Bass boost and frequency setting in Headphone amps
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DexterMorgan

100+ Head-Fier
Can headphone amps increase bass and allow other frequency tweaks without the distortion that occurs in the equaliser in winamp?
I guess by working in the analog domain?

If so, what would be a good amp to use with  laptops?

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Can headphone amps increase bass and allow other frequency tweaks without the distortion that occurs in the equaliser in winamp?
I guess by working in the analog domain?

If so, what would be a good amp to use with  laptops?

yes, many amps color the sound, and many amps offer a bass boost functions, the e11 is well regarded for example, but personally i dont like how it boosts half the mids aswell. the digizoid zo2 has alot more range, and actually boosts bass only (well, almost) but i have never used one so i dont want to recommend it myself, theres an impressions thread about it if your interested.

if i may offer an alternative - "electriq" is an awesome eq you can download and use with foobar, make sure you use parametric eq's and allways eq down - not up. this way youll be able to have full control, without sacrificing sq (depending on your headphones) and for free =]

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 4
if you're going to be using an amp with a laptop, get something with a dac with it
i recommend the fiio e07k or the fiio e17
they both have bass boost and have been getting decent reviews

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
yes, many amps color the sound, and many amps offer a bass boost functions, the e11 is well regarded for example, but personally i dont like how it boosts half the mids aswell. the digizoid zo2 has alot more range, and actually boosts bass only (well, almost) but i have never used one so i dont want to recommend it myself, theres an impressions thread about it if your interested.

if i may offer an alternative - "electriq" is an awesome eq you can download and use with foobar, make sure you use parametric eq's and allways eq down - not up. this way youll be able to have full control, without sacrificing sq (depending on your headphones) and for free =]

Thanks!
Do you know any Linux alternatives for Electri-Q?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back