Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,876 of 5,854
I kind of think that, if the HD800s did not have the Sennheiser name, they might be considered a niche phone for those seeking a specialized detailed analytical sound to highlight
a very high quality refined and not-too-hyper upstream chain. I do like mine (after a lot of work tweaking my system), but I would not recommend them to someone as a
"safe" choice, meaning one that would sound appealing and engaging on first listen with a variety of equipment feeding them.
For that, I would recommend HE500s or even Fostex TH900s.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,877 of 5,854
I kind of think that, if the HD800s did not have the Sennheiser name, they might be considered a niche phone for those seeking a specialized detailed analytical sound to highlight
a very high quality refined and not-too-hyper upstream chain. I do like mine (after a lot of work tweaking my system), but I would not recommend them to someone as a
"safe" choice, meaning one that would sound appealing and engaging on first listen with a variety of equipment feeding them.

+1 i agree...the hd800..allthough being an excellent phone, it is very picky..especially how to drive it.the he500 is much more forgiving..pityful i cant say anything bout the fostex as i didnt have the pleasure to hear it..yet :D

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,878 of 5,854
Quote:

I agree that the HD800 requires careful consideration regarding amplification.  I disagree if it is your intention to imply that myself and the majority of the community has a bias toward's its quality because we esteem Sennheiser as a company.  If that were true, i would think the HD700 would have fared better.  Again, that may not be your intention though
smily_headphones1.gif
  Not trying to start any arguments, but I don't think there's a significant-enough industry-wide bias toward Sennheiser, which makes people forgive their less-than-ideal products.  Certainly, on my part, I confirm having absolutely no biases toward any manufacturer.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #1,879 of 5,854
Quote:
I do like [my HD800's], but I would not recommend them to someone as a "safe" choice.

True, the higher you go, the trickier the path to success.

(and the larger the payoff) 
L3000.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,880 of 5,854
Just curious, what would be regarded as a safe choice at a high tier? (HD800/LCD3 level)

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #1,882 of 5,854
Quote:
define safe choice? If it means easy to amp..... TH900 is the easiest (that i can think of at the moment, non-in ear)

hmm i see, thanks david, was just thinking what was 'safe' since the HD800 is considered 'not safe' as posted somewhere above
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,883 of 5,854
Quote:

I agree that the HD800 requires careful consideration regarding amplification.  I disagree if it is your intention to imply that myself and the majority of the community has a bias toward's its quality because we esteem Sennheiser as a company.  If that were true, i would think the HD700 would have fared better.  Again, that may not be your intention though
smily_headphones1.gif
  Not trying to start any arguments, but I don't think there's a significant-enough industry-wide bias toward Sennheiser, which makes people forgive their less-than-ideal products.  Certainly, on my part, I confirm having absolutely no biases toward any manufacturer.

OK, I take that back about the Sennheiser bias. I certainly don't think that you or anyone here or the headfi community as a whole is biased to Senn, that'd be an absurd thing to say and I guess it came across all wrong. 
I guess, after living with the HD800s all this time, I still find it hard to believe that the biggest name in high end phones produced a flagship so analytical in so many ordinary listening situations and I think some people, probably outside the serious headfi world,  will buy it under the assumption that a company like Sennheiser would not do this.
I think Sennheiser may have betrayed the trust of the larger, general public looking for "good sound" with the HD800s. So my comment was really aimed at the Senn customers outside the headfi community.

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #1,884 of 5,854
Quote:
OK, I take that back about the Sennheiser bias. I certainly don't think that you or anyone here or the headfi community as a whole is biased to Senn, that'd be an absurd thing to say and I guess it came across all wrong. 
I guess, after living with the HD800s all this time, I still find it hard to believe that the biggest name in high end phones produced a flagship so analytical in so many ordinary listening situations and I think some people, probably outside the serious headfi world,  will buy it under the assumption that a company like Sennheiser would not do this.
I think Sennheiser may have betrayed the trust of the larger, general public looking for "good sound" with the HD800s. So my comment was really aimed at the Senn customers outside the headfi community.

but their higher end line has always been aimed at the serious hi-fi people aren't they?
confused.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #1,886 of 5,854
Quote:
A while back some lady called Suzy Orman's show to ask if she could afford a pair of HD800s. I kept thinking she would spend half her life savings,
plug them in her iPod and end up screaming.

That reminds me of iLounge promoting the K701 as one of the best iPod compatible headphones.  hahaha :)

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,888 of 5,854
Holy Cow..yeah I know some one probably already said it, but Holy Cow that's a lot of work!!!

Nice long read ahead of me, I have only skimmed so far...but nice job David!!!

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,889 of 5,854
Quote:
膜拜大神。
Great Job!!!

Thanks!!

Quote:
Holy Cow..yeah I know some one probably already said it, but Holy Cow that's a lot of work!!!

Nice long read ahead of me, I have only skimmed so far...but nice job David!!!

Thanks also!! 

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,890 of 5,854
The B-side.

Your undertaking has proven to be quite extraordinary, with results that are no less than remarkable. Even the artwork is entertaining. On the flip side, I wanted to add that I think you're doing a great job of fielding/answering questions and taking requests. With the latter leaving a classic track stuck in my head: "Request Line" by Rock Master Scott & The Dynamic Three
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back