Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)
Dec 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,636 of 5,854
Hello David,

Have you ever listened to Akg K550? I got one recently and I think it is very good for a closed pair of headphones.

Though it does some things better than HD650, I still consider HD650 to be better, but they are perfect for office and noisy environments.

Some people say it is better than AKG K701 ( I liked it more too, though I did not have much time to compare them ). I sure consider them to be better than DT770 :D

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,637 of 5,854
Quote:
Hello David,

Have you ever listened to Akg K550? I got one recently and I think it is very good for a closed pair of headphones.

Though it does some things better than HD650, I still consider HD650 to be better, but they are perfect for office and noisy environments.

Some people say it is better than AKG K701 ( I liked it more too, though I did not have much time to compare them ). I sure consider them to be better than DT770 :D

I have not, but I like to pretend I have a general idea of what they sound like :D

I'm kidding, but I'm sure they are very good because AKG has managed to make some very impressive closed backs.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,638 of 5,854
Quote:
either would be good, but I tend to personally prefer the sound of the HD800 over the SR007 Mk2.5.  This is not a unanimous opinion.  Neither headphone sounds like the SR507, so you won't be wasting your $ either way.  If you listen to classical primarily, go with the HD800 I say:)  Otherwise, the SR007 Mk2 may be your best bet. It's a bit more transparent, I just find the tonal balance to be a bit harder to get along with, but as you can see, many find the HD800 to be too bright for their preferences.

Hello,

I almost never listen classical musical, rather electro music, pop, rock, soul, rap (need a LCD2-3 for this). I like clarity, speed, airiness, transparancy, detail and I need a more bodied sound with more extended bass and above all a real soundstage.

I can't decide between HE6, HD800 or SR009MkI :frowning2:

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #1,639 of 5,854
Quote:
Hello,

I almost never listen classical musical, rather electro music, pop, rock, soul, rap (need a LCD2-3 for this). I like clarity, speed, airiness, transparancy, detail and I need a more bodied sound with more extended bass and above all a real soundstage.

I can't decide between HE6, HD800 or SR009MkI 

You meant SR-007 MkI?  

I think any of those three are going to fit the bill.  

My gut feeling is that SR-007 is going to be the one you will be most satisfied with, though it is not the airiest by any means, but it is extremely good with those genres.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #1,641 of 5,854
Quote:
Hello,

I can't decide between HE6, HD800 or SR009MkI :frowning2:

Based on my experience with the HE500, I recommend the HE6 with a properly (high) powered amp. I really love my HE500s for the type of music you mentioned.
(I think you meant SR007Mk1, not 009, which has no versions.) I had the HE6 but sold it because it was a little bright, but I never got a sufficiently-powered amp for it.
I don't think the Senn 800s will get you to where you want to go here, especially in the bass/full-bodied area. 
Think about the HE500s, though.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #1,642 of 5,854
Quote:
Why do you prefer the HD800 over SR007 ?

I prefer the HD800s over the SR007s. 
smile.gif
 Now, in agreement with David, the SR-009s are a different ballgame. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,644 of 5,854
Quote:
Why do you prefer the HD800 over SR007 ?

It's hard to say why exactly.  It's a matter of preference.  I find that HD800 is a very neutral headphone and it serves as a base for me in this regard.  The SR007 is wonderfully transparent, but I have heard more transparent headphones.

Quote:
I wonder what place would the ER4S get (Etymotic's Flagship)  :)

I have owned the ER4PT, but not in a very long time.  I wouldn't want to rank them without hearing them again:)

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,645 of 5,854
If I could recommend one other flagship to add to the list it would be the SE 5-Way Reference. One of the best Customs if not the best on the market today. Not sure if he does business with US citizens anymore though.
Very nicely done comparison. The only point of view I disagree with is that of the PS1000. To me it's superior to the HD800 and T1. It's as detailed as any of those and makes the music come alive in a way only the LCD-3 can match, but in another way. The HD800 is slightly too sterile even with an amp like a Leben CS300.
Have you heard the CS300 and can compare to any other amp? 

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #1,647 of 5,854
Thank You David!  What an incredible journey - thank you for sharing your thoughts on these gems.
Personally I went from SR-80, HD-580, K501, Stax SR-303 (bad decision), AD900, and now just enjoy the DT880 (600ohm) - for all practical purposes only one HP at a time. I'd have to agree on your value rating at least with the DT880 - I've heard many of the best you list and I have stopped here - I just cannot substantiate going higher.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #1,648 of 5,854
Quote:
If I could recommend one other flagship to add to the list it would be the SE 5-Way Reference. One of the best Customs if not the best on the market today. Not sure if he does business with US citizens anymore though.
Very nicely done comparison. The only point of view I disagree with is that of the PS1000. To me it's superior to the HD800 and T1. It's as detailed as any of those and makes the music come alive in a way only the LCD-3 can match, but in another way. The HD800 is slightly too sterile even with an amp like a Leben CS300.

I had the PS1000 for quite a while and just couldn't get it to not sound bloated in the bass and siren-like in the upper mids.
But now I have Grado GS1000i phones and I like them a lot.
(I actually had the original GS1000s that I liked a lot and traded up to the PS1000s and was surprised how much I didn't like the PSs.)
There is a touch of high end accentuation in the GSs but it is somehow pleasant and sweet and exciting, like fresh air. It's a tube-like treble: all there and soaring but not piercing.

The bass is just a bit thumpy and opaque, but just a little. I love how the GSs carve out each image precisely, but not too analytically.
The mids and vocals are not quite as detailed as, say, HD800s or as smooth as silk as my AT W3000anvs or HE500s, but they have a lot of life and air.
In short, the GSs are refreshing and airy w/o being abrasive almost all the time, and can give me chills.
Piano is great with the GSs, where I feel each key come to life and fade with great harmonics; it's a very real piano somehow, maybe the best to my recollection.

The GSs do best with CDs that do not suffer from too much digititus, as they will not smooth out any digital harshness, and really benefit from Hi-Rez recordings more than other phones.
So I think I like my GS1000s overall more than my HD800s, and they are definitely go-to phones for me.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,649 of 5,854
Quote:

Isn't there a Spiral Ears 7-Way? I've been curious to know why the 5-way gets a lot of praise but I don't hear much about the 7. Is it like the infamous JH13 vs JH16 or Heir 6.A vs 8.A?

EDIT: It seems I'm misinformed (slightly stupid). That being said, if I were to get customs, going by praise; I think I'd get the 5-Way. Plus they're Polish; there's some stereotypes regarding Polish engineers. (being incredible that is)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,650 of 5,854
Quote:
Thank You David!  What an incredible journey - thank you for sharing your thoughts on these gems.
Personally I went from SR-80, HD-580, K501, Stax SR-303 (bad decision), AD900, and now just enjoy the DT880 (600ohm) - for all practical purposes only one HP at a time. I'd have to agree on your value rating at least with the DT880 - I've heard many of the best you list and I have stopped here - I just cannot substantiate going higher.

I'm glad you enjoy the DT880! Especially the 600 ohm version.  It's a great headphone.  When I got my first DT880, it only came in an 250 ohm configuration.  But the 600 ohm sounds better. Thanks for the kind words:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back