Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #1,501 of 5,854
Quote:
How big of a step-up would you say headphones such as the Orpheus, SR-009, and the R10 are compared to mid-tier headphones such as the DT 880/990, K701/702/Q701, and HD600/650?

It's so hard to say, but I'm going to attempt to describe how I see it.

For casual, every day listening, there is a difference, but its not so extreme.  I don't want to get into percentages though because I think it doesn't reflect the subjectiveness so accurately.

I honestly believe, if I never ended up in the hobby, the HD600, DT880, would have been more than enough to allow me to feel like I was having the ultimate audio experience.

In critical listening, where I'm glued to the listening experience as if I was going to a concert and giving it my undivided attention, the top tier headphones on my list manage to be much more expressive and life-like.  In this instance, they are on two different plains and I have no hesitation in saying that the Orpheus, R10, SR009, HD800, HE-6, LCD-3 is able to do express feelings and nuances in sound (and through that, music) which the mid-tier headphones are not capable. 

So, I would say for someone who spends a lot of time listening to music with keen, attentive ears to the audio quality, and for someone who experiences great joy in being as close to realistic sound as possible, the difference is significant.  For someone who enjoys music no matter what the audio quality (save for really bad headphones), then the HD600 or DT880 or K701 could be seen as a very respectable mountain top and save a lot of money (and most importantly.... ONE MAY NOT ENJOY THE MUSIC ANY LESS :)  It also greatly depends on what you are willing to spend.

Not everyone allows audio quality to affect their music experience (or is sensitive to audio quality).  Let's all take a moment of silence to hatefully envy those people (and their wallets) :D

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #1,502 of 5,854
Quote:
It's so hard to say, but I'm going to attempt to describe how I see it.

For casual, every day listening, there is a difference, but its not so extreme.  I don't want to get into percentages though because I think it doesn't reflect the subjectiveness so accurately.

I honestly believe, if I never ended up in the hobby, the HD600, DT880, would have been more than enough to allow me to feel like I was having the ultimate audio experience.

In critical listening, where I'm glued to the listening experience as if I was going to a concert and giving it my undivided attention, the top tier headphones on my list manage to be much more expressive and life-like.  In this instance, they are on two different plains and I have no hesitation in saying that the Orpheus, R10, SR009, HD800, HE-6, LCD-3 is able to do express feelings and nuances in sound (and through that, music) which the mid-tier headphones are not capable. 

So, I would say for someone who spends a lot of time listening to music with keen, attentive ears to the audio quality, and for someone who experiences great joy in being as close to realistic sound as possible, the difference is significant.  For someone who enjoys music no matter what the audio quality (save for really bad headphones), then the HD600 or DT880 or K701 could be seen as a very respectable mountain top and save a lot of money (and most importantly.... ONE MAY NOT ENJOY THE MUSIC ANY LESS :)  It also greatly depends on what you are willing to spend.

Not everyone allows audio quality to affect their music experience (or is sensitive to audio quality).  Let's all take a moment of silence to hatefully envy those people (and their wallets) :D

Thanks, that helps a lot. So basically the top tiers are a lot more realistic and bring out the soul music. So it's no day and night difference like going from mediocre headphones to the mid-tier headphones? I'm just a little worried because I will have the chance to listen to many of the top-tiers here soon. After getting my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, I'm quite satisfied with the music and I don't find my music and audio experience lacking. Speaking of the DT 990, what full-size open headphone in roughly the same price range do you think would compliment them very well? I was thinking of getting two good headphones of roughly equal quality but different signatures that I could just switch around depending on my mood. I think I would be completely satisfied audio-wise for a very long time with two good headphones like that and finally stop spending so much money on this hobby until I can actually afford to get much better gear.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,503 of 5,854
Quote:
Thanks, that helps a lot. So basically the top tiers are a lot more realistic and bring out the soul music. So it's no day and night difference like going from mediocre headphones to the mid-tier headphones? I'm just a little worried because I will have the chance to listen to many of the top-tiers here soon. After getting my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, I'm quite satisfied with the music and I don't find my music and audio experience lacking. Speaking of the DT 990, what full-size open headphone in roughly the same price range do you think would compliment them very well? I was thinking of getting two good headphones of roughly equal quality but different signatures that I could just switch around depending on my mood. I think I would be completely satisfied audio-wise for a very long time with two good headphones like that and finally stop spending so much money on this hobby until I can actually afford to get much better gear.

