Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 (Wireless Noise Cancelling On-Ear Headphones)
Mar 31, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #211 of 374
I've been using the H8's for a couple of weeks now, with  HTC One Mini 2 & HTC One S phones (both with APTX), an MS Surface Pro, & a Dell PC, and an APTX Bluetooth transmitter taking output from my TV & hifi amp line out.

I initially found serious problems with stuttering and break-up when listening via the phones, but only when streaming high-res music from my NAS via the wireless network. The problem was barely noticeable with music stored on the phone, or lower bit-rate internet radio. I suspect that the high-res bit-rate network streaming and the APTX processor load together may be too much for the phones - although it's also possible that there is interference between the BT and the wireless network - they do share some frequencies.

I didn't have any problems with the two computers (lacking APTX). The APTX Bluetooth transmitter from my amplifier worked well, but I did notice that APTX is fairly sensitive to line-of-sight blocking & interference - for example, if I wore glasses with a metal frame under the H8, I'd get a momentary break-up as I adjusted them.

Compared with my Sony MDR SA-5000 and AKG 701's, I find the H8 sound very good - particularly the bass extension and quality - but not quite in the same class overall; and those are over-ear headphones. The H8 soundstage is more compressed - as someone mentioned, more like a cocktail lounge than a concert hall.

I find the ANC reduces the sound dynamics significantly - it seems to suppress some of the headphone output as well as external sounds, and there is a sense of pressure-change when it's switched in - but when I tried the ANC in a really noisy environment (near an industrial compressor) it was very effective. Therefore, I think the ANC is best used only when external noise makes listening without it unacceptable.

I haven't noticed any of the reported artefacts, such as feedback or distortion with or without ANC; but then I never listen at really high volume levels, as I find them painful - and as you get older, you tend to lose the higher frequencies anyway, and I value what's left of my hearing :wink: 

As first-generation high-res BT headphones, I think they're pretty good. I would expect the technology to improve as the bugs are sorted, and better codecs & processors are introduced (I notice the new top-end ZX2 Sony high-res Walkman is using their own  LDAC codec). 

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #212 of 374

Makes me wonder if Giogio has the right idea.. if something is painful / uncomfortable its usually the body's biological mechanism stimulating avoidance (i do a lot of research and im in the health field so I always think of cause-and-effect); of course arguments against that too, like muscle building can be painful.. 

In regards to the H8 in flight, I will let you know how the ANC fairs, going to be taking them on a trip this week.

I would rather say that the uncomfortable feeling is caused by a new unknown situation your body had to adapt to. The pressure kind of feels like when you are underwater and I think your body has to "learn" that it is in fact- not under water or in a situation with lower air pressure like in airplanes - even though it feels like it is. 

I dont think it is harmful though it is just a weird sensation at the beginning - again after some while you really dont feel it anymore.

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #213 of 374
I don't see how the ANC could be dangerous or damaging - it's cancelling out certain frequencies by producing matching but out-of-phase sound waves. The result should (in principle) be safer because of the reduced amplitude of the loudest sounds.. Odd sensations are probably due to the way some (low?) frequencies are cancelled more than others, causing a slightly unnatural effect. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #214 of 374

Makes me wonder if Giogio has the right idea.. if something is painful / uncomfortable its usually the body's biological mechanism stimulating avoidance (i do a lot of research and im in the health field so I always think of cause-and-effect); of course arguments against that too, like muscle building can be painful.. 

In regards to the H8 in flight, I will let you know how the ANC fairs, going to be taking them on a trip this week.

I've posted quite a bit about the H8 on planes I've taken over the past few months. You might want to look back.

I've never had any pressure problems with ANY NC cans. Some were more or less comfortable in terms of fit, but NC itself has never caused any additional discomfort. this goes back years. I think some people are just more sensitive than others to that type of thing.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #215 of 374
Can someone comment on the long term comfort iof these? Tried them in the store and they felt a bit tight. Does the clamp loosen? Also how does the sound compare to H6? Considering buying one or other so any advice is welcome.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #216 of 374
Can someone comment on the long term comfort iof these? Tried them in the store and they felt a bit tight. Does the clamp loosen? Also how does the sound compare to H6? Considering buying one or other so any advice is welcome.

I find them very comfortable for long listening - although my ears get quite warm. When I first got them, they felt a bit tight, so I gently eased them apart, which helped.

When you wear them for more than about five minutes, the memory foam warms up and settles on your ears much more, which makes them more comfortable and makes a better seal.

The size of head may make a difference, I don't know.

