Balanced DAC --> Unbalanced Amp = Problem?
Feb 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wdahm519

500+ Head-Fier
I'm building both a balanced Opus DAC with balanced outputs, and a Bijou unbalanced tube amp right now.  It just hit me that it might not work very well going straight from a balanced output on the DAC to an unbalanced input in the amp. 

First, if the +V and -V of the balanced signal are connected to the V and ground of the unbalanced input, then you'd get twice the voltage at the unbalanced input.  Is this correct? 

If the unbalanced V and ground are connected to the +V an -V balanced terminals (i.e., unbalanced output going into a balanced input), then I'm not sure that would work at all, since odds are the balanced input really does want equal/opposite voltages.

Does anyone have a definite answer here?

TL;DR --> Do I really absolutely NEED to use this http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/linestages/ballsie.aspx

Thanks.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 5

No you don't need the ballsie. Just connect the V+ and ground to your RCA jacks. I think you'll be -4db quieter but that's why you have an amp!

I currently have my 1/2 finished Opus DAC configured this way until I get my balanced amp built.

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Oh thank goodness.  That saves me about $100.  Thanks for the valuable information man.

So for the RCA's you go:

Left Channel V+, Ground
Right Channel V+, Ground

?

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Yup, as simple as that! May people actually prefer the sound of DAC without an output stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back