Beginner Help!!
Dec 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

UnLimited99

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I finally decided to make an account on here after lurking this site for a few months and I recently finished my gaming rig earlier this year. I feel like I'm missing one thing...sound!! it's lacking...I've been using cheap $20 skull candy headphones forever and and that just isn't going to cut it anymore I mean the visuals are there with the PC just the sound is lacking...

Right now I'm using ATH-WS55BK and they are great for the price I got (paid $75 from a friend brand new who didn't want them) with onboard audio and they are ok but I need something more powerful! I'm not an audiofile I just like awesome sound to go with amazing PC visuals so I was wondering if some of you guys could help me out and suggest some sound cards/headphones for a beginner, novice, noob whatever you want to call it.

Right now I had my eye on the ATH-M50 but I'm stuck on what kind of sound card I should get to go along with it?? I'm mainly going to use it for gaming, and music. I like to listen to a lot of different music but mainly hip-hop/rap, electronic, dubstep, dance etc etc.

As far as my budget goes I mean..the sky is the limit but I don't think $1500 headphones is appropriate for a beginner such as myself .

So please any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated and in the meantime I'll be doing my research because I read posts all the time about some of the stuff you guys talk about and it looks like jibberish to me lol.

Thanks

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Well amp and DAC get the JDS Labs O2+ODAC and headphones try the Soundmagic HP100.

Great beginner setup will allows upgrades along the line

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks but I was looking more for a PCI-e sound card but that JDS will be a consideration!

No. If you can afford a good dac/amp combo, get it and never look back. I have the asus essence STX sound card and I would kill to get my hands on a high end dac/ tube amp. It produces a much cleaner sound than what basic PCI cards can offer.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Hello all! I finally decided to make an account on here after lurking this site for a few months and I recently finished my gaming rig earlier this year. I feel like I'm missing one thing...sound!! it's lacking...I've been using cheap $20 skull candy headphones forever and and that just isn't going to cut it anymore I mean the visuals are there with the PC just the sound is lacking...

Right now I'm using ATH-WS55BK and they are great for the price I got (paid $75 from a friend brand new who didn't want them) with onboard audio and they are ok but I need something more powerful! I'm not an audiofile I just like awesome sound to go with amazing PC visuals so I was wondering if some of you guys could help me out and suggest some sound cards/headphones for a beginner, novice, noob whatever you want to call it.

Right now I had my eye on the ATH-M50 but I'm stuck on what kind of sound card I should get to go along with it?? I'm mainly going to use it for gaming, and music. I like to listen to a lot of different music but mainly hip-hop/rap, electronic, dubstep, dance etc etc.

As far as my budget goes I mean..the sky is the limit but I don't think $1500 headphones is appropriate for a beginner such as myself .

So please any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated and in the meantime I'll be doing my research because I read posts all the time about some of the stuff you guys talk about and it looks like jibberish to me lol.

Thanks

For the music styles you list there, the WS55 is just fine. That O2 DAC and amp combo mentioned will be good enough to cover you for quite a while as you grow in the hobby (as you most likely will).

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Alright so that JDS DAC is the best you can get without breaking the bank?

Look, you do a lot of gaming, so dismiss the external DAC recommendations, that have zero gaming audio support. Look into the Auzentech X-Fi Forte or the flagship Creative X-Fi Titanium HD.

For headphones, look into the Ultrasone HFI-580, a very nice set for immersive gaming and some competitive gaming, as well as excellent for EDM and bass emphasized genres.

EDIT: You have to spend more than twice what the Titanium HD costs in order to get anything remotely similar, sound quality wise, not to mention how you lose all features internal soundcards provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back