desperate for power, since it will double the output impedance, distortion, noise, etc.

Please explain how balanced output amplifiers are "totally different concepts" from double single-ended amplifiers.

Thanks,
Elias

Elias,

Actually they are not in bridged mode and my point was that if you designed a well made balanced output system that it would preform better than simple putting two single ended amps together with one out of phase of another.

A perfect example of the best differential driver would be a transformer. Truely the only real differential driver capable of true balanced operation.

Thanks
Gordon

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #1,793 of 3,058
Quote:

Hey dspargo,

Simply connect the balanced outputs of the DAC1 to the balanced inputs of the HeadRoom (using balanced cables, of course).

Let me know if you need any more assistance...I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
Elias

Do you recommend I go balanced to balanced or unbalanced to unbalanced?

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #1,794 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by dspargo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you recommend I go balanced to balanced or unbalanced to unbalanced?

Balanced-to-Balanced.

Thanks,
Elias

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #1,796 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Benchmark DAC better than those dacs found in $1000 to $3000 cd players ?

Without putting one of these cd players side-by-side next to the DAC1, I would not be able to answer this.

I will say, we have not seen too many devices whose d-to-a performance matches the DAC1.

Perhaps some of the other head-fiers can share specific experiences they've had with the DAC1 and cd transports...

Thanks,
Elias

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #1,797 of 3,058
It's hard to find a good 5-disc cd player, so I have been thinking about getting a Benchmark DAC1 to give my old cd player a new lease of life. Most $1000 plus cd players are single disc.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #1,798 of 3,058
I would like the Dac-1 Pre to feed two unbalanced input stereo amplifiers without 'Y' adapters. Can the levels of the two outputs be adjusted close to each other once a balanced to unbalanced adapter is used? I hope this question is not stupid
redface.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #1,799 of 3,058
Here's what is inside my Benchmark DAC1 USB.
smily_headphones1.gif

The whole board.
DSC_1330b.jpg

The heart: DAC and opamp.
DSC_1376b.jpg

Outputs:
DSC_1372b.jpg

Power:
DSC_1333b.jpg

Phone amp and atenuator:
DSC_1371b.jpg

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #1,800 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's hard to find a good 5-disc cd player, so I have been thinking about getting a Benchmark DAC1 to give my old cd player a new lease of life. Most $1000 plus cd players are single disc.

You have the right idea. Let me know if you have any questions...

Thanks,
Elias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back