Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 (2nd Generation) vs. Sennheiser HD 598 Cs - A Newer & MORE POWERFUL Sith Lord Emerges??
Dec 3, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #181 of 432
  From what I remember SE are source dependent so they can sound super dull and neutral, but with some good amp and colored soundcard they can be bassy. The HD598CS are bassy regardless of source. It's interesting you said SE are more bassy then closed edition. CS are bassy enough for me :)

I tested them both with the same cable and amp, I've just detached the cable from the headphones and switched pair. I can't understand, my Cs REALLy lack of bass, it's like it isn't even there.

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #182 of 432
  I tested them both with the same cable and amp, I've just detached the cable from the headphones and switched pair. I can't understand, my Cs REALLy lack of bass, it's like it isn't even there.

Which exact cable are you using? Stock or other cable? Please specify. 

It COULD also be in how you're wearing them. Some people on here have told me that if you don't have headphones (in general) on snuggly that the bass may get hampered by that. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #183 of 432

It COULD also be in how you're wearing them. Some people on here have told me that if you don't have headphones (in general) on snuggly that the bass may get hampered by that. 

Correct way to wear them mentioned here https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5g29m8/sennheiser_hd598cs_update/?ref=search_posts

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #184 of 432
I just bought the 1st Rage album Hybrid SACD that got released a few mos ago and listened to it on the Cs. It sounds INCREDIBLE on these! The quality of this album trumps both the original 1992 CD & even the "XX - 20th Anniversary Edition" (which I found to be better than the original CD, but 8 out of the 10 studio tracks were TOO bassy) from 2012 as well. I guess the new Hi-Res version of the album didn't rate well at all (see 1st post, and below there are some other positive reviews for the Hybrid SACD), so I wouldn't advise buying that either. 

I listened to the album like twice the first night I got it! lol Couldn't recommend it and the Cs more! I simply refuse to agree with any and all of the negative reviews I've read about the Cs both here on Head-Fi and elsewhere. These headphones delivered every note and nuance that got thrown at it by the SACD without any issues.

And I'm tired of everyone putting them down by saying they don't sound as good as open-backs. They're NOT open-backs, so stop comparing them! Everyone knows the better quality open-back headphones (like Senn HD 600 and above, the AKG K7XX and Q7XX series, etc) probably will sound better than these, but they also cost more too! So I don't see any point in constantly comparing the two. Compared to the open 598, some even think it still outdoes them even!

Anyway, if interested, you can buy the 1st Rage Hybrid SACD here, and also the 2nd Rage album (Evil Empire) is being released in the same format on Dec. 16th. I've already pre-ordered it on Amazon. Can't wait to hear it! 

Note: I used Foobar to rip the SACD to digital for storage & playback on my phone. It also required this Super Audio CD Decoder plugin as well as this Foobar Encoder Pack plugin to make it work. All 3 downloads were free. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #185 of 432
I would also love to be able to make comparisons with my incredible IE800, even with the sound of HD600, Kxx, and others wouldn't be fair, they would be overwhelmed by the quality sound of the IE800.

Who gives negative opinions to the Cs that point me a closed below 100$ better than the HD598Cs. Most of these people can't know when a sound is good or not.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #186 of 432
Initially I've been testing them on my laptop, which I thought had a decent dac. Boy I was wrong the moment I started using them with my smartphone (wolfson chip) I realized what I was missing. The saoundstage became so wide to a level almost unbelievable in closed headphones. Same with separation, though not perfect, miles ahead to what I was experiencing on laptop. The sound on my smartphone is now so much fuller and better balanced I couldn't believe I'm using same headphones. I sustain my initial thoughts regarding somewhat slightly recessed mids, which at this point I'm almost sure are lower end mids. But that doesn't change the fact these are no doubt high-end entry level cans, totally worth 200-300$. For 99$ these were a steal! I also believe they opened up after 15hrs+ of listening.

