Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Dec 16, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #557 of 2,875
  Comes with 4, 2 do but not tried them yet, just using the standard cables without inline controls. Also just ordered the V Moda cable to try.

Would you kindly let us know your experiences with each of the 3 cables and provide any comparisons you can?  That would be really awesome :)

A2A where I tried and bought my H6 were actually using the V-Moda cable on their demo pair, and they were heavily unbalanced between left and right drivers, so not sure if that cable was faulty.

So far (touch wood) my B&O cable is working well.  I've had these babies on my head since I bought them and have never felt discomfort.  The sound is still blowing my mind and I find myself listening to them much more than any speakers in my house.

If everything goes to plan, I hope to check out some higher end open backs and compare them to them H6s on Friday when I go back to A2A to feed my addiction :)

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #558 of 2,875

Would you kindly let us know your experiences with each of the 3 cables and provide any comparisons you can?  That would be really awesome :)

A2A where I tried and bought my H6 were actually using the V-Moda cable on their demo pair, and they were heavily unbalanced between left and right drivers, so not sure if that cable was faulty.

So far (touch wood) my B&O cable is working well.  I've had these babies on my head since I bought them and have never felt discomfort.  The sound is still blowing my mind and I find myself listening to them much more than any speakers in my house.

If everything goes to plan, I hope to check out some higher end open backs and compare them to them H6s on Friday when I go back to A2A to feed my addiction :)

It's really easy not to seat the cable correctly, i'm feeling 3 clicks before the Oppo cable is fully in

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #559 of 2,875
Ok played with the inline mic supplied cable a bit more, if you push it in slowly it has 8 clicks !!!!! Working ok for the time being, still feel the Oppo cable gives more body, sounds a bit thinner with the stock cable but no imbalance now.

The V Moda cable is coming from Canada to UK by standard post so will be a while before I can post my impressions.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #560 of 2,875
  Ok played with the inline mic supplied cable a bit more, if you push it in slowly it has 8 clicks !!!!! Working ok for the time being, still feel the Oppo cable gives more body, sounds a bit thinner with the stock cable but no imbalance now.

The V Moda cable is coming from Canada to UK by standard post so will be a while before I can post my impressions.

Awesome stuff, thanks so much!

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #561 of 2,875
Ok so 3 hours of testing this morning and I can confirm the imbalance was not having the B&O cable located in the socket properly.....however the Oppo cable is MUCH better. H6 sounds thin and lacks low end with the supplied cable, vocals are a bit harsh too. The Oppo cable gives them weight and clarity, smooth & lush sounding so I would highly recommend ditching the stock cable.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #562 of 2,875
This is really cool for soundstage:

https://open.spotify.com/user/lucaat/playlist/4Vvo3Kx1p4mubEzWWzqE7w

Interesting about the cable, don't have an oppo cable, but can't replicate the effect with other cables, focal and v-moda (boom mic) cable make no difference.

I do believe the bass opened up after burn in though, only got them monday.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #563 of 2,875
Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the cable comparisons imattersuk.

Is anyone amping the H6s?  If so, can you mention which amp you've tried and whether or not it made an improvement to sound?

I think that these will get even better (if that's possible) with amplification due to the fact they are more difficult to drive than most closed headphones I've tried.  They definitely sound much better through my MacBook Pro than they do through my phone, that's for sure

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #564 of 2,875
  Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the cable comparisons imattersuk.

Is anyone amping the H6s?  If so, can you mention which amp you've tried and whether or not it made an improvement to sound?

I think that these will get even better (if that's possible) with amplification due to the fact they are more difficult to drive than most closed headphones I've tried.  They definitely sound much better through my MacBook Pro than they do through my phone, that's for sure

Chord Mojo, not even worth trying anything else, it wipes out all the competition up to about £1500 and only costs £399 in UK. Great synergy between H6's and Mojo, stunning combo.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #566 of 2,875

I posted earlier (couple weeks ago) about trying the V Moda Audio-Only cable. I apologize for being a bad head-fier! To my ears, it made a BIG difference. In just a few seconds, I noticed that the sound was louder with the V Moda cable. Upon listening further, the sound was a lot fuller too. The stock cables made highs in some songs sound a little harsh and sibilant (Catch Hell Blues by The White Stripes for eg.), but this was gone with the V Moda cable. Also, the bass in some electronic tracks (Ghosts n Stuff by Deadmau5 for eg.) and the newer rap tracks (Mind Control by Big Krit, AMilli by Lil Wayne for eg.) is definitely more present with the V Moda cable.