I think the HD600 or the HE400 would be a good compliment. I don't think you'll walk away from hearing the high end stuff thinking "darn, im far away from the best"... though you may:frowning2:

But ideally, and more realistically, it may provide with the satisfaction that you're not too far away depending how you look at "the glass."  The DT990 is much further away from apple buds, than it is from the Orpheus.

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,505 of 5,854
You want to make sure that you have amp and source to do justice to your phones ...

+1 totally agree..if u have top dog headphone and use a 100 usd amp with 0,00001 watt rms the phone wont sound as his best..but thats my opinion :D

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,506 of 5,854
Quote:
I think the HD600 or the HE400 would be a good compliment. I don't think you'll walk away from hearing the high end stuff thinking "darn, im far away from the best"... though you may:frowning2:

But ideally, and more realistically, it may provide with the satisfaction that you're not too far away depending how you look at "the glass."  The DT990 is much further away from apple buds, than it is from the Orpheus.

That's what I thought, only problem is that both the HD 600 and HE400 cost twice as much new as the DT 990 Pro, which can easily be found at $170-190 new. From what I listened to of the HD 600 I thought they would go very well with them as complimentary can, more so than the Q701, but I think $400 is too much for them when compared to the DT 990 or Q701 as I didn't really consider them any better. I will probably have to go and look for a used HD 600 or maybe opt for a Q701 at $240. Yeah, I hope it doesn't get me to want them as soon as possible.

That is true, I am looking forward to listening to headphones like that though. Just to see what the best sounds like and to see if it is worth it for me or not.

Quote:
You want to make sure that you have amp and source to do justice to your phones ...

I find the amp I have is enough for the DT 990 Pros. I just need different tubes as they are too bright. All the other headphones I've been trying are on set-ups much better than mine.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,507 of 5,854
Quote:
That's what I thought, only problem is that both the HD 600 and HE400 cost twice as much new as the DT 990 Pro, which can easily be found at $170-190 new. From what I listened to of the HD 600 I thought they would go very well with them as complimentary can, more so than the Q701, but I think $400 is too much for them when compared to the DT 990 or Q701 as I didn't really consider them any better. I will probably have to go and look for a used HD 600 or maybe opt for a Q701 at $240. Yeah, I hope it doesn't get me to want them as soon as possible.

That is true, I am looking forward to listening to headphones like that though. Just to see what the best sounds like and to see if it is worth it for me or not.

I find the amp I have is enough for the DT 990 Pros. I just need different tubes as they are too bright. All the other headphones I've been trying are on set-ups much better than mine.

It might be worth it to get HE400 just to experience the planar magnetic sound, which is extremely different compared to dynamic. Some really dig the weight and density of planar sound, some don't, so it has a chance of being a huge upgrade for you despite perhaps only moderate technical improvement.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,508 of 5,854
Quote:
It might be worth it to get HE400 just to experience the planar magnetic sound, which is extremely different compared to dynamic. Some really dig the weight and density of planar sound, some don't, so it has a chance of being a huge upgrade for you despite perhaps only moderate technical improvement.

Yeah, that is true. I preferred the DT 990 to the HD 600 anyways. Something extremely different may fit the bill perfectly as an alternate.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #1,510 of 5,854
Quote:
David, your list is not complete until you review the Sennheiser HD201. You must compare it to the Orpheus. Please heed the alignment of the Jovian moons and ensure there are no cats within a 5km radius. This will translate to near optimal performance from the HD201. If you can time your listening sessions to coincide with solar flares of a certain magnitude and the birth of Tibetan triplets you will hear the HD201 at its absolute best. Also, with your preference for piercing treble, make sure you have lots of ice on hand. Strategic placement of said ice in specific zones south of the navel will blow your mind, especially when wearing red underwear.

I just have to acknowledge this as one of the funniest posts ever, and so accurate of some of the absurdity that's sometimes posted here. Keep popping balloons, olor1n!
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,511 of 5,854
Quote:
Get a used HE500 ... so much better than all the mid-tier phones ...

I've been eyeballing these but am nervous that coming from the LCD-3 it will be too unpleasant. Guess I need to get to a meet and cancel the guess work.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,512 of 5,854
Quote:
I've been eyeballing these but am nervous that coming from the LCD-3 it will be too unpleasant. Guess I need to get to a meet and cancel the guess work.

They are very different.  I say stop eyeballing and start earballing!! :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #1,515 of 5,854
Quote:
LCD3 to HE-500? Isn't that rowing backwards?

Perhaps LCD-3 to HE-6 would be more appropriae, no?
If you have the power to drive em, that is 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back