Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
Oct 15, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #466 of 2,875
Guys..I know this is the H6 thread, but B&O just introduced the H7. Supposedly, it's the same signature as the H6, but with wireless tech that's already in the H8. And it's just $50 more. Just looking at it, it looks too good to be true. Anybody has more insight into this? Here's the page from B&O http://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplayh7#usp

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #467 of 2,875
Well, I sure hope that they have improved their standard of wireless as I have the A8 Bluetooth speaker and have to place my device right next to it or the signal drops out. You just have to have a quick look at the H8 thread here to see that this sucked as well - constant drop outs, didn't work well with iDevices etc. Have B&O really improved things to match competitors? Time will tell and if so I might be tempted as I do love the H6, but likely they have just repackaged the parts into another over-priced headphone.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #469 of 2,875
I have been reviewing audio products for a few years but did not join Head-Fi.org because I felt that I was not in league with the rest of the members in describing or analysing the cans. But I finally joined yesterday and hope to share my less-technical opinions.

I reviewed the B&O H6 over a year ago thanks to the local PR agency who engages with bloggers and reviewers. I recalled the day I received the Beoplay H6 review unit and opened up the retail box. The first time I picked up the headphones, it gave me an impression of a well-made quality product. The headphones feel relatively lightweight compared to other expensive headphones, because there was no unnecessary beefing. The only thing that feels cheap was the in-line music control buttons (which only works with iOS devices).

I like the huge ear cups that completely covers my ears. The headband is comfortable with the right tension. Noise isolation is pretty good, as the ear cushions effectively muffs the ambient noise to let you enjoy the music.

Sound-wise, the Beoplay H6 delivers punchy subtle low bass, brilliantly detailed treble, relatively flat upper bass and thin mids. The soundstaging is spacious, giving sufficient room to enjoy the details to the after tones and reverbs. This makes the Beoplay H6 great for orchestral, jazz, instrumental music, while modern pop-rock genres feels less exciting.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #470 of 2,875
Guys..I know this is the H6 thread, but B&O just introduced the H7. Supposedly, it's the same signature as the H6, but with wireless tech that's already in the H8. And it's just $50 more. Just looking at it, it looks too good to be true. Anybody has more insight into this? Here's the page from B&O http://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplayh7#usp

Im also very interested in the H6 and H7. no reviews on H7 yet. I emailed B&O about some H7 specifics & got a semi-informative response. Ill probably have to wait for reviews or if my local Las Vegas Apple store gets them in.

Heres my question to them, and their response:

I am very interested in H6 and H7 headphones. Other than the H7 being wireless, is there any differences component or sound-wise? I just auditioned the H6 and was very impressed, but may want the wireless version if everything else is the same. Also, i cant see in the photos, in wired mode does the H7 have dual wire plug ins like the H6? would the two headphones sound the same if used wired?

Dear James,

Both Headphones have their own particular characteristics. It is a matter of personal preference when you hear both speakers in the headphones. They do carry different drivers and ear cups from one another being the H6 or the H7 headphones. So they are completely different headphones even though they may look the same.

I would suggest, if you can, going into a store and trying them both.

Kind regards,
Ayrton Campos | Product Support 

Completely different is what im taking away from his response... that could be good, still . Im sure they have the B&O sound signature. I wouldnt mind a little better bass response, but really need great mids and smooth highs due to my sensitive ears and chronic tinnitus.

I read somewhere else (not sure which forum) , someone stating they had bought a pair & the mids/highs were not as good as H6. that would be disappointing, especially in wired mode. I could understand a loss of upper end fidelity in wireless mode.

Time will tell

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #471 of 2,875
A few weeks more with my H6s, and I'm becoming a believer in burn-in. The sound has definitely opened up a little. And I like 'em even more. Did a quick A/B with my PSBs the other day, and there's no way I'd go back. 

I'm using them 100% of the time direct from my MacBook Air at work, and mainly via Spotify (320k) at that. Thinking I should try an amp, though my long-standing opinion that headphone amps are fooey keeps getting in the way :wink: 

There's a guy on craigslist near me selling a Nuforce Icon HDP real cheap. Tempted to pull the trigger on that. Also considering a Geekout (400 or 1000) to pull double duty for home use. And the eBay obsessive in me has developed a fascination with the seemingly endless array of Chinese DAC/AMPS available for under $150. I think maybe I'm more interested in web surfing than actually buying anything ... 

Anyway, liking these more and more. I got the natural leather version, and I'm getting compliments on the look from workmates. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #472 of 2,875
Im also very interested in the H6 and H7. no reviews on H7 yet. I emailed B&O about some H7 specifics & got a semi-informative response. Ill probably have to wait for reviews or if my local Las Vegas Apple store gets them in.

Heres my question to them, and their response:

[COLOR=0000FF]I am very interested in H6 and H7 headphones. Other than the H7 being wireless, is there any differences component or sound-wise? I just auditioned the H6 and was very impressed, but may want the wireless version if everything else is the same. Also, i cant see in the photos, in wired mode does the H7 have dual wire plug ins like the H6? would the two headphones sound the same if used wired?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Dear James,[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]Both Headphones have their own particular characteristics. It is a matter of personal preference when you hear both speakers in the headphones. They do carry different drivers and ear cups from one another being the H6 or the H7 headphones. So they are completely different headphones even though they may look the same.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]I would suggest, if you can, going into a store and trying them both.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]Kind regards,

Ayrton Campos | Product Support 
[/COLOR]

Completely different is what im taking away from his response... that could be good, still . Im sure they have the B&O sound signature. I wouldnt mind a little better bass response, but really need great mids and smooth highs due to my sensitive ears and chronic tinnitus.

