Beginning Audiophile
Oct 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DocVS

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I need advice on what setup to buy.
I would like to purchase new over-ear headphones, a lossless audio source, a DAC or whatever else you suggest to get the most out of my headphones.
I have a budget of about $1200

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 13
Starting out with high end equipment seems EXTREMELY fun but are you sure you want to do that?
I personally like the idea of starting out with lower end headphones and working your way up (and learning your tastes along the way).
Its definitely harder to appreciate higher end audio equipment if you're new to this.
Either way, we'll burn your wallet eventually (this is head-fi's classic greeting )
Welcome to head fi

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 13
If you don't know what type of sound you're looking for then I really suggest you start out with some low-mid gear first.

Slowly starting out then upgrading later does cost you more money in the long run, but buying a $1000 headphone and then deciding you don't really like it(especially customs) will hurt your wallet too

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks!
I do have limited experience. I have a tuned ear from a lot piano and viola experience. I have also lived next an audiophile with a $6000 in home system, and I spent a lot of us me in there.
I am totally open to you guys suggestions, so take from that whatever you want.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 13
You can start by telling us things like what you liked/disliked about the DN1000

Is this for home or portable use? Are you looking for an open or closed headphone?

Never heard the DN1000 so I can't make suggestions, but others here might be able to.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 13
okay. Sorry if my terminology isnt up to snuff!

So the Dn1000's are dynamic driver iems. I didn't like that sometimes in classical peices it would get kind of fuzzy. They also had some extra bass, which I liked. Umm... The bass wasnt as tight as or responsive as I would of liked. I like a generally flat response, a little extra bass I'd appreciated though.

As far as open vs closed, I don't really know how they compare. I would use them largely as portables.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 13
I am also a begginer and am starting with a fiio x1 (DAP) akg k240 mkii's (headphones) SoundMagic e10's (IEMs) fiio e11k (portable amp).

Though I dont have any musical experience nor that healthy of a starting budget at the moment Ive come to accept, after much lurking, that my wallet will be burnt indeed.

Cheers!

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #10 of 13
I really don't have much experience with higher end headphones so the only thing i can give you is general reccomendations:
Shure srh1540
Nad viso hp50
Audiotechnica ath w1000 (you might not like the basslight sound signature)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/cool-comfy-and-competent-shure-srh1540
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 13
It depends on your listening taste,

Classical: Sennheiser HD800 (dominate the field)
Beyerdynamic T1

Pop : Audeze LCD-2
Beyerdynamic DT990

And I don't have any experience in amping so I can't help you on that

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Any reason you want closed?
The Fostex TH-600's are nice closed cans at the price point of ~$650, leaving room for a nice amp and DAC.  I highly suggest going with open though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOSTEX-TH-600-Premium-Reference-Headphone-AUTHORIZED-DEALER-/121455781397?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c47542615

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 13
For a closed can, TH-600's, the new Sony Z7's, Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs, and ZMF Vibro's would all be good options. The TH-600 is slightly V-shaped (a little extra bass and treble for and engaging sound), the Z7 is getting good reviews, the Alpha Dogs are probably closest to the sound signature you want, and Vibro's kinda fit in with the same general sound & value. I've only heard the TH-600's, fyi.

If you can go open, that really opens up options. You could maybe even swing some used LCD-2's, T1's, new AKG K712's, HE-500's or HE-400i's or HE-560's and put the rest in an DAC/amp.

I'd recommend putting as much money into your headphones as possible, and for your DAC/amp, just get a DAC with a clean sound that has all the inputs you need, and an amp with enough power. I'd recommend the O2/ODAC combo as being great for any of the options listed (it's hard to beat until you spend a lot of money), though something with a little more power couldn't hurt. The Schiit Modi/Magni could do that for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back