bandwidth in PCDPs?
Dec 12, 2005 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nph134

Head-Fier
Recently I was looking around for a PCDP, after getting a bit bored of iPods and mp3s etc. Anyway I got a d-ne20 in the end which I'm very happy with. Before anyone jumps on me bear in mind I think SQ on all and any portable device is suspect and I just wanted a small, flexible, good battery life with decent sound from a portable. If I want great SQ and extended bandwidth I use my hi-fi separates system.

Anyway my question is: most portable devices quote a bandwidth of 20Hz to 20kHz, with a PCDP if they quote a bandwidth is that likely to be the max bandwith obtainable in general even using the lineout or will it be the bandwidth obtainable from the headphone jack through the amp? I guess they will probably just quote the best value so I guess it's lineout bandwidth?

would be nice to know the bandwidth limiting factor(s) of a PCDP - ie. DAC, AMP, general electronics, buffer/anti-jog system, optical/mechanical parts or perhaps a combination of all?

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 3
My guess is they quote it solely for marketing reason and it has no bearing whatsoever on sound quality
biggrin.gif

Nobody worry about that kind of specs on a pcdp doesn't tell you anything. Everything from the cheap ass to the expensive, from crappy to good say the same thing 20-20K great. To be note also price sometime is not correlated with SQ
wink.gif
But what would I know maybe someone else can educate me.
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 3
i think more concern is the quality of the digital to analog converter and the amp they use for the headphone out. i know that the dne20 use digital amp instead of analog to save battery life, i know its still a good sounding player though.

as for freq range, really doesnt mean much to me. even headphones same thing. i cant here down below 30hz and over 17khz. more importantly and the freq response, now flat/neutral it is across the chart.

i dont even want to listen to music with freq range at 18khz actaully, at that point i cant even or barely hear it and yet at very high volume can damage my hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back