I read somewhere else (not sure which forum) , someone stating they had bought a pair & the mids/highs were not as good as H6. that would be disappointing, especially in wired mode. I could understand a loss of upper end fidelity in wireless mode.

Time will tell

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've read moved reports coming in myself regarding the H7. Personally, I would've loved it if they kept the exact same sound signature as the H6 but that's usually not how it works is it? :) nonetheless,for me the loss in treble sparkle would be a deal breaker. Also, I hope they've rectified the many Bluetooth connectivity issues the h8 suffers from. Again, there have been mixed reports on that front as well.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #473 of 2,875
In short: The H7 definitely has more bass and a darker tuning than H6. H6 is close to neutral to my ears but the H7 has more impact and is more punchy. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #474 of 2,875
Any of you tried the Oppo HA-2 with the H6? 

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #475 of 2,875
  Any of you tried the Oppo HA-2 with the H6? 

I did very briefly in the B&O store, when I tried the H6 so take this with a grain of salt. To my ears, it made everything brighter; did more to the mids and the top end than to the bass. I've heard that the Fiio E11k (maybe saw it in this thread?) does wonders to the already good SQ of the H6.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #476 of 2,875
Picked up a Fiio E10K and Q1, both DAC/AMPs, to try with the H6. Spent an hour or so with the E10K yesterday, and less than that with the Q1 today. Definitely enjoying the sound of the H6 amplified. Unsure yet how much the DAC adds to the party, on either unit, and unsure of the real-world SQ differences between the two units. But keeping Bass Boost OFF and Gain on LOW opens the H6 sound up a little more without really changing the signature. Good stuff. 

For me, the decision will be whether or not the sound improves enough to warrant the money and inconvenience involved in keeping/using one of the units. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #477 of 2,875
  A few weeks more with my H6s, and I'm becoming a believer in burn-in. The sound has definitely opened up a little. And I like 'em even more. Did a quick A/B with my PSBs the other day, and there's no way I'd go back. 

I'm using them 100% of the time direct from my MacBook Air at work, and mainly via Spotify (320k) at that. Thinking I should try an amp, though my long-standing opinion that headphone amps are fooey keeps getting in the way :wink: 

I'm using an iFi iCAN nano with my Sennheiser HD 600 connected to a MacBook Pro. But with the H6 I found myself connecting it directly to the MBP, rather than through the amp. The MacBook has a terrific DAC and enough power for the H6. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #478 of 2,875

I'm using an iFi iCAN nano with my Sennheiser HD 600 connected to a MacBook Pro. But with the H6 I found myself connecting it directly to the MBP, rather than through the amp. The MacBook has a terrific DAC and enough power for the H6. 

How long have you had your H6? I ask b/c others have told me they definitely sound better after some burn-in. Mine are still pretty new, and I'm finding that they do sound better — bigger and fuller without being boomy or at overly-loud volumes — with the DAC/AMP in the chain. I previously tried a few DAC/AMPs with other cans and didn't hear enough of a difference to feel it worth the hassle/money. But so far with the H6 it does make a noticeable difference to me. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #479 of 2,875

How long have you had your H6? I ask b/c others have told me they definitely sound better after some burn-in. Mine are still pretty new, and I'm finding that they do sound better — bigger and fuller without being boomy or at overly-loud volumes — with the DAC/AMP in the chain. I previously tried a few DAC/AMPs with other cans and didn't hear enough of a difference to feel it worth the hassle/money. But so far with the H6 it does make a noticeable difference to me. 

It might have to do with burn-in and definitely also convenience in my case. I've had the H6 for about a year now and remember using the amp at first and then deciding to leave the amp at home (I'm using them at work mainly). The amp definitely added more volume and bass to the sound, but after burn-in the H6 opened up enough for me to appreciate it's natural sound signature. And, to be honest, i'm appreciating a slightly subtler bass while i'm working. :wink: That said, I'm still amazed how good it sounds, connected directly to my MacBook Pro. All of my previous work headphones (p5, t51i & Momentum) needed the amp. B&O must have tuned sound and sensitivity of the H6 to this kind of combination.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #480 of 2,875
It might have to do with burn-in and definitely also convenience in my case. I've had the H6 for about a year now and remember using the amp at first and then deciding to leave the amp at home (I'm using them at work mainly). The amp definitely added more volume and bass to the sound, but after burn-in the H6 opened up enough for me to appreciate it's natural sound signature. And, to be honest, i'm appreciating a slightly subtler bass while i'm working. :wink: That said, I'm still amazed how good it sounds, connected directly to my MacBook Pro. Both of my previous work headphones (t51i & Momentum) needed the amp. B&O must have tuned sound and sensitivity of the H6 to this kind of combination.

Totally agreed all the way around. I tried the bass boost on the two amps I'm trying out, and I much prefer the H6 without it. And similarly, they stay at work (I use IEMs while commuting). Maybe I should just pay myself to burn them in instead of spending on an amp :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back