Aka: DroppingDimes; trapper1, OGKoosh, kappachino, Yajirobe1
Rude and abusive
solid state, not a fan of tubes with the lcd3

options I'm looking at:

mjolnir (mjolnir 2)
bryston bha1

anyone else have any suggestions?

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 14
Audio-GD NFB-6 and Master 9 are also balanced and powerful and clean. Violectric V281 I would love to try myself.

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Burson  conductor, sounded great.

Luxman DA200 and P1.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 14
Burson conductor is not balanced but is a great unit. They should consider designing a balanced amp 
cool.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 14
My question is, is it worth it to look for a balanced amp?

I'm also looking at Mjolnir and BHA-1, but I'm not FULLY convinced balanced is better than single-ended.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Usually not unless you're running cables over distances, or need the extra power that most balanced designs seem to offer. Or you're really worried about channel crosstalk.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Usually not unless you're running cables over distances, or need the extra power that most balanced designs seem to offer. Or you're really worried about channel crosstalk.

Yes, exactly my understanding too.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #12 of 14
My question is, is it worth it to look for a balanced amp?

I'm sure this will start a flame war, but I honestly think headphones do not truly benefit from balanced amps, especially orthos. 

Orthos aren't moving a coil with varying impedence/frequency curves, so all the added slew rate stuff has no benefit. Plus, any amp that is competent will have enough slew rate for dynamic headphones.

My thought is to buy the amp that you want--based on the specs and voicing that you prefer. If it happens to be balanced or unbalanced, so be it. Don't exclude one topology based on title alone.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 14
  I'm sure this will start a flame war, but I honestly think headphones do not truly benefit from balanced amps, especially orthos. 

Orthos aren't moving a coil with varying impedence/frequency curves, so all the added slew rate stuff has no benefit. Plus, any amp that is competent will have enough slew rate for dynamic headphones.

My thought is to buy the amp that you want--based on the specs and voicing that you prefer. If it happens to be balanced or unbalanced, so be it. Don't exclude one topology based on title alone.

I think I agree. Nice to know I don't have to spend more...
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back