Beater IEMs [I break all my schiit]
Apr 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

compoopers

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So over the years I've had many IEMs ranging from stock Samsung to $200 ones and the one thing they have in common is they always break. I treat my IEMs rough in my pocket because I need them on the go.

So I was wondering what IEMs are the best value for the price, hopefully under 50 dollars, that sound great. I just don't feel like spenidng a lot anymore on something that will definitely break, but funnily enough I know the least about cheap IEMs.

Let me know what the best IEM offerings under $50 are!

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 10
I have a pair of Klipsch Image S4 earbuds that I bought in 2012 that're still working. They're decently comfortable and sound okay. For the $50 range they're probably in the running for the best you can get, I'm unsure if they've put out a newer model since then I assume they probably have.

I find I don't use them as much anymore as I just generally don't care for IEMs / earbuds. They always get clogged with earwax for me. I just usually use headphones with my mobile setup.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 10
I recently got a Xiaomi Piston 2, great sound, mic and remote. And you won't be that sorry if they break for $16 haha. Piston 3's were released not long ago, you should check those out too.

Although I never used expensive IEMs, many people say these have the sound quality of much much more expensive ones out there. All I can say is that they definitely sound good.

I wouldn't call them the sturdiest, they are ok on that front. But I think all IEMs break, so I just stopped caring...

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 10
I recently got a Xiaomi Piston 2, great sound, mic and remote. And you won't be that sorry if they break for $16 haha. Piston 3's were released not long ago, you should check those out too.

Although I never used expensive IEMs, many people say these have the sound quality of much much more expensive ones out there. All I can say is that they definitely sound good.

I wouldn't call them the sturdiest, they are ok on that front. But I think all IEMs break, so I just stopped caring...

Yeah, that's my take too.

Right now I'm using RE-400 Hifimans which are nice but these are the warranty pair I got after the first ones broke and literally 2 months into using them the channel is starting to cut out if I move too much. So annoying. I'm looking at the pistons right now, thanks. I wonder how the sound compares.

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 10
My advice is:

- Do not wad the IEMs up and stuff them into your pocket or a backpack. When you aren't using them, put them in a case or a small container like an Altoids box.
- Never pull the IEMs by the cable to take them out of your ears or when untangling them. Always handle them by the housing.
- Do not kink or pinch the cable, especially not near the connections where the wire enters the ear housing or at the cable jack.
- Do not wear only one side while letting the other housing dangle and be bashed around as you walk. Either wear them, or don't wear them - don't go half-way.

Even when you do all these things, an IEM that is used nearly every day might last you only a couple of years. It's the nature of the beasts... :etysmile:

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Check out the Meelec M6 Pro. 

They sound nice and are $50. Come with detacheable cables as well, so you will be able to just change the cable instead of having to buy a new IEM. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 10
My advice is:

- Do not wad the IEMs up and stuff them into your pocket or a backpack. When you aren't using them, put them in a case or a small container like an Altoids box.
- Never pull the IEMs by the cable to take them out of your ears or when untangling them. Always handle them by the housing.
- Do not kink or pinch the cable, especially not near the connections where the wire enters the ear housing or at the cable jack.
- Do not wear only one side while letting the other housing dangle and be bashed around as you walk. Either wear them, or don't wear them - don't go half-way.

Even when you do all these things, an IEM that is used nearly every day might last you only a couple of years. It's the nature of the beasts...
etysmile.gif

I think the worst part (at least for me) is keeping the phone/DAP in your pocket while listening. The plug will be right at the top of your thighs, so if you sit down, you will press against it with your belly. This is avoidable by keeping the phone somewhere else, but in the summer, when I'm not wearing a coat, I have no choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back