I think sennheiser should be more informative about their products. Although these are 23ohms and versatile for home use as well as tablets and smartphones, they still very much require at least a decent dac/sound card, with prefference to something even better. Plugged to PCs with crappy default motherboard audio, they will not show their true colors. My guess is this is where most negative comments come from + bassheads.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #187 of 432
  Initially I've been testing them on my laptop, which I thought had a decent dac. Boy I was wrong the moment I started using them with my smartphone (wolfson chip) I realized what I was missing. The saoundstage became so wide to a level almost unbelievable in closed headphones. Same with separation, though not perfect, miles ahead to what I was experiencing on laptop. The sound on my smartphone is now so much fuller and better balanced I couldn't believe I'm using same headphones. I sustain my initial thoughts regarding somewhat slightly recessed mids, which at this point I'm almost sure are lower end mids. But that doesn't change the fact these are no doubt high-end entry level cans, totally worth 200-300$. For 99$ these were a steal!

I think sennheiser should be more informative about their products. Although these are 23ohms and versatile for home use as well as tablets and smartphones, they still very much require at least a decent dac/sound card, with prefference to something even better. Plugged to PCs with ****ty default motherboard audio, they will not show their true colors. My guess is this is where most negative comments come from + basshead

Yeah most smartphones and PCs/laptops are given the cheapest audio there is, because most ppl don't really think about that stuff the way we do. lol 

I always advise ppl with regards to headphones.......even when the impedance is low/sensitivity is high, a good amp/DAC (or amp if they already have a premium DAC) is ALWAYS gonna give you more to enjoy with regards to what you're listening to. Especially when it comes to headphones vs. IEMs/earphones. 

I'm glad the Cs' have grown on you even more than when you first listened to them. Yeah, we all really LUCKED OUT on that Black Friday deal! lol

You're prob right Good............the only way I would ever think these were inferior headphones is if my source quality was lower than what I'm using now (Poweramp Alpha on phone to play songs, Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and Cs). Great point made!

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #188 of 432
  I just bought the 1st Rage album Hybrid SACD that got released a few mos ago and listened to it on the Cs. It sounds INCREDIBLE on these! The quality of this album trumps both the original 1992 CD & even the "XX - 20th Anniversary Edition" (which I found to be better than the original CD, but 8 out of the 10 studio tracks were TOO bassy) from 2012 as well. I guess the new Hi-Res version of the album didn't rate well at all (see 1st post, and below there are some other positive reviews for the Hybrid SACD), so I wouldn't advise buying that either. 

I listened to the album like twice the first night I got it! lol Couldn't recommend it and the Cs more! I simply refuse to agree with any and all of the negative reviews I've read about the Cs both here on Head-Fi and elsewhere. These headphones delivered every note and nuance that got thrown at it by the SACD without any issues.

And I'm tired of everyone putting them down by saying they don't sound as good as open-backs. They're NOT open-backs, so stop comparing them! Everyone knows the better quality open-back headphones (like Senn HD 600 and above, the AKG K7XX and Q7XX series, etc) probably will sound better than these, but they also cost more too! So I don't see any point in constantly comparing the two. Compared to the open 598, some even think it still outdoes them even!

Anyway, if interested, you can buy the 1st Rage Hybrid SACD here, and also the 2nd Rage album (Evil Empire) is being released in the same format on Dec. 16th. I've already pre-ordered it on Amazon. Can't wait to hear it! 

Note: I used Foobar to rip the SACD to digital for storage & playback on my phone. It also required this Super Audio CD Decoder plugin as well as this Foobar Encoder Pack plugin to make it work. All 3 downloads were free. 

Hey there - Coming from one of the other 589Cs threads (the one just titled: Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back). I've been battling with them all weekend; trying to find enough merit to keep them. I ultimately have decided to return them. All my other closed back headphones sound better to me (I prefer a flat or slightly V-shaped sig. These are more frown face eq'd, with a larger dip in the treble). Are you super treble sensitive? - Because when I listen to very spacious music with reverb, the reverb tails/late reflections are hardly audible, and very unclear. When I test and compare headphones, I usually use Several tunes: Michael Jackson "Beat It" & "P.Y.T" (Special Edition) , Fleetwood Mac "Gypsy", Lara Fabian "Adagio", Daft Punk (multiple songs from R.A.M.) for example. -  I read your review, and you slam the M50x (Which are to the majority of listeners out there, great all-rounders). In my comparing, the only things the 598Cs do subjectively better than the M50x is the tighter/cleaner bass, and the imaging detail. To me M50x has a much wider sound-stage, more perceived dynamics, and clearer (if notched) treble. - I do think what people hear varies greatly from individual to individual, but your review made me think it could be more too it than that. - In contrast, many people have a very similar negative consensus, and slam these cans in area's that you have praised.

