Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Dec 23, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #586 of 2,875
Thanks for the reply! Do u feel there worth the 300 for someone who listens to mostly hip-hop?

Yeh the Khaled version seems to be tuned specifically for hip hop, contemporary pop and other bass orientated genres. If you've ever heard the beyerdynamic custom one pro its quite similar to that imo. The only thing I didn't like about them was the coiled cable is a bit too long for portable use but they use the same 3.5mm connection so replacement cables are easy to find.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #587 of 2,875
To be honest, I think that the current regular H6s suit hip hop and rap really well.  I listen to some Xzibit from time to time, and there's definitely enough bass (imho) to satisfy my taste.  Perhaps give the regular H6s a try and see if they do it for you?

Yeh the original h6 is a better all rounder I think, the Khaled versions relaxed top end doesn't suit all genres that well and neither does the special editions recessed sounding mid range.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #588 of 2,875

I'm trying my V-Moda cable for the first time as I type this. Wow. Feels good to have a "silly, obsessed with my hobby" purchase actually work out! 

For $12 shipped, this is an awesome upgrade for the H6. Like @raajgunnn said, everything is noticeably louder right away, but more importantly I'm also hearing a little more detail retrieval and layering overall. Listened to Subterranean Homesick Alien off Radiohead's OK Computer, and now Cowboy Junkies' 200 More Miles live CD, and there's so much atmosphere and detail all over the place. 

Even if it's just placebo effect - which I actually don't think it is - I'm happy having bought the cable.

Note that the cable was a little finicky seating in the H6's ear cup jack.

Note also that the cable doesn't have an inline mic/remote, but is braided fabric and comes in your choice of stylish fashion colors. 

Note also that I'm listening through a dac/amp, YMMV, caveat emptor, safe harbor, don't step on cracks in the sidewalk, etc. 

Can you please elaborate when you say that the cable is a little finicky seating in the H6?  Is it loose or tight?  Does it wobble?

Just curious as no one else has mentioned that the cable isn't a perfect fit for the H6 :)

P.S.: Merry Christmas guys!
P.P.S: V-Moda has a 20% off sale right now, use coupon 
KNIGHTED​

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #589 of 2,875

Can you please elaborate when you say that the cable is a little finicky seating in the H6?  Is it loose or tight?  Does it wobble?

Just curious as no one else has mentioned that the cable isn't a perfect fit for the H6 :)

P.S.: Merry Christmas guys!
P.P.S: V-Moda has a 20% off sale right now, use coupon 
KNIGHTED​

When I first inserted it, I only got sound out of one channel even though the cable felt properly inserted. I pushed a little more and twisted a little (no locking mechanism - I probably just twisted out of habit). The second channel came in, but the sound wasn't quite full. Futzed with it a little more and everything sounded right. Has been fine since, though I haven't removed/reinserted the cable. 

Merry merry to you, too!

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #590 of 2,875

When I first inserted it, I only got sound out of one channel even though the cable felt properly inserted. I pushed a little more and twisted a little (no locking mechanism - I probably just twisted out of habit). The second channel came in, but the sound wasn't quite full. Futzed with it a little more and everything sounded right. Has been fine since, though I haven't removed/reinserted the cable. 

Merry merry to you, too!

Sweet, thanks so much for the reply, well I can get the cable for $20 AUD shipped today due to the discount, so I might go for it and give it a try too.  I do notice that the imaging is a pinch (and I mean a tiny tiny tiny pinch) off with the stock cable, and I'm hoping the V-Moda cable will solve that and also bring up the level up as described, the headphones are even quieter than my Shure SRH-840 60 omh studio headphones.

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #591 of 2,875
Still don't understand why the H6 was never reviewed on Innerfidelity. The OPPO PM3 also shows a drop at 300hz? and that got a raving review.

Couldn't agree more!! I actually wrote to Tyll the other day to ask him to give the H6s another look. I hugely appreciate his work but honestly do find myself disagreeing with his opinion often, so I think that such opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Dec 25, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #592 of 2,875
Santa brought me a Magni 2 amp. Can't wait to try the H6 with it!

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #594 of 2,875
New home at bedside. They sound good with the Magni2, but may actually sound a little better with the Fiio Q1 - maybe DACs actually work? maybe b/c I'm using a kind of crappy rca cable right now? who knows ... So I may switch it up to the Q1 once I get an adapter for my tablet. But I'm lucky enough to fall asleep most nights listening to music on these things, nonetheless 
dt880smile.png

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #596 of 2,875
  I'm using the V Moda cable with the angled plug into the H6 and straight plug into the Mojo, make sure you push it all the way in.

+1 It's a finicky connection!

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #597 of 2,875
Hey guys, I bought the open Audeze EL-8 yesterday which I now have for home listening.  Here are some initial observations against the H6:

* The H6 actually has a slightly wider soundstage than the EL-8, why aren't more people talking about this headphone's freakishly amazing soundstage for a closed headphone!!! :)
* The mid bass of the H6s is definitely missing something which does lend the headphones to a more Hi-Fi sound, it's not at all a bad thing, but vocals do come through with more body on the EL-8s.  I find the H6s a lot of fun to listen to, while the EL-8s are super precise and detailed.  Both are just as enjoyable as one another but in different ways.

I will spend some time trying to equalise the H6s to be closer to the EL-8 and provide the EQ preset and details on the outcome.

My V-Moda cable has also shipped which I hope will improve the stereo center of these headphones a bit.  I think the individual cables on each driver for the EL-8 do actually lead to a very precise and solid center and extremely accurate (although not super wide) imaging.

I won't lie, the open EL-8 is the superior headphone, but there's no way I would take the EL-8 out (they're open, heavy, bigger and expensive!) with me and the closed variant imho was terrible and bettered by the H6 which I still firmly believe are the best portable headphones on the market.  I think a good runner up would be the Bower & Wilkins P7 as long as you give the treble a little boost.

I also compared the ATH-M50Xs to the H6 the other day, and their mids are so damn recessed.  The soundstage on the M50 is virtually inexistent too.  No real comparison, the H6 trumps it.

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #598 of 2,875
The closed EL-8 had nothing to recommend it when I put it up against the H6.  I hope the open version is better.  (It couldn`t be much worse, IMO).  

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #599 of 2,875
  The closed EL-8 had nothing to recommend it when I put it up against the H6.  I hope the open version is better.  (It couldn`t be much worse, IMO).  

Yeah, the open version is in a completely different league to the closed EL-8, it's so damn close to the LCD-2 (and apparently also the LCD-X which I haven't heard).  I hated the closed EL-8 but absolutely fell in love (and am in love) with the open edition.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #600 of 2,875
Hey guys, here's the EQ curve I settled on in the end (using Boom 2).  You really do need that low mid boost to bring the body back, but the H6s just sound awesome with this EQ.  I love my open EL-8s and they do have a bit more detail, but the H6 is just as enjoyable! :)

After hearing the EL-8s, I also decided to boost the very upper treble octave to get a similar shimmer, and it does indeed help a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back