Belkin surge supressor/filter $39.98 Buy.com - nice improvement
Jan 29, 2004 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
STD1_F9G933-10.jpg

I picked up one of the $60 Monster PC-1000's the other day, which I am due to receive Friday, and shopped Buy.com for another protector/filter for my computer rig. I use my computer rig as a transport for audio (CD's and internet audio) to my audio system and DAC. I had a junky surge supressor on it before. I wanted a unit that offered a higher level of noise/EMI/RFI filtration as well but buying another Monster unit was stretching my budget. I ran across this Belkin unit which offers a good joule rating at 2950 joules and a pretty darn good 75dB of noise reduction. I just got tonight and put it into my computer system (looping my cable modem through the coaxial in and out, plugging in my modem and CPU) and fired up the audio. Wow, nice improvement!! CD's and internet audio lost some edge and glare and low level resolution improved as well. One very noticeable improvement was in bass, I noticed more punch and tightness, and a tad more depth. Very nice for the price. Also, I noticed my monitor looked better too, sharper colors and better clarity. Anyway, thought I'd pass this along if you are looking for a way to protect your computer/audio/video gear and want to enhance performance I find this Belkin unit is pretty darn good. Looks like retail is usually about $70 and at $40 I thought it was a pretty good deal. Anyway, YMMV of course.

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 31
double post.

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 31
I agree that this surge protector is a good find. I use one on my computer setup with good results as well. Since I was so satisfied with it and did not wish to spend all that much money on a Monster unit for my audio system at the time, I picked up the Isolator:

STD1_F5C980-TEL.jpg

ISOLATOR

I did not compare it to other powerstrips in my rig, but it seems to be pretty quiet. No significant noise that I have noticed in my everyday listening, but I would still like to compare it to a higher end Monster unit just to see if there is a noticable difference.

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 31
Sean, looking forward to your impressions on belkin vs monster. Will you keep us posted?
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 31
Sean. What I'm really wondering is whether it sounds a lot better simply plugged into the wall. Unless you have really dirty power my guess would be a yes. But let us know. <--- try it!!!
redface.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
Sean, looking forward to your impressions on belkin vs monster. Will you keep us posted?
biggrin.gif

Oh no, I wasn't planning on it.
frown.gif
But I guess I could try a little comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Howie
Sean. What I'm really wondering is whether it sounds a lot better simply plugged into the wall. Unless you have really dirty power my guess would be a yes. But let us know. <--- try it!!!

I've owned a Monster HTS-2000 for about five years and have done several A/B comparisons between it and straight to the wall over the years with various gear and have always liked what the Monster does for the sound - always improves it. This Belkin unit is on my computer rig and that definitely needs a surge protector on it anyhow.

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 31
For what it is worth.

I own both a Monster 5100 system ($600 or so) and the Belkin Isolator ($80 or so). The main purpose of the Monster was for audio, and the Belkin for my computer. However, it is my considered opinion that the Monster limits dynamics, even in a headphone system, while the Belkin just does its job of protecting the equipment without interfering with the sound.

For example, I used the Monster for a Blockhead based system. It just didn't sound right. For months I wondered why. I'd set the system up, listen for a while, then tear it down again when it just didn't sound right. A while later I moved the Blockhead to a different part of my listening room and plugged it into the nearby Belkin. Suddenly it sounded much better. What was the difference? As near as I could tell the Monster was restricting dynamics, causing even very well recorded CDs to sound veiled.

Just my two cents. Your milage may vary. In my system, to my ears. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 31
That's very interesting. I should try it out too. I always felt that since those surge bar touts their protection capabilities so much it would seriously impede dynamics.

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 31
I just unplugged my headphone amp and power amp from my PB1000 and got more bass. I'd say it was limited in some way. Can't say for sure as I've just separated my digital and analog section.

I'm thinking of getting that monster PC1000. If it doesn't work well, I can always move it to my TV or projector systems.

Jan 29, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
I agree that this surge protector is a good find. I use one on my computer setup with good results as well. Since I was so satisfied with it and did not wish to spend all that much money on a Monster unit for my audio system at the time, I picked up the Isolator:

STD1_F5C980-TEL.jpg

ISOLATOR

I did not compare it to other powerstrips in my rig, but it seems to be pretty quiet. No significant noise that I have noticed in my everyday listening, but I would still like to compare it to a higher end Monster unit just to see if there is a noticable difference.

Hey, Sean, that's the Belkin Isolator I was talking about. It's big hunk of metal with plastic end caps. Beefy and Heavy.

I hated the TrippLite Isobar, because of the coil buzzing. the Belkin Isolator wins on all fronts. No coil buzz, better noise isolation, and higher surge supression rating.

But of course, the Brickwall beats them all. But it should since it costs more than three times as much.

I couldn't stand the slightly limited dynamics and soundstage, so I ended up going for the overkill and got a P300 in the end.

Still, I think those slight problems are out weighed by how well it filters noise.

The Brickwall is one helluva dense surge suppressor.
-Ed

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Hey, Sean, that's the Belkin Isolator I was talking about. It's big hunk of metal with plastic end caps. Beefy and Heavy.
-Ed

Yep, I knew which one you were talking about but I wanted to thank you anyway for all the PM's I sent you. That one lacked the coaxial cable jacks and was a bit out of my price range.

STD1_F9G1033-12.jpg

Actually the one in this pic looks like a damn good one, which is also all metal and boasts a whopping 4720 joule rating. Probably a pretty sweet one. Lists for $120 but going for only $65 at Buy.com with Free Shipping.

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 31
Kind of OT, is anybody interested in buying one of those Belkin PureAV Isolators from Buy.com and shipping it to Vancouver, BC, Canada? I'd be interested in comparing it to my Monster HTS-2000. I, too, need another surge supressor for my computer system.

Jan 30, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 31
Thanks for the mini-review. I might consider one of these. I have a question: how do you route the cable modem through it, because the cable has the screw-on jack? Is it really necessary (I'm not too concerned about frying my modem as opposed to my PC)?

Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
STD1_F9G933-10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back