Ben Roethlisberger is an Idiot...
Jun 12, 2006 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
I understand that he feels he doesn't need to wear a helmet...one would think that he has outgrown the teenage "I'm invincible" mindset but you never know. I just heard an interview on Sportscentre with an eyewitness who said that his right eye was "really messed up" and that he had lost many teeth. Why do people feel that they don't need to wear a helmet on a motorcycle? I know that it's not law in Penn...but c'mon, if Terry Bradshaw knows you should wear a helmet, you should know better too...

The full story can be read here at CNNSI...

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 59
Given that he was seriously injured, wouldn't it be more appropriate to initiate a thread that wishes him well?

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Given that he was seriously injured, wouldn't it be more appropriate to initiate a thread that wishes him well?

It seems like he should be fine...I just hope he learns from it. I can change it if you'd like but that's how I feel. I had a family friend killed in a motorcycle accident and I really think people should know better to wear a helmet law or no law. They played his interview on tv where he defended himself not wearing a helmet and it was ridiculous...this is all obviously just my opinion...no offence intended

Actually I'm not sure the title can be changed can it?

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 59
He got banged up quite a bit, but it sounds like he will be OK. Don't know if this will have any effect on his game?

You can bet that clauses will be added to contracts from now on about cycles. If feels great to ride without a helmet, but you are taking a big risk in doing so. A helmet would not have saved him from the wreck, but his face would have fared much better.

(I think you're stuck with the title also, can't edit it.)

Jun 12, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 59
There's already clauses for such things, that's why Jeff Kent hurt himself "washing his truck". And many many players in different sports already have these conditions in their contracts. I'd sort of be suprised if he didn't have one in his (does he?).

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman

No, IMO. He chose to ride a motorcylce, which is something many consider dangerous. Especially considering how many bad drivers are out there. Then add in the fact that he refuses to wear something as simple as a helmet and I don't feel bad at all, just like I wouldn't be upset if people didn't wish me well if I got hurt doing something dumb.

[edit] And I have friends who ride, one of whom was involved in an accident without a helmet. I'm happy to say he ended up being OK, and doesn't ride without a helmet anymore. Too many people ignore the risks, and end up paying the price. I won't lose any sleep over it. [/edit]

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
No, IMO. He chose to ride a motorcylce, which is something many consider dangerous. Especially considering how many bad drivers are out there. Then add in the fact that he refuses to wear something as simple as a helmet and I don't feel bad at all, just like I wouldn't be upset if people didn't wish me well if I got hurt doing something dumb.

Heh, as much as me and you have conflicts, I'de like to say I totally agree with you. The risks of an accident in a motorcycle imho are much higher then in an car. Plus, is it not illegal to ride without a helmet? Either way, I have no sympathy for him, even when you cycle you should wear a helmet, so I don't see why a more dangerous vehicle has any exscuse whatsoever.

PS, anybody visit the wikipedia page for him? I did a couple minutes ago, and some people keep adding random funny stuff to that page (of course the bot deletes it like a minute later), but it's funny for the time being. Either way, I hope this story ends up being a good role model to future people who plan to ride motorcycles without protection.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 59
No in Pennsylvania you don't have to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Plus you can just as easily get hurt doing something else. I think the stereotype of motorcycles being "dangerous" is unwarranted. It's no more dangerous than any other means of transportation. The only thing that makes it and anything dangerous is stupid people that don't know what they are doing.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #9 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Heh, as much as me and you have conflicts, I'de like to say I totally agree with you. The risks of an accident in a motorcycle imho are much higher then in an car. Plus, is it not illegal to ride without a helmet? Either way, I have no sympathy for him, even when you cycle you should wear a helmet, so I don't see why a more dangerous vehicle has any exscuse whatsoever.

PS, anybody visit the wikipedia page for him? I did a couple minutes ago, and some people keep adding random funny stuff to that page (of course the bot deletes it like a minute later), but it's funny for the time being. Either way, I hope this story ends up being a good role model to future people who plan to ride motorcycles without protection.

I must agree too. Motorcycling is probably my main hobby, with wine drinki ... err tasting second and audio only third. Maybe that's why I can't hear the 15 KHz tone!
tongue.gif

Anyway, it is dangerous. I don't understand people that don't wear full protective gear. A helmet, gloves, leather jacket and jeans are the absolute minimum I would consider. Normally it's full leathers or a full cordura suit in place of the leather jacket/jeans combo.

I had a slow (45 mph) fall last December. Unfortunately, I tumbled instead of slid after I hit the ground. I was knocked out for 2 minutes or so after the crash. The full face helmet was hit on all sides and I can only imagine the damage that would have occurred had I not been wearing it. I was also in full leathers so had no road rash. Because I tumbled rather than slide, I had 6 broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung.

I'm pretty well healed now. I just have some shoulder soreness and some soreness in a thumb on one hand and a pinky on the other. Yes, I'm riding again, still in full gear with a brand new helmet.

I hope that Ben recovers with no problems, but he made a very risky sport much more risky.
confused.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
No in Pennsylvania you don't have to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. Plus you can just as easily get hurt doing something else. I think the stereotype of motorcycles being "dangerous" is unwarranted. It's no more dangerous than any other means of transportation. The only thing that makes it and anything dangerous is stupid people that don't know what they are doing.

Of course riding a motorcycle in traffic is inherently more dangerous than riding in car.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

I think the stereotype of motorcycles being "dangerous" is unwarranted. It's no more dangerous than any other means of transportation. The only thing that makes it and anything dangerous is stupid people that don't know what they are doing.

I disagree, only because when you're riding along in a car, minding your own business and someone doesn't see you and ends up hitting you, there's a good chance you'll walk away. If you're riding along on your motorcycle and someone doesn't see you and hits you, you're screwed, even if you've done nothing wrong. Granted there are idiots on bikes everywhere, doing all sorts of stupid stuff, getting themselves hurt or killed, but the thing that always scared me was being on a 400lb bike with no protection beyond clothing and a helmet, being hit by a 4000lb car. Physics don't come out on the bike's side there.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Motorcycles are dangerous, regardless of how many precautions one might take.

Here's hoping that Ben will be able to play football and enjoy life again as he once did.

-Matt

I also hope the windowshield is OK from its collision against Ben.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd...2/Assess01.pdf

I don't care if people choose to ride motorcycles with or without helmets but to say that motorcycles are no more dangerous than any other means of transportation and that it is only a stereotype is just plain wrong. It is more dangerous to ride a motorcycle even if you aren't being stupid. Would I rather be blindsided while in a car or motorcycle? I'll choose a car anyday.

This is not an attack on people riding motorcycles but the fact of the matter is that they are more dangerous then most other forms of transportation. No judgments here, just the numbers. If anyone is interested just look at the data starting on page 29.

BTW, I hope Ben does get better even if he did do something incredibly stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ns6490
I also hope the windowshield is OK from its collision against Ben.

That's just cold blooded.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back