Battery for MiniDAC
Sep 7, 2005 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BillC

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally bit the bullet and ordered an Apogee MiniDAC - should be here tomorrow!

Now I'm trying to choose a battery to go with it. I've done searches here and have seen people using a lot of different approaches. Apogee recommends a $170 EcoCharge Lead-Acid Rechargeable. Someone here was using a $10 Lead-Acid Rechargeable. What does the $160 get you?

Other options include some fancy lithium-ion/lithium polymer batteries that have adjustable output voltages. Does the variable output effect noise on the output?

Anyone here knowledgeable about battery technology and want to guide me a bit?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey BillC, why do you want to run this off of battery out of curiousity?

[you might have already answered it but for the life of me I can't find the original thread I asked this]

rs1smile.gif

Trogdor

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Two Reasons:

Portability: I'd like to be able to drive the DAC from a laptop when I don't have access to AC power.

Clean Power: Batteries provide very clean power without the 60Hz harmonics that typically bleed through wall-warts.

By the way: Has your MiniDAC arrived yet? Mine is on the FedEx Truck according to tracking. It's going to be hard to work out the day
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for explaination. I can the portability aspect but I'm not sure I've ever experienced any power - audio related issues yet.

Dude, we should form a support group...I'm working from home waiting for the FedEx guy!

rs1smile.gif

Trogdor

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 8
What the $170 ecocharge system gets you is a charger, an attractive case, and well made connectors and cables. Otherwise, just get a good lead acid battery. I like powersonics, but it probably doesn't matter too much. A good charger will extend the life of the battery.

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks, Grawk. I like nice connectors and case but not at that price. For that price difference I can drag out my soldering iron and make some cables. Anyone know the specifics of the MiniDAC power connector? I know it's 6-12 VDC, center positive but I don't know the diameter.

Sep 9, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
Thanks, Grawk. I like nice connectors and case but not at that price. For that price difference I can drag out my soldering iron and make some cables. Anyone know the specifics of the MiniDAC power connector? I know it's 6-12 VDC, center positive but I don't know the diameter.

You need a Radioshack Adaptaplug size M Catalog #: 273-1716(http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=273-1716)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back