Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,686 of 5,854
smily_headphones1.gif
Good resources for HEADFIER and I will read twice.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,688 of 5,854
Wow, this is some awesome reading.  Very educational, full of history.  Thank you very much.
Two questions (that are affecting me personally):
How do you make a living/budget your spending to support this expensive hobby? 
What do you tell your significant other or girlfriend?

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #1,689 of 5,854
Just wondering did you ever try the Comfy Pads for the MS-Pros?

Like yourself I found the bowel pads quite uncomfortable, but with the comfy pads they are very comfortable.......I also think they sound better, but this is preference. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #1,691 of 5,854
Quote:
Wow, this is some awesome reading.  Very educational, full of history.  Thank you very much.
Two questions (that are affecting me personally):
How do you make a living/budget your spending to support this expensive hobby? 
What do you tell your significant other or girlfriend?

Thank you.

1) I used to frequently do live work and recording sessions before my hand started to experience problems.  But with most of that work not applicable to me now, I don't see myself continuing the review much longer.

2) I tell her "one day, when your stock iPhone buds break, you'll be in need of a pair of headphones....  And fortunately for your you, Walmart is just a quick drive away" :wink:

Just kidding, actually I've never needed to give explanation as long as my bills were paid and I could buy her things:)
Quote:
Just wondering did you ever try the Comfy Pads for the MS-Pros?

Like yourself I found the bowel pads quite uncomfortable, but with the comfy pads they are very comfortable.......I also think they sound better, but this is preference. 

Do you mean the L Cush pads that come with the PS/GS Grado series?  No I haven't swapped them out.
Quote:
this is a question never do
rolleyes.gif

haha its ok.  its been asked a lot in this thread and I've answered it :)

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,692 of 5,854
First of all, kudos and a big "Thank YOU!" to David for dedicating so much time to this comprehensive guide. I believe he deserves a canvas Time Bandits/LOTR style map of the "Kingdom of Headphonia" for all of his hard work.

I've heard nearly everything (IEM's excepted) on his list short of a few outliers such as the Ultrasone and JVC, and generally agree with his rankings from the Orpheus on down. I've long held the HD600 and Grado SR-225 as price/performance leaders. However, my one significant divergence is with the HiFiMan HE-500... it just doesn't fit into the way I view the headphone hierarchy.

I briefly owned the HE-500 and paired it with a Decware Taboo. The HE-500 delivered satisfyingly deep bass and excelled with certain instruments such as the piano. What bothered me most was the uneven soundstaging. Human voices sounded as if they were coming from a different area of the venue, as if artificially recessed or encased within a plastic bubble. This lack of cohesiveness across the band was frustrating to experience. My mind wanted to enjoy the excellent rendering of individual sounds but was unable to integrate them uniformly. By comparison, my Grado 225's (despite being less sophisticated and having a smaller soundstage) were much more fun to listen to via the Taboo because the sound was consistent across the spectrum.

I didn't keep the HE-500's very long. I found them to be rather heavy, hot, and required occasional adjustment to prevent the hard surfaces of the speaker area from brushing against the top of my ears. Overall refinement & appearance was a bit rough in comparison with other peers at this price point. I dunno... the HD800 in my opinion vastly outclasses it in terms of detail retrieval, neutrality, comfort, soundstaging, fit and finish, and realism. Like, no contest.

*shrug* I'll have to confirm this at the next Head-Fi meet & contrast with some LCD's to find out what's what.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,693 of 5,854
Quote:
First of all, kudos and a big "Thank YOU!" to David for dedicating so much time to this comprehensive guide. I believe he deserves a canvas Time Bandits/LOTR style map of the "Kingdom of Headphonia" for all of his hard work.

I've heard nearly everything (IEM's excepted) on his list short of a few outliers such as the Ultrasone and JVC, and generally agree with his rankings from the Orpheus on down. I've long held the HD600 and Grado SR-225 as price/performance leaders. However, my one significant divergence is with the HiFiMan HE-500... it just doesn't fit into the way I view the headphone hierarchy.

I briefly owned the HE-500 and paired it with a Decware Taboo. The HE-500 delivered satisfyingly deep bass and excelled with certain instruments such as the piano. What bothered me most was the uneven soundstaging. Human voices sounded as if they were coming from a different area of the venue, as if artificially recessed or encased within a plastic bubble. This lack of cohesiveness across the band was frustrating to experience. My mind wanted to enjoy the excellent rendering of individual sounds but was unable to integrate them uniformly. By comparison, my Grado 225's (despite being less sophisticated and having a smaller soundstage) were much more fun to listen to via the Taboo because the sound was consistent across the spectrum.

I didn't keep the HE-500's very long. I found them to be rather heavy, hot, and required occasional adjustment to prevent the hard surfaces of the speaker area from brushing against the top of my ears. Overall refinement & appearance was a bit rough in comparison with other peers at this price point. I dunno... the HD800 in my opinion vastly outclasses it in terms of detail retrieval, neutrality, comfort, soundstaging, fit and finish, and realism. Like, no contest.

*shrug* I'll have to confirm this at the next Head-Fi meet & contrast with some LCD's to find out what's what.

Thank you!!! :)

The Hifiman headphones have hurt my ears at times too.  I know what you're talking about.  It was especially a problem with the original HE-6.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,694 of 5,854
Speaking of the HE-500, I'm bummed today because I went to resume my review of the HE-400 and in the process of switching the cable back and forth several times, I think the twisting over and over has created a short in the left side of my connector.  And since APS no longer is in business, I doubt I can get it fixed easily.  It's like the headphone gods don't want me to finish this HE-400 review.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #1,695 of 5,854
Quote:
Speaking of the HE-500, I'm bummed today because I went to resume my review of the HE-400 and in the process of switching the cable back and forth several times, I think the twisting over and over has created a short in the left side of my connector.  And since APS no longer is in business, I doubt I can get it fixed easily.  It's like the headphone gods don't want me to finish this HE-400 review.

Wow, that sucks. and I was really looking forward to this review...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back