I wish I could be as positive and glowing about these headphones, but compared to my other closed-back headphones (ATH M50x/M40x, MDR-1A, Shure SRH-840, Sony MDR-V6) these perform very poorly. Sound signature wise, they have more in common with Skullcandy over-ear headphones like the Hesh/Crusher, than the cans I listed. I've demoed a dozen more, but can only compare with what I'm in possession of. Out of all of them, the M40x's have the best sound for me (flat with just a slight boost on the treble and bass ends).

I think if you put a group of people together, to do a side by side comparison of the M40X & 598Cs, the majority of listeners, over 80%,  would chose the M40x (or even the M50x, for that matter), no question. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #189 of 432
This is more or less how I hear the 598Cs. I made a crude but fairly accurate graph in ms paint, with one continuous swipe of the brush.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #190 of 432

Hey there - Coming from one of the other 589Cs threads (the one just titled: Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back). I've been battling with them all weekend; trying to find enough merit to keep them. I ultimately have decided to return them. All my other closed back headphones sound better to me (I prefer a flat or slightly V-shaped sig. These are more frown face eq'd, with a larger dip in the treble). Are you super treble sensitive? - Because when I listen to very spacious music with reverb, the reverb tails/late reflections are hardly audible, and very unclear. When I test and compare headphones, I usually use Several tunes: Michael Jackson "Beat It" & "P.Y.T" (Special Edition) , Fleetwood Mac "Gypsy", Lara Fabian "Adagio", Daft Punk (multiple songs from R.A.M.) for example. -  I read your review, and you slam the M50x (Which are to the majority of listeners out there, great all-rounders). In my comparing, the only things the 598Cs do subjectively better than the M50x is the tighter/cleaner bass, and the imaging detail. To me M50x has a much wider sound-stage, more perceived dynamics, and clearer (if notched) treble. - I do think what people hear varies greatly from individual to individual, but your review made me think it could be more too it than that. - In contrast, many people have a very similar negative consensus, and slam these cans in area's that you have praised.

I wish I could be as positive and glowing about these headphones, but compared to my other closed-back headphones (ATH M50x/M40x, MDR-1A, Shure SRH-840, Sony MDR-V6) these perform very poorly. Sound signature wise, they have more in common with Skullcandy over-ear headphones like the Hesh/Crusher, than the cans I listed. I've demoed a dozen more, but can only compare with what I'm in possession of. Out of all of them, the M40x's have the best sound for me (flat with just a slight boost on the treble and bass ends).

I think if you put a group of people together, to do a side by side comparison of the M40X & 598Cs, the majority of listeners, over 80%,  would chose the M40x (or even the M50x, for that matter), no question. 

Mix, 

Yes, I think I may have seen your review in that other thread as well. 

The trend I've noticed is that those who do not care much for the Cs tend to also really love the M50X. I owned the M50X for weeks before I eventually returned that one, and still to this day it was the worst pair of headphones I've ever tried. I had the original open-back 598 before it, and the EXCEPTIONAL AKG K550 right after it. Those 2 headphones wiped the floor with the M50X, to me anyway. And it seems like every one I've tried thereafter was at least better in the soundstage dept. Listening to music on the M50X for me equated to listening to music inside a tiny air tight bubble that someone had placed around my head. I just wasn't havin' it, so they didn't last long. If I recall, they also made a lot of "creaking" sounds too, which others (though not all) have also mentioned. They also were too bassy as well. I simply don't understand why so many praise them, but I guess they have their own group of ppl who don't like them either. lol (Note: The M50 & M50X have the same sound from what I've read of the two. The M50X just has a detachable cable.) 

I do like the songs you chose though. I use Fleetwood Mac's "Crystal" from the '75 "white" FM album in Hi-Res to judge clarity on headphones. During the chorus, esp the first one, the parts in between when Stevie & Lindsay aren't singing, there's a sweet "chimey" acoustic guitar part that I use to determine if the headphones are not only clear, but if they have a good upper end (some call it upper end "sparkle" I guess), then that part comes through really nicely. On both the 2nd Gen H6 and my Cs, I have had to turn the bass down a bit to hear them, but the bass is still pretty subtle (on both H6 and Cs) and not as strong as heard on other headphones, like my old Sony MDR-1A or even Beats headphones. I too have Michael Jackson's Thriller though in DSD.....and it is fantastic! (Use 15% off coupon code on left if buying.)  Couldn't recommend that one more. Two reviewers who both had the Hi-Res version say the DSD one even outdoes that one. (see reviews in link; mine is the one dated 5/15/2015) I also have "Get Lucky" from that Daft Punk R.A.M. album in Hi-Res as well. Sounds awesome! 

