Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,771 of 5,854
Quote:

And what evidence do we have that you haven't been wearing high heels, hmm?

I'm waiting.

tongue.gif

Quote:
Pleased I'm not the only one who listens to their music in high heels. (only when the wife is out:wink:

Of course this is for the damping factor you understand. Don't want any unnecessary vibrations traveling from my headphones to the floor. *Cough*

Like this

Kinda weird though
blink.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,777 of 5,854
holey shet i didnt realise it was tyll until you guys mentioned it lol

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #1,780 of 5,854
Hello David!

I also think it is not the grill.
In german it is called "Dämpfung" which has to be replaced.
I am not sure if damping is the correkt translation.
The problem is, that the "Dämpfung" gets to soft after years and therefore is has to be replaced.
If the "Dämpfung" is to soft, the speaker touches the grid and therefore you hear the noise (rattle).
I already mentioned, that AKG in Vienna can replace it.
I will send you a PN for AKG contact information.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,783 of 5,854
Quote:
Hello David!
I also think it is not the grill.
In german it is called "Dämpfung" which has to be replaced.
I am not sure if damping is the correkt translation.
The problem is, that the "Dämpfung" gets to soft after years and therefore is has to be replaced.
If the "Dämpfung" is to soft, the speaker touches the grid and therefore you hear the noise (rattle).
I already mentioned, that AKG in Vienna can replace it.
I will send you a PN for AKG contact information.

Thank you Hubert.  That would explain a lot because the problem was partially fixed when I taped the perimeter of one of my K1000s with electric tape to keep the grills still, but the problem wasn't fixed entirely.  It's too bad I wasn't able to properly diagnose the issue because the tape sure doesn't look so hot :)

Quote:
DavidMahler, what amplifier you recommend to use with HD800?

And did you hear the AKG K550?

Hi Foxy, it depends what you want to spend.

I think the best amp that I've heard is the Neo Classic 300B by Manley Labs.  It's one of the best pairings in my whole collection I think.  That's a very expensive amp though.  There are Lebens that people swear by but I haven't heard them much.
The Ray Samuels Raptor sounds very very good with the HD800.

If you wish to go Solid State, I think the SPL Phonitor OR Auditor is a tremendous pairing.

I have not heard the AKG K550 yet (at least I can't remember having heard it)

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,784 of 5,854
Hey David, thanks again for the wonderful work and as far as I'm concerned, one of the best the review/comparisons on the net! (and I do spend too much time surfing tech and audio stuff)

Quick question for you. I have the HD700's which I really do like and have been looking for a complimentary set of cans. I've narrowed it down to the HE500 and the LCD2r2. I've had the HD600, HD650 and HE400 and prefer the HD700 over them (open, airy, fast, solid bass but a little sharp at times). I liked the fullness of the HE400 but there seemed to be something missing. From what little I've heard of the LCD2r1, I really like them. A little less polite with some good slam. I've read so many good things about the HE500 though but will not have a chance to hear them. Basically looking for a can with some more (good) bass slam, fullness/richness in the mids and a little less sharp.  Any thoughts between the two as a compliment to the HD700?
Thanks! M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back