Balanced Earphones/IEM's
Mar 29, 2009 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

polecat89

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for some earphones/IEM's for the first time, after always using whatever came with my iPod or other device. I've been wanting to do this for a while but have never convinced myself to plunk down the money.

I'm looking for something in the $150-$300 range with balanced sound, good build, and comfort. I've been doing some research, but honestly am I bit overwhelmed and not sure what direction to go in.

What prompted this is that I have gift certificates to spend at Best Buy, but obviously the selection in-store and online is pretty limited. And I guess the key for me is getting something with balanced sound - the UE SuperFi 5's and Shure SE210/SE310's seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum on this, with the UE's more on the bass-adict end but still with an articulate high, and the Shure's with the less-defined low end. Also, what about single driver vs. dual driver?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 10
See if you can get Best Buy to price-match with an online retailer, and get yourself a pair of Shure SE530's. They're absolutely wonderful, with a sound that you can indulge in for hours. Really comfortable, too.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 10
Your description pretty much screams Phonak Audeo PFE. Read all the Phonak threads in this forum (there are plenty) and see if it is the one for you... I'm pretty confident its what you are looking for.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Go to the pfe website to order. As of 2-1/2 weeks ago you get a 10% discount for using coupon code "YTECH10" when prompted. I was on the fence until I saw a reviewer on CNET.com reveal the code, then I made the plunge. I've had them for 2 weeks & never looked back. Sweet.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 10
get the white pfe's if you can, there have been fewer cases of defects and case cracking (1 head fier vs 5+ head fiers)
ie, I have small cracks on the housing of my black pfe's

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your description pretty much screams Phonak Audeo PFE. Read all the Phonak threads in this forum (there are plenty) and see if it is the one for you... I'm pretty confident its what you are looking for.

x2

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See if you can get Best Buy to price-match with an online retailer, and get yourself a pair of Shure SE530's. They're absolutely wonderful, with a sound that you can indulge in for hours. Really comfortable, too.

Bestbuy doesn't typically pricematch online retailers, but if you find a manager in a good mood and if the price isn't that different they will for cheaper stuff. Not for high end headphones like those though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back