So I guess, like with much pretty ANYTHING lol, there's always going to be a difference of opinion. Some ppl say the Cs is too bassy, others say it's not bassy enough. Some say it's better than the 598 and/or 598 SE, some don't. I appreciate your post though. Others who read this and love the M50 or M50X may want to reconsider buying these then from what I can see. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #191 of 432
I finally recieved My pair today(all the way to Lebanon).
I'm coming from LG's quadbeat 3 earphones that came with my G4 which I used to listen to my 598 cs(without an external dac or amp).Btw,I'm not an audiophile(yet),this should be my first step into that world.

First thing I noticed is how premium these headphones are!Amazing! They fit very nicely and feel amazing,3 hours straight of listening and no discomfort whatsoever compared to my previous earphones that I couldn't stand for more than an hour!
The sound:at first all I felt was that it was cleaner and a bit more in detail.But holy **** how gradually it became more clearer and crispier and wider! high notes dont't hurt my ears anymore and female vocals are just so angelic.I love the drum kicks on them. I don't understand the reviews about it lacking bass,it's there and very clean.
When I switched back to the quadbeats,I noticed how awfully packed the instruments are on them,Blehh.
Also,I can finally notice the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps!

That was from 3 hours of listening,should I expect better quality tomorrow?
And btw, I tweaked in viper4android, clarity and bass,without these the sound is a bit muddier(using poweramp as player).

I don't think that my review can help much,but it might for whoever is skeptical about buying these as their first headphones.

Thank you Rockstar2005 and to everyone that gave these a good review and made me buy it!
I will update later if I notice more improvements.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #192 of 432
I finally recieved My pair today(all the way to Lebanon).
I'm coming from LG's quadbeat 3 earphones that came with my G4 which I used to listen to my 598 cs(without an external dac or amp).Btw,I'm not an audiophile(yet),this should be my first step into that world.

First thing I noticed is how premium these headphones are!Amazing! They fit very nicely and feel amazing,3 hours straight of listening and no discomfort whatsoever compared to my previous earphones that I couldn't stand for more than an hour!
The sound:at first all I felt was that it was cleaner and a bit more in detail.But holy **** how gradually it became more clearer and crispier and wider! high notes dont't hurt my ears anymore and female vocals are just so angelic.I love the drum kicks on them. I don't understand the reviews about it lacking bass,it's there and very clean.
When I switched back to the quadbeats,I noticed how awfully packed the instruments are on them,Blehh.
Also,I can finally notice the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps!

That was from 3 hours of listening,should I expect better quality tomorrow?
And btw, I tweaked in viper4android, clarity and bass,without these the sound is a bit muddier(using poweramp as player).

I don't think that my review can help much,but it might for whoever is skeptical about buying these as their first headphones.

Thank you Rockstar2005 and to everyone that gave these a good review and made me buy it!
I will update later if I notice more improvements.

Hey Doomski, 

You're very welcome! I'm happy that anyone who reads my reviews finds them helpful or useful. And I did think your review was very good. I'm not really an audiophile either. I just tell ppl I'm Audiophile Lite. lol

Yes, the comfort is ridiculous on these. I wore mine for at least 3 hours last night, and they were great! Even fell asleep (briefly) with them on again. lol

I created a "Bass Light" EQ on not regular Poweramp but Poweramp Alpha 704 which is basically just "Rock" with the bass EQ bands turned down a bit. I am seriously considering just leaving that as my default. It's still bassy enough and I feel on several songs the clarity is increased too when using that one. Below is a copy & paste of that EQ for anyone who wants to try it. I also have a "Bass Lighter" one that I use for a few songs, but it's very rarely used. Poweramp lets you save EQ presets, which is awesome. 

When I used to root (back on my old HTC One M8), I used viper4android too. You may wanna try out Poweramp Alpha 704 too. It's experimental, but works very well, and it does sound a little better than regular Poweramp. 

