Balance Cable for DT1990 Help
May 6, 2019 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rinalice

New Head-Fier
Hello, I hope to understand a little more about balance cables and balanced headphones cause I feel I made a purchase mistake. Feel free to comment ahead with feedback, advice or any sort, would really appreciate it!

Cable:
3-pin mini XLR to 4-pin XLR Termination [Periapt Cable]

Story:
I wanted to try a full balance setup with SU-8 and THX 789 Amp (arriving in June) with my headphone but since it uses 3.5mm to 3-pin mini XLR, I thought I could switch to it for it to be a balance cable with an after-market cable 4-pin termination to a 3-pin mini XLR for my DT1990. I didn't really understood well at the time since what I knew was as long there's four wires/4-pin XLR it will be a balanced cable. Only recently when I research a little more or when the 177X GO surfaced on Massdrop/Drop with a 4-pin mini XLR and researched a bit about AKG Balanced mods, I realized I might have made a bad mistake since you need 2x 3-pin mini XLR for the 4-pin XLR to be actually balanced or convert the 3-pin mini XLR to a 4-pin mini XLR.

My Question:
Now I have a 3-pin mini XLR and it's not truly balanced cable as its not possible with a single input with the DT 1990. I'm wondering if I can still use the cable as normal without damaging any hardware equipment and if it's actually balanced or an unbalanced signal (some explaination or a link to it if it's possible).

May 10, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi there,
I think you're right: you'll likely cause damage to your headphones and/or amplifier if you use that cable. You would be creating a short between the negative pins. Balanced cables, etc., have R+, R-, L+, and L-; single-ended cables, etc., are R+, L+, and G.

If you look in the DT 1990 thread, there is somebody that modded their headphones to have a 4-pin XLR, which would be a much easier mod than adding a second 3-pin to the other earcup.

May 10, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 6
My Question:
Now I have a 3-pin mini XLR and it's not truly balanced cable as its not possible with a single input with the DT 1990. I'm wondering if I can still use the cable as normal without damaging any hardware equipment and if it's actually balanced or an unbalanced signal (some explaination or a link to it if it's possible).

Not with a balanced output amplifier since the L- and R- are soldered into a common ground on the 3-pin side and in your headphones.

AFAIK the CTH amp on Massdrop has an alternate 4-pin XLR that still runs single ended instead of balanced and is just there so people won't need adapters to use a headphone wired for balanced drive with it.

May 11, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi there,
I think you're right: you'll likely cause damage to your headphones and/or amplifier if you use that cable. You would be creating a short between the negative pins. Balanced cables, etc., have R+, R-, L+, and L-; single-ended cables, etc., are R+, L+, and G.

If you look in the DT 1990 thread, there is somebody that modded their headphones to have a 4-pin XLR, which would be a much easier mod than adding a second 3-pin to the other earcup.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I guess I learnt my lesson before actually testing it thankfully, now know that i can't really use the cable for my current needs and have to keep it somewhere. I've also read and google'd around the balance mod for it and is rather risky for me to attempt.

Not with a balanced output amplifier since the L- and R- are soldered into a common ground on the 3-pin side and in your headphones.

AFAIK the CTH amp on Massdrop has an alternate 4-pin XLR that still runs single ended instead of balanced and is just there so people won't need adapters to use a headphone wired for balanced drive with it.

Thank you for your explanation & reply! Basically it's still usable with specific non-balanced amp with a 4-pin connector like the CTH Amp with SE. It really cleared up a with what I can do with the cable and can't.

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi, I have a question related to this topic.

Can you use a balanced cable like this one - https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...ucts/multi-kit-2-desktop-necessities-ic-1-2-3
With a THX 789 and DT1990/1770's?
Is it safe as the THX 789 Amp is not truely a balanced amp? Thanks, still a rookie with all this and really appreciate your time!

Chase
It depends on what's meant by "not truly balanced." A balanced amp has separate channels for right+, right-, left+, left-, while single-ended is right+, left+ and combined right/left- (called GND). If the amp is designed so that the "not truly balanced" output has separate negative (-) channels, then it is NOT safe to use with a single-ended headphone/cable. On the other hand, if the negative channels are shared between left and right, then it would be safe. Without knowing how the amp was designed, it's not really possible to know whether or not it's safe. Does that make sense?

Anyway, my advice is always to play it safe rather than being sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back