Balanced Amps- what are they, and why does my Fiio E6 seem to qualify?
Mar 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

suitheist

New Head-Fier
First, I have just bought my first good headphones and have no idea what 'balanced' means in this context, aside from the info in the instruction manual which came with my IEMs and occasional cryptic (to me) references I have spotted on these forums.

I have RE262 IEMs, which are balanced but have a modular cable system so that they can be used with unbalanced sources. When I plug them direct into my iPad/Phone without a converter cable, they pop a little and then there is sound from the left side only. With the converter everything works as you would expect.

The odd thing is that when I plug them unconverted into my E6, it seems to perform the same function as the converter cable. I have read that there are hardly any balanced amps around, so presumably the E6 isn't one. What exactly is going on here? Can I run them this way (saves on cable length) without any problems?

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 4
Regular, single ended signal are three in total, the left, right and ground.

Balanced 3.5mm TRRS socket has this kind of signal: (from tips) L+, R+, L-, R- (to sleeve). There are 4 connecting pins. L+/R+ are the regular signal, L-/R- are the negative of the regular signal. Together, the L+ and L-  'balance' each other out (same go for R+ and R-). That's why they are called balanced signal.

The 3.5mm socket in E6 is actually a TRRS socket, but used like this: L, R, G, G. So basically you are still getting a regular, single ended signal. That being said, E6 is not balanced, it just happens that the socket itself functions the same way as the converter cable that comes with your RE262.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Ah, ok- that explains a lot. Well at least I can use it to shorten my headphone cable and put the amp in a more useable position (jacket pocket hight). 

I assume there is meant to be a SQ benefit to using a balanced amp. Is it large enough to make it worth looking into for the future, since the headphones can use one?

Edit: I just found a post which said the cheapest balanced amps were $900+, so I think I may have to relegate this to the VERY distant future.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Portable balanced amp is more around $300~$500. If you go for a semi-balanced (balanced ground) setup, it can go as cheap as $190 (iBasso T5 with BTL ground) or $350 (Meier Audio 2StepDance with Active Balanced Ground). 2StepDance is very close (if not identical) sounding to a true balanced setup, and it has the benefit of using  a single end connection. T5 also quite close to a balanced setup, but not quite as good as 2StepDance.

For RE262, the benefit of going balanced is not quite as important as RE272. I'll say getting decently analytical and transparent sounding amp is better than getting a balanced amp that might cost twice or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back