Balanced cable for Sennheiser HD 650
Jul 2, 2011 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys, 

I've read about the improvements that using a balanced cable with the Sennheiser HD 650 brings over using the HD 650 with an  unbalanced cable, and I was wondering if any of you have a balanced cable that can be used with the Sennheiser HD 650 that you would be willing to lend for a week or so to let me hear how it sounds instead of me just buying a balanced cable without hearing how it affects the sound. If you do lend me one, I promise I'll take very good care of it.

Thanks for reading this. :)

Windsor

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 5
For a balanced cable, you need a balanced amp (XLRs).  Doesn't the Lavry just have a 1/4" output on the front?  

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 5
You can use the balanced line-out in the back, but it will be deafeningly loud.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 5
There are two XLR (L+R) outputs on the back of the Lavry DA 10 and I've not connected anything to them since purchasing it, so I'm unaware of the volume they would provide.

Also, I was just reading on the Lavry forums and Brad Johnson from Lavry technical support advised against using the XLR outputs to drive headphones. He stated that most of the advantages of balanced cabling can be had by keeping the left and right side wires separate until they meet the jack plug, a bit like the HD 650 stock cable. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Not sure if the back outputs are fixed or a preamp-like output that can be adjusted, I'm fairly certain it's the former - so you'd have to use your source's digital volume control (if it's a computer) in that case.  My buddy used a cable with XLR females to let his preamp drive his HD650s and was pretty happy with it.  I'm not sure if, impedance wise, they are intended for that purpose - chances are they are not.  Pretty much every HD650 cable out there including stock is identical to any balanced cable in layout, except for choice of connectors at the end.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back