Beaten to death: 280 vs. V6?
Feb 27, 2003 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Xplo

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, I'm looking for some new headphones. They need to be...

- under $100
- closed
- neutral. I may use them as monitors, and even when I don't, I would rather hear the music as it is.
- comfortable. Particularly, my right ear REALLY starts to hurt after it's been bent backward against my head for about an hour. I've taken to cramming tissue or something behind my ear to keep it pushed outward. Earplugs are not an option for me.
- easy to drive without an amp

I would probably mostly be using them with my Mac, and I listen to pretty much everything except country music.

They don't need to be...

- portable (although all else being equal, it wouldn't hurt)
- attractive

After doing some research, it seems like the V6 and the 280 best fit my needs.

My mom has an old V6, so I'm familiar with its sound. It beats the hell out of the $8 Walmart crap, but while I like the amount of detail it reveals, I'm not so happy about the highs, which seem a bit oversharpened (if you've ever used an image editor with a sharpening filter and sharpened an image until the small details appear sort of harsh and gritty, it's like that, only with sound). I'm guessing this is what people mean when they say the V6 is analytical and has harsh treble?

Anyway, so finally I get to the point, which is this: can anyone offer opinions on the V6 and 280, given a setup like mine? Are there any other cans that meet all my requirements that might be better than these two?

Also, I hear that the 280s clamp quite a bit, which might be bad for my trick ear.. but judging from pictures, the pads on those things are huge. Is it possible that my ears might actually fit inside them, thereby being squished less than with the V6? Alternately, would the swiveling earcups maybe reduce the pressure on the upper back part of my ear?

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 33
Your ears will fit inside the HD280, so that's no problem. However, at least at first, they do clamp quite a bit. With extended use they get better, but it is a real problem for some people.

As far as the sound goes, I can't rightly comment. I own them, but the last time I listened to them I thought they sounded like crap. I've been spoiled by my W1000.
redface.gif

If you like the bass of the V6, then I'm guessing the HD280 will be a disappointment. However, the HD280's highs probably don't pierce like those of the V6.

Here is a good review:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=21917

If I were you, I would save up for the Ultrasone HFI-650.

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 33
The 280s suck, based on what I heard.

The V6's are better, and they're not even that incredible. Not a bad deal if you can find a pair for $60 though.

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

No, the 280s do not suck. They suck compared to a lot of headphones over $100. Under $100, your best choices are the V6 and the HD280, neither of which sucks. Neither can really be said to be better than the other either because they both have attributes that some may prefer. However, since a lot of people are hung up on having a lot of bass, the V6 is frequently preferred.

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
However, since a lot of people are hung up on having a lot of bass, the V6 is frequently preferred.

The v6 has more bass but I don't think it's 'flat' bass. Or necessarily that deep. True, it has more bass than the hd280, but IMO, it definately not as accurate overall. The hd280 would be a better choice for mixing. Of the two, I'd get the hd280. But if you could find a pair, I'd get the JVC HA990.

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 33
The 280s need to be broken in for an extended period of time, both physically and acoustically. For me the clamping feeling was quite uncomfortable at the beginning but after several weeks I didn't even notice it any more. Also, since the 280s are fully circumaural, there should be less pressure on your trick ear than would be the case with the v6.

My guess is that you'd be happier with the 280pro in the long run if the v6 highs bother you. The 280s are considerably less harsh in that area. The v6's lows are better. The 280's bass is somewhat recessed and has some weird lumps which can lead it so sound lacking on some recordings and overly prominent on a few occasions. But it goes quite deep and is generally tight. I don't know if there are alot of people who are in love with the sound of the 280 -- there's something a bit distant and hollow about it -- but overall it is quite neutral, smooth and clear, and doesn't favor any particular type of music. (In contrast, I find the v6 impossible to use for classical because the treble shrillness tends to make strings sound harsh and lacking in body.) I don't put the 280s on and go "wow, that sounds great," but I've found it quite acceptable for extended listening for lots of different types of music. I'd say that the character of the 280s is more sensible and responsible than exciting and fun, but in a lot of ways that is a strength.

However, if you go with the 280s you MUST break them in for at least 75 hours before you judge them. They really sound pretty crappy right out of the box.

If you can afford a bit more, the Ultrasone 650s are similar in design to the 280s and sound quite a bit better.

Feb 27, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 33
Have you thought about Eggos? I personally haven't heard them, but the pictures look like they're light and comfortable. And your ears should fit inside - no?

As far as being neutral... Again, I haven't listened to them, but people have commented on the sound compared to the V6. Probably not as analytical as the V6 and more musical. Don't know how that'll work as monitor usage.

There are several people who have both - care to comment?

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
The v6 has more bass but I don't think it's 'flat' bass. Or necessarily that deep. True, it has more bass than the hd280, but IMO, it definately not as accurate overall. The hd280 would be a better choice for mixing. Of the two, I'd get the hd280. But if you could find a pair, I'd get the JVC HA990.

The V6's bass is among the deepest I have ever heard from a headphone. Flat? I don't know for sure, but it's "fatter" than that of the Stax Lamda's (normal).

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler

The V6's are better, and they're not even that incredible. Not a bad deal if you can find a pair for $60 though.

Based on what you have heard by listening to them or simply reading online, there is a WORLD of differnece.

Scott

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg

The V6's bass is among the deepest I have ever heard from a headphone. Flat? I don't know for sure, but it's "fatter" than that of the Stax Lamda's (normal).

Feb 27, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 33
i did a review of these two in this thread (with pretty pictures!):

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...mdrv6+vs+hd280

the hd-280 will definitely fit all the way around your ear, unless you have super-mega-giant-happy-colossal ears. if you are too lazy to read my thread, then to answer your questions -- yes, the hd280 smooths the shrill highs that the v6 sometimes gives, and as to the bass question -- with some recordings there is almost too much, and with some it seems a bit shy. and of course, with some it is just right. it can clamp a bit at first, but after some break in and usage the comfort factor increases by quite a bit.

as an aside, the mdr-v6 with the beyer pads are really comfortable. they fit around my own set of super-mega-fiant-happy-colossal ears, so i think they will fit around most anyone else's.

as for the hfi-650 (which is out of your price range anyways), i found it to be somewhere between the presentation styles of the hd280 and the v6, but leaning more towards the hd280 in overall presentation.

Feb 27, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 33
frankly i don't like either, but the at least the 280 makes me want to sleep, the v6 makes me want to kill myself. i guess they are the best choices for sub $100 closed cans though. it's a matter of taste, i suppose.

Feb 27, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 33
The 650 sounds tempting.. my wallet is already groaning, though.

(Feel free to offer the standard apology.
biggrin.gif
)

Would the 650 really be worth the extra money (almost twice as much! guh) given the fact that I'm not going to be using it with an amp? Or would I be better off getting the 280 for now, and holding off on a 650 until I can better afford to drop a few hundred bucks on audio equipment (probably several months from now)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back