barking dog in apartment complex: any recourse?
Dec 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
this is really driving me nuts. I could use some advice.

I live in an apartment complex and for the longest time (I've been here way more than I'd like to admit) they did not allow pets, not even cats. now, with new mgmt they now allow dogs. this is about a year ago that they changed the policy.

its an older apartment complex and the windows are not well sealed, even when fully closed. from one building that is adjacent to mine, I can hear this dog barking pretty much constantly. at least every minute, there's a bark. I'd call that constant, wouldn't you?

I've asked the apt manager (at least 5 times now) to address this. they claim they've 'sent letters' to the resident but this seems to have no teeth (forgive the pun!) and the resident just does not care.

I'm 'just' a renter here and I have no say in policy. but this barking is making my life hell, right now. do I have ANY recourse other than to simply give up and move away?

even with all my windows shut, I can't block out the noise of that damned dog. dogs who bark on and on should simply NOT be in shared apartments! this is so frustrating, as I work at home and I have to listen to this all day long (from about 8.30 am till 6pm).

I grew up having a dog but this was in a HOUSE and not an apartment. I like dogs. but I don't choose to LISTEN to them when I live in an apartment.

what to do?

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 52
Move, but that's a crap shoot.

Seal your own windows, and dampen the glass.

Use ear plugs.

Use noise-cancelling headphones.

...[This last step will get me flamed.]

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 52
can't do much about the windows. I tried some weatherstripping once but since I can't really make changes to the place (its not mine, just rented) there's only so much you can do with stick-on weatherstripping.

I wonder if there is a way to escalate this to the township? something more than just asking the apt manager to talk to the resident.

I may have to move. but before I take on that hugely disruptive effort, I'd like to know if there are other ways to solve this.

btw, I can't believe its only me that's annoyed by this. there must be other residents who also don't want to hear the constant barking.

also, a dog who is barking on and on and on; isn't that an indication that something is wrong? our dogs (that I grew up with) were quiet when we were home with them. I think this renter is away during the day and so the dog barks its head off. either way, it sounds like the dog is not enjoying its life and certainly the nearby residents are not, either.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 52
I've been in that situation. The management company (and apartment complex) were rubbish. Residents ended up calling the police (noise complaint) and whomever is responsible for the protecting animals from cruelty (obviously the animals are being left alone in the apartment for extended periods of time). As you can imagine, that had some effect
smily_headphones1.gif

I left that community as soon as my lease was up!

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 52
sigh. this is kind of what I was afraid of.

I don't want to cause trouble; I simply want to live in SOME semblance of peace and quiet.

the resident is acting irresponsibly, imho. but repeated complaints to mgmt reveal that there is nothing other than 'writing a letter' that they plan to do. afterall, the mgmt company allows pets in ALL their buildings (they are a large property mgmt company in this area of the country) and they are not willing to reverse their decision on this property even though we never (in over 10+ yrs I've been here) allowed pets. it was stupid to change the policy on such old and noisy buildings, to begin with!

I'd like to *slowly* escalate, though. I simply want the problem solved. is there a small step I can take, short of calling 'the authorities' on the resident?

moving is such a hassle. I'll do that, if its my only option; but it seems unfair to me to have to do that simply because someone *else* is making more than their fair share of noise ;(

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use noise-cancelling headphones.

...[This last step will get me flamed.]

wink.gif

I'd have to sample the dog's bark, invert it and 'key' it at just the right time to cancel with the actual dog. it sounds hard; you think it would work, though?

lol.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 52
If it is truly that annoying, I would just move. After 10 years in the same apartment, you might end up enjoying the change. Maybe even meet some new people. You are lucky in one way. I own my own home so I am stuck listening to the yapper up the streeet from me. At least it stops when they finally let it in.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 52
Apartment complexes have various issues and I have had my fair share of issues. Beyond a point unfortunately there really isnt much you can do other than move. My previous apartment had a female living under my apartment complain for any sort of movement we make, and now we have someone living above us who insists on playing loud FPS games and music after 10pm ONLY on WEEKDAYS!

Calling the management usually resolves the issue for 2-3 days and then it starts again. We have almost reached a point where we work our schedules around this and move to another room when this happens to get some peace (cos lease doesnt expire for another year)

In your situation, its even worse, because ppl cannot really tell a dog not to bark, it needs love, time and dedication from the owner. This ones obviously being ignored, possibly because they just go to work all day and end up not spending any time even in the evenings. This immediately reminded me of the episode in seinfeld where they try to kidnap the dog that annoys Elaine
smily_headphones1.gif
(not suggesting you try that, but hey...)

My only advice is to possibly try and talk to the neighbor yourself instead of going through management. Dont go there annoyed or angry, instead try and reason with them and tell them how tough it is. There have been times when this works, but there are ppl who are morons who will take that as a sign of weakness and not care. But atleast you would've tried, you can take the annoyed approach later if the reasonable approach doesnt work.

Maybe you can play really loud music, and tell them thats the only way you could drown the sound of barking dog :p

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I'd have to sample the dog's bark, invert it and 'key' it at just the right time to cancel with the actual dog. it sounds hard; you think it would work, though?

lol.

What you say would probably not work. What I was trying to say was the last step was left as "..." because I would get flamed if I spelled it out.

One homeowner (I got this second (third?) hand) recorded the barking dog onto an endless loop tape, set it to play at 100+ dB, and went on vacation. As he was a homeowner, the police could do nothing. When the fellow returned, the dog was gone. Probably not an option for you.

See if there is a local noise abatement ordinance. Contact the ASCPA.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you can play really loud music, and tell them thats the only way you could drown the sound of barking dog :p

I was tempted to tell them that
wink.gif
you want my decibel level music to stop, stop the barking dog, first
wink.gif

but escalating THAT way is not advised. this isn't a dorm room..

I have been playing my music in the background just to cover the dog, but that's not *really* the solution I'm looking for.

I guess what irks me is: what gives new mgmt the right to change well-established living patterns (rules) without consideration for the residents who have to live here?

dog owners can (and should!) rent houses. its more fair for the dog and the people nearby. I cannot understand the logic of allowing noisy animals into close packed/shared apartment housing.

at any rate, I guess I have a new interview question to add to my list, when I go house/apt shopping. (sigh)

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One homeowner (I got this second (third?) hand) recorded the barking dog onto an endless loop tape, set it to play at 100+ dB, and went on vacation. As he was a homeowner, the police could do nothing. When the fellow returned, the dog was gone. Probably not an option for you.

while (1) {
play_mp3("dog_bark.mp3", 11);
sleep(rnd(0)*60);
};

you mean, like that?

wink.gif
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 52
Make a recording for the owner to witness the level of noise. Then ask that they put a bark collar on the offending dog. After a few jolts, they get the idea. I have a male breeder here that rules the yard. It started to get the neighbors upset so we collared him. As long as they keep the hair trimmed so that the posts are touching the skin, the dog gets a jolt from a watch battery. It has worked well.

I would think the site manager has the authority to make them get a bark collar.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy an effing huge dog to scare the noodles out of your neighbours dog.

Haha that shouldn't have made me chuckle that much.
tongue.gif

To the OP: On one hand, you can first ask the person to keep their dog quiet, but from then on you make yourself obvious that you're the one who will file future complaints about the dog.

But if you take...other...courses of keeping the dog quiet (or just other ways of keeping the noise from coming to your ears), then you may succeed and nobody else will be the wiser.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back