Additionally, my girl friend now has the PM-3 (we fought over which one to get as a "common pair", couldn't decide and ended up getting both!), and I feel the V Moda cable sounds better than the PM-3 cable; not by much but enough to make a difference. It's almost like the sound has more timbre and is very noticeable in blues and acoustic tracks (it really popped in Gary Clark Jr's version of Catfish Blues and the unplugged version of Tears in Heaven).

@Blinxat - See if you can get a pair of the V Moda Audio Only cable and if that works better for you. The black cable is a lengthier version to suit a desktop setup if you need. And thank you for the wonderful playlists!

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #567 of 2,875
  Congrats - you definitely made the right choice.  I keep putting mine up against more expensive closed headphones and it keeps demolishing them.  The Audeze EL-8 closed was not remotely close, and is stupidly heavy.  The Oppo PM-3 is lighter with a nice fit but the sound was disappointing in general and no match at all for the H6.  The only closed phones I have tried which compare on sound are the Beyer/AK AKT5p, which is very large, does not fold and does not have a removable cable; and the Beyer 1770pro which is also very large and also does not fold.  And while I would describe both as excellent, neither of them inspire me to replace my H6.  

The H6 really is a bizarrely good closed headphone.   

I haven`t had any imbalance issues with either of the H6 I`ve owned, btw . . .   

Your name made me chuckle...I work on Dopamine and its role in reward, and yours was the first name I tried to get on Head-Fi, but alas! The H6, as I can see, is definitely keeping all our dopamine levels high :)

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #568 of 2,875
  Your name made me chuckle...I work on Dopamine and its role in reward, and yours was the first name I tried to get on Head-Fi, but alas! The H6, as I can see, is definitely keeping all our dopamine levels high :)

I saw a great t-shirt in Thailand :

`Dopamine and Serotonin: techinically, the only 2 things you enjoy`

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #569 of 2,875
I ordered a v moda audio only cable last night, to try in place of the stock h6 cable

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #570 of 2,875
Disclaimer: This is just my opnion

Let me just say that after listening to various high end headphones by companies like Audeze, Audioquest, Sennheiser, Hifiman, AKG, Mr Speakers and ENIGMAcoustics, the H6 holds up extremely well and surpasses most of the headphones I heard.

Sennheiser HD800 / AKG K812: The lower treble on both of these headphones is harsh and unnecessarily upfront. Their soundstage really doesn't sound much wider than the H6 at all to my ears.  In fact, I was surprised with them, I expected to be blown away by the soundstage but simply wasn't.  I guess the H6 is in the ballpark.

Audioquest Nighthawk  Extremely muffled and horrible sound.  I honestly can't understand these headphones and how one could enjoy them.

ENIGMAcoustics Dharma: These are fascinating but I can't help but feel that the tweeter makes the treble a bit unnatural sounding.  I find the upper treble a bit too forward and harsh.

Mr Speakers Ether: I actually liked this a lot, but preferred the open Audeze EL-8 (see below)

HiFiMAN HE-560: Mids and soundstage leave a lot to be desired, highs are not as crisp as I would like them to be.

Audeze EL-8 (closed): Recessed mids and very little bass in comparison to the H6,. I prefer the H6 a lot more.

Audeze EL-8 (open) & LCD-2: Both of these headphones are excellent but have two major problems in comparison to the H6

* Comfort: These are extremely heavy and clamp tightly.  They hurt my head after a short time.
* Bass Presence: This seems to be a general limitation of open back design, you simply don't get the same depth or presence in the bass region, particularly in the sub bass.

I am considering buying the EL-8 open headphones if I can find a way to adjust them for my huge head.  The main area where they beat the H6 is mid bass which is a bit nicer on the EL-8 and the treble is even a little more crisp too.  Keep in mind that they are twice the price, very heavy and open back though.

I also spent some time A/Bing the H6s directly through my MBP and through a Schiit D/A converter and Burson headphone amplifier (worth around $1000 AU together).  I tried my best to hear the difference but I simply can't.  As such, I think that simply running these headphones out of a good audio card provides sufficient power to drive them to their best performance.  This same point goes for the EL-8s.

Once again, these are my own impressions and I do my absolute best to judge things for myself instead of getting caught up in any sort of hype.  Of course YMMV, but overall, this has reinforced that the H6 is one spectacular headphone that more people should be trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back