Bass on apple earbuds? Real bass!!
Aug 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

myemaildw

Headphoneus Supremus
I feel like there is a need to start this thread, because the project i have been working on is actually giving some impressive results.

to start i need to give you a little background. i used to have apple earbuds, and i wan’t happy with the sound. i noticed that i would get way better sound when i press earphones to my ears i get pretty good sound. but my arms would get tired. then i tried to attach earplugs and tape earplugs to apple earbuds, they would become too quiet and i dont’ like earplugs in my ears, they absorb a lot of moisture and become gunky quite fast.
the i tried to use empty part of a pen ink tube and tape it to apple earbuds, they would scream too loud, and putting earplugs into the tubes didn’t make good sound for me. and still the tips that i used were earplugs with hole for the tube and the tube would come out from the plug.

Then i realised that i had apple in ear earphones, that i purchased a while ago. were so expensive and really got disapointed by the sound, the sound was less bassy that apple earbuds. but at a time there was a hype for sealed in ear earbuds. i paid 60 euro for those apple in ear. anyway, i got an idea to remove those metal tips and use them on apple earbuds and put the silicon tips on them. and obviously they would also scream, but i put a part of a circular earplug in the cavity inside the metal parts of in ear apple earbuds and taped them to apple earbuds. i really got impressed with the sound. the only problem was that the lower frequencies were descent the earplug really removed all the high frequency sounds, ie singers voice.

so now, later i realised that i had apple in ear speakers from in ear apple earbuds. and i realised that i could put those in the metal housing of ear tips. and i figured i could drive both earphones in one ear through a 3.5mm splitter. i got the earplug circular thing out and made a landscape cut out for the smaller speakers in the earplugs, for speakers to fit. and i taped the in ear speakers with earplug seal with metal tip assembly on apple earbuds. and put silicon tips on them. the sound is incredible.

but later i found that sound on left earphones were slower in volume. i’ve no idea why that is. may be because i opened the left apple earbud assembly and may be that damaged the left earbud speaker. or may be the 3.5 mm jack splitter is a little defective or something like that. i opened audio midi setup app on mac and adjusted volume on left earphone to be higher, and on the right speaker to be a little lower. so far i like the sound.

current issues is that the lower frequencies on the left earphone are not as low on the right one. and adjusting the volume on left speaker makes them too loud and hurts left ear a little so i lowered the volume on left earphone. Although they are very close.

what can i improve in the future. find out a way to make the same lower frequencies on the left apple earbud. and buy a smaller 3.5 mm splitter. the splitter i use right is 5 splitter and is a little large because of it. if i get only with 2 i will get quite compact earphones. may be get another eartips, those that are a tree shaped. may be get another apple earbuds or at least replace left speaker on apple earbuds, to make them sound equal on lower frequencies. and i know for sure it is not my ears because when i put right earbud in my left ear i hear the same bass on left ear as on right ear. and putting the sound higher in audio midi setup app higher on left earbud makes them scream a little loud. may be because of in ear speakers are find, and apple earbud on left speaker is a little quiet since i opened the housing in that side of the apple earbuds. also may be buy a volume adjust thiny of ebay to adjust volume on the in ear earphones. The lack of bass on left earphone is really annoying, may be i should swap left speaker with another speaker on another apple earbuds i have.

I guess time will tell what i will do to make them sound perfect.

You might say, but apple earbuds are not good overall, but i agree, but i don’t know any other earphones that have the sound that i want to hear out of them.

Here are the earlier videos of these apple earbuds mod. i do not have the latest video of latest improvements, but i will make that video when i sort the sound on them a little better. the thing that is annoying me most about his apple earbuds at the moment is lack of bass on left earbud. may be i should swap speker with another apple earbud i have, to see if that makes sound more bassy on left earphone.

Just an update, it was success. i finally got the sound i wanted out of these apple earbuds. I got a new pair of apple earbuds that i had from ipod touch, and swapped them for for previous apple earbuds i had. and the sound is great and bassy on both left and right ear. at first i wanted to solder old apple earbud speaker i had. but when i took apart the left earbud casing on some earbuds i had, the membrane actually came out from the magnet. so i figured i need just to get a new apple earbuds. that’s what i did. i took new ipod touch apple earbuds and swapped the apple earbuds i had before with in ear apple earbuds speakers. and now the low frequencies are great on the left and right earbuds. and in ear apple earbuds speakers fill in the higher friequencies, such as vocals.

What’s incredible are the crisp high quality of lower frequencies that i hear out of these earphones. without any equaliser. because i get clear sound. and i did nothing sound wise to the earphones so they make high quality sound. I haven’t herd such a sound out beats pro headphones i have, neither from beats tour earphones. may be i could dissasemble beats tour and insert their earphones in the metal housing of in ear earphones instead of in ear ones.

I really like the way i do not need to use any equlisers because they usually reduce sound quality. it makes it comfortable to use because i can use it anywhere, macbook or iphone. the lower frequencies are like on subwoofers. i will try to make a video about the final setup. i need some time to listen to them, to use them. to see what i decide on the sound.

may be anyone else would like to do the same mod. i understand that probably not everyone is going to have apple in ear earbuds, but i’m sure you can buy those on ebay, even replicas for 5 euro probably going to do to fill in the higher frequencies.

Here are the earlier videos. i try to make rescent video some time. this is may be to give you some idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTX9Kg3LBHk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exg8eVkhneQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back