Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Mar 21, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #4,862 of 5,854
  AMPS/DACS? His girlfriend would run him clean out of the city! 
tongue_smile.gif

He did say he'd put a price on anything...

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #4,864 of 5,854
He put a price on his w3000 over his th900 and lcd3 which I wasn't expecting. Not selling those two. Glad I got a response but I feel like a complete looser inquiring about a headphone I should have known that I couldn't afford. Lol. We're on these forums every day adding things up. When someone offers to sell you one headphone but not the other makes you think that there's a reason he's selling it off.

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #4,865 of 5,854
Damn, all that gear I'd like to own..

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #4,868 of 5,854
He put a price on his w3000 over his th900 and lcd3 which I wasn't expecting. Not selling those two. Glad I got a response but I feel like a complete looser inquiring about a headphone I should have known that I couldn't afford. Lol. We're on these forums every day adding things up. When someone offers to sell you one headphone but not the other makes you think that there's a reason he's selling it off.

the thing is i don't really know what the W3000 will go for in a few years.  They had a short run, so if they're being fetched at 1100 right now, it very possibly could be double that in 5 years.  It happens all the time, but the real reason I don't want to part with them so easily is because I'm moving to a place that I will likely be better served by closed headphones :)

Even Orpheus and R10?

Yes I would sell all three if  I were given an offer on (or around) what I paid for them.  It would help with my moving expenses :)

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #4,870 of 5,854
  the thing is i don't really know what the W3000 will go for in a few years.  They had a short run, so if they're being fetched at 1100 right now, it very possibly could be double that in 5 years.

Probably not based on two pieces of data:
1. Appreciation on the very rarest (generally very best and most-coveted) discontinued headphones, namely the trio of HE90, R10, and Omega.
  1. The HE90 (headphone only) sold for as little as $5k I believe and will fetch up to ~$10k or more these days for obvious reasons (~350 units, reputation, et alia).
  2. The MDR-R10 sold for ~$4000 and will fetch highly variable pricing from $3000 to $6000+ due to deterioration concerns (~2000 produced).
  3. The SR-Omega sold for ~$2000 and will fetch prices from $3500 to $4500 (~450 units produced).

These have all been legendary headphones for nearly (or over) a decade and they haven't appreciated nearly as much as might be expected (some hardly twofold).

2. Appreciation on the Audio-Technica line:
  1. The ESW10 sold for about $500 and will fetch around the same to $600 today, despite being one of the most desirable portable headphones ever made.
  2. The W3000 was typically available for $1000-1300 new, and the majority of the units sold have fallen within that range (admittedly too soon to say).
  3. The L3000 was sold for ~$2000, and units sold over the past year or two have gone for ~$2500 (despite <500 units produced).

Given that even the rarest and best-reputed limited ATH has appreciated even less than the legendary trio despite a small number of units and quite a number of years since release, I think much appreciation on the 2000-unit W3000 is wishful thinking at best...

Of course, I haven't found enough data on the original pricing of the older Audio Technica limited headphones to corroborate further.

If you're looking for an appreciating investment, I suggest you sell me your W3000 (and potentially R10) and put the proceeds into some the stock market just after the bubble inevitably bursts. 
wink_face.gif
 Of course stocks aren't really something you can listen to...

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #4,871 of 5,854
Mar 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4,872 of 5,854
Can I just come over and hang out for a while?

Ha! :)

Probably not based on two pieces of data:
1. Appreciation on the very rarest (generally very best and most-coveted) discontinued headphones, namely the trio of HE90, R10, and Omega.
  1. The HE90 (headphone only) sold for as little as $5k I believe and will fetch up to ~$10k or more these days for obvious reasons (~350 units, reputation, et alia).
  2. The MDR-R10 sold for ~$4000 and will fetch highly variable pricing from $3000 to $6000+ due to deterioration concerns (~2000 produced).
  3. The SR-Omega sold for ~$2000 and will fetch prices from $3500 to $4500 (~450 units produced).

These have all been legendary headphones for nearly (or over) a decade and they haven't appreciated nearly as much as might be expected (some hardly twofold).

2. Appreciation on the Audio-Technica line:
  1. The ESW10 sold for about $500 and will fetch around the same to $600 today, despite being one of the most desirable portable headphones ever made.
  2. The W3000 was typically available for $1000-1300 new, and the majority of the units sold have fallen within that range (admittedly too soon to say).
  3. The L3000 was sold for ~$2000, and units sold over the past year or two have gone for ~$2500 (despite <500 units produced).

Given that even the rarest and best-reputed limited ATH has appreciated even less than the legendary trio despite a small number of units and quite a number of years since release, I think much appreciation on the 2000-unit W3000 is wishful thinking at best...

Of course, I haven't found enough data on the original pricing of the older Audio Technica limited headphones to corroborate further.

If you're looking for an appreciating investment, I suggest you sell me your W3000 (and potentially R10) and put the proceeds into some the stock market just after the bubble inevitably bursts. 
wink_face.gif
 Of course stocks aren't really something you can listen to...

I liked that ending :wink:

I'm not super eager to sell any of the gear, so I would want about what I put into it.  If I sold the Orpheus, it would be with the Aristaeus.  I also have 4 extra unused headbands, and 3 pairs of unused earpads.... And the headphone is in near-mint condition.  I will say, that I paid for more than 10k for just the headphone.  I actually paid above the asking prices you list for a lot of the headphones based on the condition and the fact that I really did want to include them for the purpose of this article.

If someone made a very compelling offer for the Aristaeus / Orpheus combo I would consider it.  It's not something I'm aching to sell, so it would probably need to be a very high offer. 

I paid quite a bit more for the Omega than 4500.  I've seen it go for much higher than what I paid for it too.

I think after the move (which will be toward the end of April) I will spend some time with the W3000 and figure out if I will sell them.

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #4,873 of 5,854

If you buy his house, maybe the headphones will be included
biggrin.gif

Or more likely if you buy all his headphones maybe the house will be included

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #4,874 of 5,854
I'm not super eager to sell any of the gear, so I would want about what I put into it.  If I sold the Orpheus, it would be with the Aristaeus.  I also have 4 extra unused headbands, and 3 pairs of unused earpads.... And the headphone is in near-mint condition.  I will say, that I paid for more than 10k for just the headphone.  I actually paid above the asking prices you list for a lot of the headphones based on the condition and the fact that I really did want to include them for the purpose of this article.

If someone made a very compelling offer for the Aristaeus / Orpheus combo I would consider it.  It's not something I'm aching to sell, so it would probably need to be a very high offer. 

I paid quite a bit more for the Omega than 4500.  I've seen it go for much higher than what I paid for it too.

Yup, all in good fun. It wouldn't make sense to not at least recoup your investment on something you don't even want to get rid of, especially if you're in no pressing need for the $.

Prices on rare headphones are indeed highly volatile since it is a seller's market. Demand will always outstrip what scarce supply ever makes itself available.

Having a SR-Omega myself, I think you're crazy (in a jocular way) for even considering selling the HE90, MDR-R10, or Omegas. But I'm still highly tempted by your R10s. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #4,875 of 5,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back