Balanced advice: Should I bid farewell to my HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp/DAC?
Jun 4, 2014 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mrAbundio

New Head-Fier
Hello, wise audiophiles!

For a long time I've had a setup consisting on the venerable HD800's, and HeadRoom's UltraDesktopAmp/DAC. They've served me well, but I always thought the sound was a bit too "dry" and bright. I heard Audeze's LCD-3s the other day, and I decided to switch to those. But now, the real question becomes:

What to do with my good old HeadRoom Amp/DAC? 

Which in truth is hiding these questions:

- Should I move to a balanced setup? Will that be better than what I have?
- If I don't, and get something like the WA6-SE, will that be definitely better than my UDA?
- ...and if I do (oh my...I'm afraid of asking this question) what Amps/DACs should I consider, specifically for these headphones? I've heard the AURALiC is a very good DAC, perhaps that, plus a WA6 for Amp? 

Bonus question: Please educate this illiterate audiophile (I've spent too much time listening to music, and too little investigating the current state of things in the audio market) about the reasons to pick tubes Vs solid state equipment.

Budget: Let's say this doesn't matter right now.

I realize these questions are asked all of the time, but hey, my main frame of reference is whether my Amp/DAC setup needs an upgrade or not.

All feedback welcome. Thanks!!!

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Oh, and by AURALiC, I mean the Vega. 
smile.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Regarding tubes, the reason to get tubes vs SS is that they maybe, sometimes sound different depending on circuit design.  And because they glow, which makes everything sound better.
wink.gif

Going balanced has some advantages that you may or may not hear.  If nothing else, it will make everything louder at lower volume.  Its up to you if you wanna give it a try.  It definitely wont be worse than a single ended amp as long as you are using good gear in front of it (like the Vega).

Plenty of option to look at, balanced and unbalanced.  With no budget restrictions, a few amps I'd look into for the LCD3 are the Headamp GSXmkII, the Apex Peak/Volcano (with an upgraded tube), and the AURALiC Taurus mkii.

All are top notch.

For cheaper, you can get a Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir combo for $3K.  Fully balanced, and it sounded pretty good to my ears with an LCD-X.

Just a few things to think about, and make your decision harder.  Good luck.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 4
Wow! That was excellent advice and definitely pointed me in the right direction. Thanks!

After looking at some more reviews, I think I'm going to build a Gungnir/Bryston BHA-1 combo. This is very exciting....can't wait to have the setup organized and ready!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back