Balanced Tube Amps Under $1500? (See Criteria Below)
Apr 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus
While I've been here for a decent amount of time and have heard all the flagships, I'm still running a single ended, $1500 setup, and need some help with some future preferences and setups. So, I'm using an HD650 (not planning on upgrading to a HD800 or LCD-2 for a little while as I'm a little short on money as of the moment) with a 2 pin balanced cable that's going to be arriving soon, the Whiplash Audio TWag V2. Seeing as I already have a balanced DAC on board that's entering into high end, I'm looking strictly at a balanced tube amp. I've considered the WA22, but it is a little out of my price point. So, I need some help, here is what I'm looking for:

1. Needs to be tube based with a lot of options for rolling, no solid state at all.
2. Needs to be at or under $1.5K
3. Needs to synergies well with the HD650, preferably more bright and a bigger soundstage, but warmth is fine as well.
4. Needs to look someone decent, can't be an ugly amplifier.

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 9
Sounds like LD MKVIII to me.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 9
Apr 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Bottlehead Smack, or LD VI+ or VIII with a cable adapter? Making a pigtail adapter seems your best bet to me (maximum flexibility too, since you could create one for the 2x3pin xlr balanced amps too). 

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Bottlehead Smack, or LD VI+ or VIII with a cable adapter? Making a pigtail adapter seems your best bet to me (maximum flexibility too, since you could create one for the 2x3pin xlr balanced amps too). 

I may have to consider that option. I'll take a look at the Smack as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back