Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Nov 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #1,456 of 5,854
Quote:
Great Review over so many great phones!

I just purchased some BeyerDynamic DT 880 (250 ohms So I can do portable and desktop) from Amazon for $240 and can't wait, these will be my first Over Ear phones as all I have had is some Sony MDR-EX85 In Ear.

Does anyone have a recommended  amp that can be portable and can be used on a desktop also, looking for $130 or less.

Thanks! & Congratulations!! 

At that price, I'm right not sure.  

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,457 of 5,854
Quote:
Max Pl beat me to it:)

Yep, listening with the HE400 right now VELOUR pads!!! :)

FINALLY!!!
biggrin.gif

You'll be getting the right sound quality of out of the HE-400 now
beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #1,461 of 5,854
Dec 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,462 of 5,854
Thanks for the wonderful review David! I started reading this thread as soon as it was posted, but I took my time. I've finally caught up reading through the rest of the comments and you replies. I think it makes it even better that you're taking time to clear up any questions people have had.

I've recently added the HE-6 and ESP-950 to my personal stable and do believe that you'd enjoy the sonics of the ESP-950. I also think the 950 will get some big knocks for the build quality/aesthetics. At $582 (it's lowest Amazon price on Cyber Monday), I'd say it's well worth it. Plus it's actually "portable" (comes with a battery pack and carrying case). I'm not sure which one I prefer yet between the HE-6 and the ESP-950, but I'm still waiting on a Cavalli Liquid Glass and a speaker adapter for the HE-6. Only time (and more gear) will tell. I look forward to the two new reviews you'll be adding (HE-400 and the mystery cans).

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,463 of 5,854
Quote:
I've recently added the HE-6 and ESP-950 to my personal stable and do believe that you'd enjoy the sonics of the ESP-950. I also think the 950 will get some big knocks for the build quality/aesthetics. At $582 (it's lowest Amazon price on Cyber Monday), I'd say it's well worth it. Plus it's actually "portable" (comes with a battery pack and carrying case). I'm not sure which one I prefer yet between the HE-6 and the ESP-950, but I'm still waiting on a Cavalli Liquid Glass and a speaker adapter for the HE-6. Only time (and more gear) will tell. I look forward to the two new reviews you'll be adding (HE-400 and the mystery cans).

Regarding the ESP-950, I like the quotes used on "portable".  If speaking to someone in person about them I'd expect "air quotes" be obligatory when saying 'portable' too.  :p

I didn't see a thread started by you about them.  Is there another thread where you posted a bit more of your thoughts about them?  I'm very interested in picking it up too and may do so late this year or early next.

Thanx,
-steve

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #1,464 of 5,854
Quote:

FINALLY!!!
biggrin.gif

You'll be getting the right sound quality of out of the HE-400 now
beerchug.gif

hahaha, tonight going out probably won't have any time to listen again :frowning2:
Quote:
Someone put a lawton audio on his hands!

Great review David :)

Hahaha thanks!
Quote:
Yes, put the LA7000 on the list also

I wasn't planning to include the LA7000:frowning2:  Maybe if i heard it and was impressed i would
Quote:
U mean the lawton audio pads?

or maybe this?
Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful review David! I started reading this thread as soon as it was posted, but I took my time. I've finally caught up reading through the rest of the comments and you replies. I think it makes it even better that you're taking time to clear up any questions people have had.

Thanks Jazzer Dave:) I'm a Jazzer Dave too! haha I definitely, would be interested including the ESP950.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #1,465 of 5,854
David I was able to purchase the Fostex TH900 for $1495 two days ago in Australia - I wonder what value rating you would have given them at that price???

Once again thanks for the excellent report.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #1,466 of 5,854
Almost more than this groundbreaking review,I do admire David's patience in answering all those questions a la "Where does my headphone fit in this?" etc.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,467 of 5,854
Almost more than this groundbreaking review,I do admire David's patience in answering all those questions a la "Where does my headphone fit in this?" etc.:veryevil:

Yeah..his patience is worth noting..but..then again it shows he is a great guy..the world needs those people :D

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,468 of 5,854
What a task David ... Congratulations!
You have done great service to the head-fiers ... I could not even dream of undertaking such a task ...

Need a little help ...
As of a few years ago ... re-cabled 701 used to be my favorite pair ... except they were uncomfortable on my head and I desired more bass out of them.
I went through most of Grados - all the way up the ladder ... found them too colored for my taste ...
Senn 600/650 with fancy cords ... Nah (too closed in)

I have HE-500 - I like them but I dream of HD-800 but read that they are hard to amp / match.
I picked up T1s during black friday (though I was not impressed by them during shows) ...

Is there an amp that makes T1 really shine (sound-stage is so important for me) 
Or am I better off with 800

Either way (800 or T1), I need a solid amp recommendation and finally balanced or single ended cable.
I have been hearing good things about Bryston's BHA-1 (except strange volume control)

Thanks
Sunil

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,469 of 5,854
Quote:
What a task David ... Congratulations!
You have done great service to the head-fiers ... I could not even dream of undertaking such a task ...

Need a little help ...
As of a few years ago ... re-cabled 701 used to be my favorite pair ... except they were uncomfortable on my head and I desired more bass out of them.
I went through most of Grados - all the way up the ladder ... found them too colored for my taste ...
Senn 600/650 with fancy cords ... Nah (too closed in)

I have HE-500 - I like them but I dream of HD-800 but read that they are hard to amp / match.
I picked up T1s during black friday (though I was not impressed by them during shows) ...

Is there an amp that makes T1 really shine (sound-stage is so important for me) 
Or am I better off with 800

Either way (800 or T1), I need a solid amp recommendation and finally balanced or single ended cable.
I have been hearing good things about Bryston's BHA-1 (except strange volume control)

Thanks
Sunil

Best amp synergy with the T1s was the WA2 (with TS5998, Siemens E88CC or Mullard CV2492 and Telefunken EZ80 tubes). End game amp for the T1s IMO.

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,470 of 5,854
David, where you at the Head-fi meet held in Queens NY (on Queens Blvd near the LI boarder) at the end of 2006? (or maybe it was the beginning of 2007).  And maybe you were starting with headphones.com at that time too?  I ask as I believe I met you there & then.  Am I mixing you up with someone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back