I haven't listened to the H6, but as a wired headphone, I think the H8 are prettty good - not audiophile quality, but very listenable. I'm finding the APTX technology rather harsh - you can hear the compression, although it seems to spread across the whole frequency range, so there's good deep bass, but with a grainy quality, and the treble is a bit sharp. APTX is also a bit fragile - sensitive to interference and obstruction (e.g. putting on metal frame glasses while listening often causes little glitches & dropouts until they're in place); this may be down to the H8 antenna, but it's a lot more stable with the standard BT codec, although the quality isn't so good (and anyway there's no way I know to choose which codec to use).

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #217 of 374
  I find them very comfortable for long listening - although my ears get quite warm. When I first got them, they felt a bit tight, so I gently eased them apart, which helped.

When you wear them for more than about five minutes, the memory foam warms up and settles on your ears much more, which makes them more comfortable and makes a better seal.

The size of head may make a difference, I don't know.

I haven't listened to the H6, but as a wired headphone, I think the H8 are prettty good - not audiophile quality, but very listenable. I'm finding the APTX technology rather harsh - you can hear the compression, although it seems to spread across the whole frequency range, so there's good deep bass, but with a grainy quality, and the treble is a bit sharp. APTX is also a bit fragile - sensitive to interference and obstruction (e.g. putting on metal frame glasses while listening often causes little glitches & dropouts until they're in place); this may be down to the H8 antenna, but it's a lot more stable with the standard BT codec, although the quality isn't so good (and anyway there's no way I know to choose which codec to use).

Thanks for the information, really helps. Swinging towards the H6 atm as I have quite sensitive ears. Happy listening : )

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #218 of 374

Thanks for the information, really helps. Swinging towards the H6 atm as I have quite sensitive ears. Happy listening : )

Unless you really need the cordless function I would choose the H6 at any time. It offers better comfort over longer listening sessions. The passive noise cancelation of the H6 is ok for most environments for me. Also you will not have to worry about charging the H8 while travelling. The H6 will also scale better when used with a good amplifier.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #219 of 374
  Unless you really need the cordless function I would choose the H6 at any time. It offers better comfort over longer listening sessions. The passive noise cancelation of the H6 is ok for most environments for me. Also you will not have to worry about charging the H8 while travelling. The H6 will also scale better when used with a good amplifier.

Disagree. The H6 is a terrible pairing with some devices (like the NW-ZX1), and does not do a good job of handling noise on things like planes. The H8 is far superior in pretty much every aspect in my experience. I would also take the VK1 (which I also own) over the H6 (which I also still own).

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #220 of 374
Disagree. The H6 is a terrible pairing with some devices (like the NW-ZX1), and does not do a good job of handling noise on things like planes. The H8 is far superior in pretty much every aspect in my experience. I would also take the VK1 (which I also own) over the H6 (which I also still own).
thank you about telling opinion I have in mind to buy a Sony zx1 but if don't handle very well b&o h6 I must turn around. For the moment I listen on my phone a Nokia 1520 and I think zx1 is beter than my phone. I'm quite happy with the H6 on the phone sow you don't think with zx1 I will feel a good difference?

And about the Bluetooth I can believe that Bluetooth connection is better than wired one. Maybe Sony zx2 with a compatible headset to feel indeed improve in Bluetooth mode ( LDAC profile) .

May 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #221 of 374
I got a set of the H8 today, they suck, and I am returning them to Apple tomorrow.

May 7, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #223 of 374
$500 for yet another bloated colored gimmick? No thank you...

May 12, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #224 of 374
  I got a set of the H8 today, they suck, and I am returning them to Apple tomorrow.

I felt the same. Much preferred the H6 in terms of comfort and sound quality. 

What were your complaints? I liked the comfort and SQ of the H6 and although I do like my M2's I am having some comfort issues with the top of my right ear resting on the driver and causing issues for any enjoyment past the 2 hour mark. Looking for other options and not a fan of the DefTech's.

May 13, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #225 of 374

What were your complaints? I liked the comfort and SQ of the H6 and although I do like my M2's I am having some comfort issues with the top of my right ear resting on the driver and causing issues for any enjoyment past the 2 hour mark. Looking for other options and not a fan of the DefTech's.

When I demo'ed the H8 it felt really tight on my head and not very comfortable at all. I felt a lot of pressure on my ears. The SQ also sounded less balanced than the H6 with more of a 'consumer' tuning to my ears. I also realised that even though it is great to be able to cancel out ambient noise whilst travelling, I was not willing to live with the compromise of a lesser quality sound because of the ANC technology. I also own the Beoplay A2 bluetooth speaker and lose connection every time I go into another room. It sounds great though but I now leave my phone next to it while moving around so their bluetooth is still a little shady IMO.

I use H6 for commuting which is fairly good at passive noise isolation when you are about 50% volume, which is my listening level. Happy with the choice, although I am patiently waiting for the Centrance HiFi Skyn which has a dac/amp within an iPhone case so this should hopefully be an amazing combination for on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back