Bass Light: 

0bmgw7BgkwPFtY2EoXrjIwj4EcqLSyMM8uXxXrperwjW6LCvOJT42nZu2cpNAojoI2YwcQMh64WXYOyZlJOvlLtAfle2gFZujTlMr3F6v5nYlcglzi0BHeXiT06s7ryWsQahkeZ9Onj-fWWk8iaUFLSpnl8gzB_bM6m7NS6Ull0xeC9Opwei8ZYxJ6yDYELNUkNPUVxYGDXLE049Y82MWqjpZIshp2NNgIM9EjVPTKz72LAR8xSIb9HCCSm-KQD31Kv-sSjZ1pDO5uEeuIw2eqGYOfs8-sYAktViDazgtkESHzaMiaQY45eg7E41lPhwARcA2sJ3xAfgZqOsFi8bXVFBBOAzsIejUrD-EnqIa5VsU08Xf9kQ4O0Uoqd5Adm6gvDFt25sdU6VTfqYpv1Up_QhCh9S0tzvGT2mH4zj3GOeXf9LUol7xyCI_bHxXblve6FguFccgLLyiX0gxud2VRpHYGMbXE63XgrLT71DF7Qs-Vciwt_kT1xyyDUSXJhjaJAQ1xjpAhIX3ul_1YPt0vdEgdYAtZpYN-bx7gowpaAJH7xzPqaPk_g-FViE7YT88D8QKq9cRVDiruddX9C5gbRQheEBNKPThr_rvaButQXbM78k7Q=w518-h919-no

Bass Lighter: 

5fAJdbJRW9jLRWPxMOJm9BTzqMK1i3eMX6IJ6dfaQjqdziu8OmEp1cIb0dnZg66CwUO0wFyW5u_BZVLhiR9gHDjZa4smL87hflutgmR43L6IoR_pjPz_Pypg9FcXyEYtH2N7YN0MJM04kqC90k3vAu8aSuWHP7UmO5jK0hOfbnZGpi51nEpwjE54WH_tpMxiZzOzUaYUCpP-XMFMAx13rAcG1snT4SNJISVfLz_HOk78Vmb1cd53B1XAOrY99aiGQaolHX8L6a0xwNt-vjR0aTMFkRVK3Djw2gvMH5iS-1f2-DVF4Cu-gD46Ig6bNDsxYAu_x9dGQstGO9DtBO1hWEHLuVJ6-MzUjWUiOWLNQTJgoLOkaWOhNy6RuARFaUIyHWicRsQRpJ1H080pXoZ0eu1H3Hq4owsfKc1hLQGJ7SPuOEhr7l-fcf5tS4TPPsPesiIRC8GGJtTqpXcpoRGHV36E5iL5lviZq7eoL4yzaAFUumbLZ29Xinu11KylIb3fBN_dsbmtnMW6mfygqbBmrVGlL4zxy36yOedHgLNnzOxbOrbiS86QMpmsH_G71j3z_2yeilgxbtjJwpE0X1yXczVlzlZBHWeNqcJwo4f1jXhlLY9R-A=w518-h919-no

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #193 of 432
Lol,I guess Im an audiophile lite+

Thank you for the presets,I also use poweramp alpha!
Though,when I set it to rock,there's too much treble!

On a side note,do you have DVC turned on or off ? I don't know if I should turn it off and increase the preamp or just leave it on.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #194 of 432
Lol,I guess Im an audiophile lite+

Thank you for the presets,I also use poweramp alpha!
Though,when I set it to rock,there's too much treble!

On a side note,do you have DVC turned on or off ? I don't know if I should turn it off and increase the preamp or just leave it on.

Haha. 

YW! Nice!!

I dunno. I used "Flat" on certain headphones in the past and it was better, but on the Cs, it doesn't sound as good. "Rock" though in the past.............the reason I switched to "Flat" was b/c "Rock" was causing some popping sounds in the higher end. I don't think I hear that now, but I'm going to keep looking out for it. You can always bring down the mid or highs EQs too I guess. Just be careful with that. lol

I actually checked on this again just last night. I have decided that DVC turned on is actually better b/c u get more volume, and I couldn't detect any added distortion when it was on (this is an issue that HTC phones have though, FYI). So yeah, leave it on. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #195 of 432

I used for both the stock 3m cable from the Se, and the stock 3m from the CS, which to me sound the same. I wear them like it was suggested in the reddit thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back