Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Jul 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #4,232 of 5,854
On the Mad Dog thread some interesting comments.  DM what's your take on these?  Might pull the trigger soon - free trial period.

From jfrocke:

Quote:
"I am extremely pleased with the Mad Dog headphones!  In my opinion they are in the same league sonically as the much more expensive Audeze LCD-3 and in a few specific ways I feel the Mad Dog's are actually superior to the LCD-3.  Below are my detailed notes that I took as I compared the two headphones over the course of a couple of weeks.

1. The Mad Dog's have a slight midbass emphasis compared to the Audeze LCD-3 along with slightly less low bass extension.  In all fairness I feel the LCD-3 are a touch elevated in the low bass region to begin with but this is not an bad thing to the resulting sound quality that they achieve.

1. The Mad Dog's have a moderately more transparent midrange versus the LCD-3 in my system.  This is the most notable difference between the two headphones to my ears.  While the LCD-3 are very enjoyable to listen to and have a wonderful sounding midrange, the Mad Dog’s clearly resolve more midrange detail to me.

1. The highs between the two headphones are pretty close.  The highs seem slightly more tonally accurate on the LCD-3 but are slightly airier sounding on the Mad Dog's.

1. The LCD-3 soundstage is more spacious & "out of head" sounding but here again the Mad Dog's still seem airier/open.

1. The LCD-3 have better macrodynamics/slam but the Mad Dog's have better microdynamics and are faster sounding.

Overall the sound quality that the Mad Dog's offer is fantastic and they are a tremendous value for the money."

Another interesting quote:

From kskwerl:
Quote:
I had a pair of modded T50RPs before I got my LCD-2's, being driven by the Schiit Lyr and I was..not disappointed but thought my T50RPs sounded better than the LCD-2's but having spent 1k on them I just didn't want to believe it. If I could go back I would have never gotten the LCD-2's, don't get me wrong they sound great and are awesome but not for 1000 bucks. Not even close compared to what i spent on the T50RPs and modding supplies.

This is really interesting.  I hope I'm not opening another "taboo",  can't go there topic
blink.gif

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #4,233 of 5,854
Quote:
Love to get the LCD2 revise but worry about the cracking of the wood at the end cables.

Based on reviews, it seems that folks are having better luck with the bamboo version than with the rosewood version.  

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4,234 of 5,854
I wish DM could listen to the Stax T1/Lambda Signature. Just for the sake of it, it's a very interesting system and very revealing. Wonder if he's viewing the thread, we haven't seen him for some days..

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4,235 of 5,854
Quote:
I wish DM could listen to the Stax T1/Lambda Signature. Just for the sake of it, it's a very interesting system and very revealing. Wonder if he's viewing the thread, we haven't seen him for some days..

I've been here, I just have been resting my hands from typing:)

I haven't heard that system, but if I get the chance at the next meet which it appears, I'd be happy to post some impressions.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #4,236 of 5,854
Quote:
Love to get the LCD2 revise but worry about the cracking of the wood at the end cables.

I don't think you should worry much about that these days, they've reformed the design in an attempt to alleviate the cause of cracking, but even if it does, the manufacturer is good to replace them models that crack:)

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4,237 of 5,854
Quote:
On the Mad Dog thread some interesting comments.  DM what's your take on these?  Might pull the trigger soon - free trial period.

From jfrocke:

From kskwerl:

This is really interesting.  I hope I'm not opening another "taboo",  can't go there topic
blink.gif

There's been a lot of discussion about the Maddogs but to this day I haven't heard them.  I do know that they leave quite an impression on many, so I can only say they must have their merits:)  The Paradox equal-as-much.

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #4,238 of 5,854
Can't you sue that acupuncturist or something? Then you can afford more gear 
size]

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #4,239 of 5,854
I am sitting in front of computer in awe after perusing your review David... Although I dont have the resources to get those high end gear, I am very happy with the purchase of DT880 under the guidance of your review. Thanks David

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #4,240 of 5,854
Quote:
Can't you sue that acupuncturist or something? Then you can afford more gear 
size]

LOL it was getting better, and then i tried an electronic hand massager and it made it MUCH worse.  
Quote:
I am sitting in front of computer in awe after perusing your review David... Although I dont have the resources to get those high end gear, I am very happy with the purchase of DT880 under the guidance of your review. Thanks David

You're welcome! :) thanks as well

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #4,241 of 5,854
Quote:
Quote:

From jfrocke:

From kskwerl:

blink.gif

There's been a lot of discussion about the Maddogs but to this day I haven't heard them.  I do know that they leave quite an impression on many, so I can only say they must have their merits:)  The Paradox equal-as-much.

I'm always here to send my Paradox to you:)

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #4,242 of 5,854
Quote:

I will be buying the new Universal Mad Dogs with the improved connector and 1/4 inch cable.  It'll give me just a little ortho juxtaposition to the HD800/Black Dragons, and at the very least an excellent semi-closed back isolator.  Win-win.  At $400 not bad. I doubt it can unseat the supreme HD800/Black Dragon though.  We'll see.

As always your POV is very helpful. 

And please get well...

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4,243 of 5,854
Quote:
I'm always here to send my Paradox to you:)

:) I will let you know.  I'm presently backlogged. But maybe it will be faster now that my hands and ears are more manageable.

Quote:
I will be buying the new Universal Mad Dogs with the improved connector and 1/4 inch cable.  It'll give me just a little ortho juxtaposition to the HD800/Black Dragons, and at the very least an excellent semi-closed back isolator.  Win-win.  At $400 not bad. I doubt it can unseat the supreme HD800/Black Dragon though.  We'll see.

As always your POV is very helpful. 

And please get well...

Thank you:)

I'm starting to feel a lot better in the hands....ergonomic keyboards galore :)

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #4,245 of 5,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back