Balanced solid state amp with "end game" power?
Sep 11, 2023 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
So I am using my RME ADI-2s headphone out with Extreme Power mode on for 90% of my listening sessions. I also own an SMSL SP200 running balanced off the RME.

I was at a meetup and someone had the original Hifiman HE6, I had to max out the SP200 and even then it didn't get very loud.

The HE6 is one of those "edge case" headphones I realize. I have been debating getting a really "end game" balance solid state amp but I am not sure what to get?

I've been looking at Violectric amps for a while but they have so many products to pick from I'm not sure. I really don't need any sort of DAC, the RME ADI-2 is great.

Any recommendations?

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 5
If I was in the market for an endgame amp, I'd put my money on the iCan Phantom.

If I had an unlimited budget, the dCS Lina system sounds amazing.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 5
I've had the HE6se a few times, even on the Topping A90 Discrete on balanced, if you do a -6db preamp reduction to EQ them, with pre-volume war recordings it will be maxed out. The Topping E70 Pro has even more power to handle those on the balanced side though. The sensitivity on those is just a black hole for most amplifiers. Try the extended version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight by Genesis and trying to get the quieter passages loud enough with a preamp reduction on those is like the stress test for amps. I currently have an A30Pro, A90, and A90 discrete. If/when I get another HE6se, I'll only try it after getting an E70Pro on the balanced connector. The first batch had issues which have been fixed, but I'd go with Apos to ask if they're selling the fixed ones or the original first batch.

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 5
There is a new king in the "hardest headphone on the planet to drive". The Modhouse Tungsten, with its 150 ohms and a staggering 78 sensitivity. Those specs put it at the very top of the heap.

I've been in contact with its creator and he has used and likes various Violectric amps, which isn't to say that other amps can't get the job done, but apparently they are an excellent pairing.

I can suggest either the Violectric v550 for a more neutrally tuned amp with lovely staging and technical prowess, or the re-issue of the vaunted v281, which is a warmer, thumpy sounding amp. The only place to get that amp is through Power Holdings in the USA. He ordered 100 of these amps, and once theyre gone he doesn't expect more to be built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back