Balanced B22
Apr 24, 2008 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Is the balanced b22 the end of the road in terms of sound quality and performance from either a diy or a commercially available perspective?

What other amps out there which blow this thing away, if any, or what other amps are n a par with it either tube, ss, diy or commercialy available.

cheers

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 10
I have yet to be convinced of the universal benefits of balanced.
I think it may be better in theory, but it seems single ended has been much more studied/explored/implemented.

One specific example of this is the 6moons review of Esoteric's SACD/CD player, the SA60. He found the balanced to be far inferior in sound characteristics than S.E.

The SE betta 22 I have can compete with my Ear HP4. Both were purchased used, the B22 costing about 1/3rd as much
eek.gif

That said, I am not giving up my HP4 any time soon.
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have yet to be convinced of the universal benefits of balanced.
I think it may be better in theory, but it seems single ended has been much more studied/explored/implemented.

One specific example of this is the 6moons review of Esoteric's SACD/CD player, the SA60. He found the balanced to be far inferior in sound characteristics than S.E.

The SE betta 22 I have can compete with my Ear HP4. Both were purchased used, the B22 costing about 1/3rd as much
eek.gif

That said, I am not giving up my HP4 any time soon.
wink.gif

Im not sure whether to get the se 3channel version or the full balanced version?

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 10
The Beta 22's designer has said there is currently no commercial equivalent that exists. It is also presently the most advanced circuit design on the market. Take from that what you will.

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

What sort of price range does a used HP4 sell for?
I don't actually ever think I've yet seen a used one for sale mind you and the new price is a little rich for my thin blood but I've lusted after one for a while now.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the balanced b22 the end of the road in terms of sound quality and performance from either a diy or a commercially available perspective?

What other amps out there which blow this thing away, if any, or what other amps are n a par with it either tube, ss, diy or commercialy available.

cheers

The balanced Beta22 I have heard may not have been the end of the road, but I could definitely see it from there. Even with my tube bias, I would be really hard pressed to say anything is substantially (if any - only because I have not heard a B-52) BETTER than. Doubt you would be wondering IFF something is better once you had one.

Now, depending on your cans, there may be better synergies, but in that neighborhood it will be the tiniest of variations which you might prefer over something else.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 10
If you're looking for the end of the road in sound quality, you should at least listen to balanced.

For the Senn 650's, IME balanced is 20% better, at least if I could put a number on something not really measureable.

BTW, IMO, there ain't no end of the road, just a certain emptiness in the wallet. :xf_cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back