Balanced my Grados by dropping it in hot water?
Feb 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vvaffles

100+ Head-Fier
So here is the story, i was trying to open them up to do the wire mesh mod on the grados sr60s, was using the boiling water and **** hanger clip thingy trick.

So the tut saids it takes about 15 mins for it to fully open up, i dip both drivers (right before the wire hole) into hot water and ran upstairs to grab a towel, to my horror, in the 15 seconds i was gone it opened, and the drivers completely submerged into the water.

Long story short, i tested it to see if it works (without putting it together, just to see if it played any sound), then went though with the mod, but when i put it all back together, the sound signature changed. kinda sounds like my K701s, without the sound stage

Is there an scientific explanation for this? or am i just tripping out?

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 7
wait for it to completely dry before using it or you could permanently damage it. leave it to dry for at least a week just to be sure.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 7
its been about 4 days, if anything i think it sounds better then before, but maybe i am just rationalizing

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Hindsight may be 20/20 but you got a load of bad advice. The water doesn't need to be boiling, nor do you need to submerge your shells for 15 minutes. You just need water hot enough to steam up and to place your cans in (driver side up) for just long enough to loosen up the glue.

I doubt you warped your drivers, but running wet, they won't sound right.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 7
You can also use the silica gel packets that typically come with shoes to dry them out... That is their purpose, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back