been in denial about being a basshead, please help me embrace it
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mikaveli06

1000+ Head-Fier
I always hear basshead and think its a negative term. well after buying ety hf5's, i really miss the bass. 9not that these are bad iem's, just not for me. So after more research, im comin down to atrio's or sm3's. i dont mind spending a lil extra for sm3's if they are worth it. actually considering buying the sm3's and then a used pair of atrio's for backup or whatever.
next question, what player to pair them with. i have samsung epic 4g (wolfson chip) rooted with voodoo sound controls and have rockbox and poweramp and am getting good sound now. also have a clip+ rockboxed. i was considering s:flo2, hifimann 601 or 602. or might i be happier with a cowon with some of the bass effects etc, like the j3 or other version. considered sony, but i have a lot of flac files.

ps...main music is rap, r+b, and looking for something with good sound quality with good bass also. not looking for just bass like beats etc etc, looking at 5-800 tops for both iems, and player.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 22
Jan 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 22
"Basshead" does not necessary mean it's a bad thing. Many like quality bass which is a good thing. The Etymotic HF5 are IEMs that won't satisfy anyone who desires bass. You can try the IE80s or Monster Turbine Pro Golds, both which does bass really well.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 22
As mentioned above, purchasing a Zo 2 may very well be worth it. 

Otherwise, FX700 has my vote. The MG7 is supposed to have one of the deepest sub bass so that may be another option. You should also look into the IE80.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 22
If you can stand 192k or 320k, I'd highly recommend a second look at the Sony line. Awesome bass. I have them paired with JH-16s and the bass is amazing. I cannot discern the difference between 320k and FLAC, but that's just me.

If you are looking for bass, I would discourage you from the HM-602. Mine totally lacked bass, though the details were very nice.

How about a Sony + JH-5 combo? 

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
I know a guy who had HF5s and wanted more bass. He got the TF10 and was happy with it.

I'm a guy that owned ER4P and decided to try the Triple.fi 10 on sale and was extremely disappointed with the fit and lack of excitement I felt while listening to them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
If you can stand 192k or 320k, I'd highly recommend a second look at the Sony line. Awesome bass. I have them paired with JH-16s and the bass is amazing. I cannot discern the difference between 320k and FLAC, but that's just me.

If you are looking for bass, I would discourage you from the HM-602. Mine totally lacked bass, though the details were very nice.

How about a Sony + JH-5 combo? 

That makes you and 7 billion other people.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 22
im marrowing down choices. heavily considering jvc fx700, senn. ie80, and not sure besides that....will prolly pick up the atrio's also for backup use. so many choices, not sure what to do yet. i got bout 10 days left before i place order, and as far as player, i may stick with my epic 4g w/ the wolfson chip, and maybe consider a player after i get phones. thanx for everyones help, and please chip in with any other ideas.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 22
There is nothing wrong with preferring one signature over another.  Maybe bass-heavy is your signature.  That's perfectly fine.  You can also try a V-shaped signature as well (like the TF10, M4, Trident, etc). 

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #14 of 22
ok, after really considering my needs/wants, im lookin at sm3v2 or westone 3.  Do either of these need amped?  Do they respond well to eq's.?  Westone seems to have better build quality, appx $100 cheaper, and described as "fun", which may be what im looking for.  sm3v2 is highly rated, said to have deeper/tighter bass, Prolly wont order till next week, so i have time to decide.  As far as the player, i may stick with my phone, as im getting good sound now, may buy a better battery for it tho.  Will look at the new Sony z series in the future, really like android, as i use an app to record my workouts while listening to music at same time.  With either of my 2 choices, would i be better off looking for a cable upgrade?

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
ok, after really considering my needs/wants, im lookin at sm3v2 or westone 3.  Do either of these need amped?  Do they respond well to eq's.?  Westone seems to have better build quality, appx $100 cheaper, and described as "fun", which may be what im looking for.  sm3v2 is highly rated, said to have deeper/tighter bass, Prolly wont order till next week, so i have time to decide.  As far as the player, i may stick with my phone, as im getting good sound now, may buy a better battery for it tho.  Will look at the new Sony z series in the future, really like android, as i use an app to record my workouts while listening to music at same time.  With either of my 2 choices, would i be better off looking for a cable upgrade?

For the 2, I would think that Westone 3 has more bass and more extended highs. None of them needs to be amped, but some Westone 3s have a free Fiio E5 amp. The Z series sure looks like a good choice, but it's pricey :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back